D23 Dissapointment

doctornick

Jeffrey Epstein confirmed this morning via twitter that there will be no Parks and Resorts presentation.

To be fair, here is what was said:

WDWThemeParks: "Can you confirm that there will be no Parks and Resorts arena presentation?"
Jeffrey Epstein: "Correct."

So -- assuming this is correct -- this doesn't rule out P&R presentations at D23. Just P&R arena presentations. There could still be smaller displays.

Taylor

Not announcing anything parks related at D23 is utterly stupid, unless they're announcing stuff a couple of weeks before and are unveiling art at D23 but still not smart.

NoChesterHester

To be fair, here is what was said:

WDWThemeParks: "Can you confirm that there will be no Parks and Resorts arena presentation?"
Jeffrey Epstein: "Correct."

So -- assuming this is correct -- this doesn't rule out P&R presentations at D23. Just P&R arena presentations. There could still be smaller displays.

I think in this case you don't have much reason to be optimistic.

Pixiedustmaker

Not announcing anything parks related at D23 is utterly stupid, unless they're announcing stuff a couple of weeks before and are unveiling art at D23 but still not smart.

Undoubtedly there will be years when there aren't big announcements regarding the parks. They can't very well make something up just to have something theme park related to talk about at D23.

NoChesterHester

Undoubtedly there will be years when there aren't big announcements regarding the parks. They can't very well make something up just to have something theme park related to talk about at D23.

All they announced last year was Fantasy Faire. Not exactly earth shattering.

So you are saying there are no projects underway for the next two years?

Pixiedustmaker

All they announced last year was Fantasy Faire. Not exactly earth shattering.

So you are saying there are no projects underway for the next two years?

Certainly, it is a matter of public record that beyond the $6 billion already spent on parks/resorts during the downturn, and outside of Avatarland (budget at least) and continued work in MK, such as the 7DMT, there will be no major construction projects in the U.S. parks in the immediate future.

Shanghai is a big project, there are a lot of novel worries associated with it. This is a major construction project that will be, and is, underway. Disneyland Paris's early loses impacted WestCot/Longbeach plans, Disney really worries about giving the appearance that it overbuilt, or even underbuilt, in the case of Hong Kong.

For the Disney geek there have been a lot of amazing projects recently, and more still to come:

1. Mystic Manor, awesome attractions
2. Grizzly Gulch, a real Disney original
3. NFL . . . I got my qualms about Mermaid, but BoG looks great, and 7DMT at least is a step, or two, above Barnstormer, YMMV.
4. Shanghai Disneyland. New attractions, new castle park design . . . certainly fodder for what might make its way back to the states.
5. Carsland isn't even a year old yet

NoChesterHester

Here is why this sucks to me and I don't think it should not be overlooked...

The Parks and Resorts presentation at the D23 Convention is the equivalent for Disney Parks fans that the keynote at the WWDC for Apple fans. As the industry leader Disney should not fear unrealistic expectations, but instead try to surprise and innovate in a way that we couldn't see coming. The D23 Convention is the perfect forum to do so and as a hard core parks fan I find it absolutely insulting. Instead they felt that the 2011 Parks Presentation was a failure due to sky high fan expectations, and it was, so instead of trying to address that by actually knocking our socks off they cancel it.

Think of how the Apple Fanboys would melt down if next year a month before the WWDC Apple announced that they aren't going to show anything new, just "give you an unprecedented look behind our process." ?

So let me get this straight, while ticket prices go up and quality goes down we should sit by complacently while WDI beats their own drum about how they used to create world class experiences. Oh... and we get to see a bunch of crap that never got built to just further incense our fandom.

This sucks. No doubt about it and no sunshine pumping fool is going to make me think otherwise.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Certainly, it is a matter of public record that beyond the $6 billion already spent on parks/resorts during the downturn, and outside of Avatarland (budget at least) and continued work in MK, such as the 7DMT, there will be no major construction projects in the U.S. parks in the immediate future.

Where did you get that piece of information? In the quarterly report conference call from May of 2012, Iger said:

"we do not have -- once Fantasyland opens in Florida, we don't have any other big projects right now, other than building out Avatar land at Animal Kingdom. But our capital expenditures, US, for our parks business will decrease."

So at the time of the statement they had no big projects in the works, but that doesn't mean they weren't going to start any more. He did say the capital expenditures would decrease, but that is decreasing from a pretty big number. I recall Jay Rasullo saying that the capital spending on parks would be over $1billion per year, but well less then $2 billion. So let's call it $1.25 billion per year, that still a pretty good number.

MerlinTheGoat

Pretty much every trusted insider on these forums have stated on numerous occasions lately that DHS is getting a major overhaul in the very near future. Said to be starting this year. And they've got reputations for being correct on such matters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom