D23 Dissapointment

NoChesterHester

Highly likely that Disney announces new attractions for WDW before D23. They need to get some positive press up and they need it FAST.

As a reaction to the fan community meltdown or as a reaction to these latest rumors out of Universal?

Way to take the wind out of the sails on D23 then. Are they just admitting that this is the last go around for the convention?

Sue_Vongello

Highly likely that Disney announces new attractions for WDW before D23. They need to get some positive press up and they need it FAST.

Are they aware of the internet backlash?

Do they realize that with all the news outlets reporting announcements at D23, they will look foolish if they do nothing?

Pixiedustmaker

The D23 Convention is the perfect forum to do so and as a hard core parks fan I find it absolutely insulting. Instead they felt that the 2011 Parks Presentation was a failure due to sky high fan expectations, and it was, so instead of trying to address that by actually knocking our socks off they cancel it.

Woah, . . . D23 is a convention, the planners can't ask Burbank to spend a ton of money on a new land just so they can have something to talk about. If there aren't any major new announcements, then it makes sense that they scale down this presentation, and focus on other stuff. No doubt D23 will have a big audience.

Apple products have a faster turnover rate. Who is using a 2006 MacBook? Yet guests enjoy rides built decades ago, like Pirates, Splash . . . theme park investments are expensive and take a longer amount of time to turn a profit.

2012 was an awesome year, Disney bought Star Wars and explicitly stated they are looking at ways to expand that franchise presence in the parks. It will be awesome to see Ratatouille open, and Shanghai Disneyland being built over the coming years, in addition to whatever ultimately happens in the Animal Kingdom. Theme parks are part of pop culture and have mass appeal . . . they aren't built to please the audience at D23.

Pixiedustmaker

Where did you get that piece of information? In the quarterly report conference call from May of 2012, Iger said:

"we do not have -- once Fantasyland opens in Florida, we don't have any other big projects right now, other than building out Avatar land at Animal Kingdom. But our capital expenditures, US, for our parks business will decrease."

So at the time of the statement they had no big projects in the works, but that doesn't mean they weren't going to start any more. He did say the capital expenditures would decrease, but that is decreasing from a pretty big number. I recall Jay Rasullo saying that the capital spending on parks would be over $1billion per year, but well less then $2 billion. So let's call it $1.25 billion per year, that still a pretty good number.

Don't they spend about that on upkeep for the parks and resorts?

Pixiedustmaker

Pretty much every trusted insider on these forums have stated on numerous occasions lately that DHS is getting a major overhaul in the very near future. Said to be starting this year. And they've got reputations for being correct on such matters.

It is possible that the insiders got bogus information. They also said that the D23 contingent's thunder was stolen from them by subversive elements within Disney who "leaked" the plans for Carsland, StarWarsland and possible future Pixar rides . . . Yet nothing major will be announced at D23. They also said last year that bulldozers would be going by the summer.

pheneix

As a reaction to the fan community meltdown or as a reaction to these latest rumors out of Universal?

Way to take the wind out of the sails on D23 then. Are they just admitting that this is the last go around for the convention?

No, make a token announcement and tease not very revealing artwork on some random day, then offer models and chances to meet the people behind the project at the expo.

I know I like to take the on Disney, but its actually not a bad idea to get your hardcore fans excited about new products.

Skip

Pretty much every trusted insider on these forums have stated on numerous occasions lately that DHS is getting a major overhaul in the very near future. Said to be starting this year. And they've got reputations for being correct on such matters.

Don't get him started on that. He has a very warped perception of reality and seems to believe that corporate Disney would never try to make the numbers look rosier than they actually are.

NoChesterHester

Woah, . . . D23 is a convention, the planners can't ask Burbank to spend a ton of money on a new land just so they can have something to talk about. If there aren't any major new announcements, then it makes sense that they scale down this presentation, and focus on other stuff. No doubt D23 will have a big audience.

Apple products have a faster turnover rate. Who is using a 2006 MacBook? Yet guests enjoy rides built decades ago, like Pirates, Splash . . . theme park investments are expensive and take a longer amount of time to turn a profit.

2012 was an awesome year, Disney bought Star Wars and explicitly stated they are looking at ways to expand that franchise presence in the parks. It will be awesome to see Ratatouille open, and Shanghai Disneyland being built over the coming years, in addition to whatever ultimately happens in the Animal Kingdom. Theme parks are part of pop culture and have mass appeal . . . they aren't built to please the audience at D23.

People that actually have connections and that have been proven reliable have stated there is an overhaul in the works for DHS. Stick your head in the sand. You are obviously here to spout some sort of agenda. Why?

Is this IP traced to inside Team Disney Orlando headquarters? Internet plant.

What should I find more pathetic? The lack of care toward the fan, the arrogance of believing in nostalgia, or your constant defending of it?

Sue_Vongello

People that actually have connections and that have been proven reliable have stated there is an overhaul in the works for DHS. Stick your head in the sand. You are obviously here to spout some sort of agenda. Why?

What should I find more pathetic? The lack of care toward the fan, the arrogance of believing in nostalgia, or your constant defending of it?

I have it on good authority that pixiedustmaker is Iger's mommy ... so give her a break, she's just defending her little boy, little Iggy.

pheneix

Are they aware of the internet backlash?

Do they realize that with all the news outlets reporting announcements at D23, they will look foolish if they do nothing?

No, WDC is confronting the reality that presently they are going into 2014 and 2015 with only one ride at MK and nothing else while Universal bombards them with one major new addition after another.

Disney's attendance this summer hasn't been hot either. There was already some sense of panic going around that Uni was going to tear up WDW's business like tissue paper next summer, but two more major rides coming to UO in 2015 is a death sentence to Disney's 2nd tier parks. All three of them.

The five year plan for WDW, whatever it was, is going to be more aggressive than Avatar and DHS 1.5 now. Take that to the bank.

NoChesterHester

No, make a token announcement and tease not very revealing artwork on some random day, then offer models and chances to meet the people behind the project at the expo.

I know I like to take the on Disney, but its actually not a bad idea to get your hardcore fans excited about new products.

Well of course I agree. That is what I have been obnoxiously railing about.

So the "new product announcements" may happen before D23 just so they can show off the stuff at the Expo? I guess... Just seems kind of backwards. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

MerlinTheGoat

It is possible that the insiders got bogus information. They also said that the D23 contingent's thunder was stolen from them by subversive elements within Disney who "leaked" the plans for Carsland, StarWarsland and possible future Pixar rides . . . Yet nothing major will be announced at D23. They also said last year that bulldozers would be going by the summer.
So what are you going to say when the bulldozers do end up going in the near future and the DHS overhaul is underway?

Disney has to step up their game and get cracking at expansions, they're going to eventually be left with no choice. Whether that happens sooner or later is the question, but too late and they're in for a hell of a beating when Universal really starts to cut into their consumer base. Though that is probably inevitable at this point.

Pixiedustmaker

I've got my bowl of popcorn ready, kinda doubt that Disney would *not* use a convenient media event, D23, to announce something big.

I'm sure why Disney needs more positive press now. Certainly, there have been a lot of very positive earnings reports for the company, including WDW. (Unless there is some big scandal I don't know about).

Pixiedustmaker

LOL, I obviously don't work for Disney as I complained for months about how lackluster the new Mermaid ride might be if they just cloned it from DCA. There's obviously a lot of emotion concerning a DHS partial demolition/construction project, but I'm also a realist who knows a moderate amount about the company, and the rumors seemed bogus based on the long history of how the Disney company works, and other sources of info.

It's funny, or weird, how everybody accepts it as fact that such a project would happen (irregardless of logistical problems and fiscal issues with not using undeveloped land). Some folks were 100% sure that it would be announced at D23 and that the announcement had been leaked beforehand.

PeterAlt

Well of course I agree. That is what I have been obnoxiously railing about.

So the "new product announcements" may happen before D23 just so they can show off the stuff at the Expo? I guess... Just seems kind of backwards. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
Also, how do you give "hints" about projects in the works without making announcements?

"Never mind the concept art you see there with the depiction of the Millenium Falcon. This future project that is currently being developed has not yet been announced; and, therefore, is not necessarily, in any way, has anything to do with Star Wars (attraction or "land" thereof)."

BrianLo

I don't think people go to D23 just so they can hear a big announcement. Should Disney in the future announce a major project at WDW, it will be a CNN-worthy announcement and will broadcast to far more people than those in attendance at D23.

Kinda doubt that Disney would *not* use a convenient media event, D23, to announce something big.

Now you are just being contrarian on purpose. Sooo, which is it?

I know... don't feed the trolls...

Pixiedustmaker

So what are you going to say when the bulldozers do end up going in the near future and the DHS overhaul is underway?

There don't appear to be any bulldozers . . .

Disney has to step up their game and get cracking at expansions, they're going to eventually be left with no choice. Whether that happens sooner or later is the question, but too late and they're in for a hell of a beating when Universal really starts to cut into their consumer base. Though that is probably inevitable at this point.

So, let's say that WDW grosses about $400 million a year in operating income. That's profit to throw into the vault. Let's say that Uni's Potterland 2.0 brings in more guests into Orlando, maybe Disney's profits falls a bit, but they are still pulling in $375 million, heck it might go up given that you have more guests coming into Orlando.

Realize that they could make WDW's yearly profit off of one Star Wars film. Realize that they are looking at expanding into emerging markets. Realize that NFL is greatly needed guest capacity, and that Avatarland will draw in folks, perhaps folks who aren't Potter fans.

In the end this whole, "Disney has to do this or they'll be toast!", is just hyperbole from fans who want something new immediately and can't wait 4-5 years.

Pixiedustmaker

Now you are just being contrarian on purpose. Sooo, which is it?

I know... don't feed the trolls...

Trekkies go to Star Trek fans to be part of the experience, meet people with like interests, and see cast from the shows. Sure, if there was an announcement about a new t.v. show why not *use* the convention as a way to stir up interest.

If nobody goes to D23, then I guess I'll be wrong. I suppose everybody will return their tickets and fling their rotten tomatoes at the convention center because they are upset that rumors were, in the end, just rumors.

Having Johnny Depp at D23, announcing big things at D23 raised the profile of the convention, it is advertising, nothing more. If there ain't anything to announce, then there ain't anything to announce. Conventions go on without big announcements.

pheneix

There don't appear to be any bulldozers . . .

So, let's say that WDW grosses about $400 million a year in operating income. That's profit to throw into the vault. Let's say that Uni's Potterland 2.0 brings in more guests into Orlando, maybe Disney's profits falls a bit, but they are still pulling in $375 million, heck it might go up given that you have more guests coming into Orlando.

Realize that they could make WDW's yearly profit off of one Star Wars film. Realize that they are looking at expanding into emerging markets. Realize that NFL is greatly needed guest capacity, and that Avatarland will draw in folks, perhaps folks who aren't Potter fans.

In the end this whole, "Disney has to do this or they'll be toast!", is just hyperbole from fans who want something new immediately and can't wait 4-5 years.

$400 million was just about UO's profit contribution to Comcast in 2012. Do you have any idea about the business that you are talking about?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom