D23 'Destination D: Walt Disney World 40' coming Spring 2011

Tigger1988

Original Poster
How much was it for the DL events if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Here's the archived page on the D23 site with the prices http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/031010_EE_DestinationD.html

I think many of us are in the same boat. I booked a room pre-emptively. At least that I can cancel if things don't pan out. I want to buy airfare but there is no point since I don't know event times/schedule. As far as tickets, I am assuming this won't be particularly limited since they are holding it in large venues. If it turns out they decided to do something stupid with the amount of tix available and I don't get one, I'm going to explode!

We're DVC members so booking a last minute room isn't too much of a hassle but I agree that plane tickets are the biggest pain in all this.

I just want them to give us some info! I don't see what is taking so long.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
There's plenty of folks on the East Coast who would correct you and say that D23 is really just a Southern California-centric organization. Very few D23 events have been held at WDW, all the action has been centered in Anaheim or the El Capitan in Hollywood, and this latest dust up over the first Destination D in WDW is another good example.

D23 members in SoCal, and even those who aren't D23 members but just like to crash their parties like the big D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center, never have to worry about flights and hotels. We just jump in the car, stop for an iced Mocha at the Starbucks drive-thru on Katella Avenue, and cruise over to Disneyland for the latest event. :cool:

The same goes for the Disney Parks Blog events, of which Disneyland hosts unique events regularly, while the official WDW bloggers never seem to do anything but post updates to pin releases, merchandise offers, and menu changes from their air-conditioned TDO cubicles. No WDW face-time for Disney Parks Bloggers whatsoever at custom events, in complete opposite of the Disneyland scene.

D23 needs to either grow their staff substantially from the half dozen well-meaning Disney geeks sitting in a Burbank office and get a satellite office staffed in Orlando, or just give up on this global concept and simply call it the Official Disneyland Fan Club, which is what it really is.

Amen! I've been D23 since day one and I will probably be D23 for at least another year. I really want to attend the Expo. I do hope they get their WDW-based act together soon otherwise I won't be renewing beyond 2011. In my email to D23 I even made a point of mentioning that the clientele they are dealing with in WDW doesn't live down the street like they do in DL. Time off of work, flights, rooms, and dining (because us WDW folks can't just waltz up to a restaurant and expect to get served some time during that calendar year) reservations. If staffing is the issue I will gladly leave my job here in NJ, move to FL, and become the east coast D23 coordinator. :lookaroun

PatriciaH

Does anyone know if they let Cast Members do the Scavenger hunt at DL? If so were they able to win prizes? I may have 3 on my team if we do it at WDW.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
This is very frustrating. I can't book flights or anything until I know I have a ticket to the event, and I'd like to book a flight soon while the rates are lower.

It seems like they don't realize that at WDW, people are coming from all over the country, whereas with their Disneyland events, it's mostly locals, therefore they can release info later.

It's VERY frustrating there is not more concrete information available.

PatriciaH

Lets keep asking them for details by e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Maybe they will get sick of us and hurry up and get their acts together;)

Monsterfan99

I was all ready to attend then the price came out. The simple fact that the real D23 event is cheaper by around $50 bucks is very off putting.

Figment82

I've decided not to attend the D23 Expo this year, so I'm looking forward to attending this one instead. The price tag is a little high, but I wouldn't need to make air and hotel arrangements. Does anyone know how limited the tickets were for the Disneyland version of this event? It's frustrating when everything sells out in a matter of seconds.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I was all ready to attend then the price came out. The simple fact that the real D23 event is cheaper by around $50 bucks is very off putting.

That kinda threw me for a loop too. Granted I don't have to pay to fly completely across the country for this event, but still. Looks like I am making a rather large donation to D23 this year since I am planning to go to both Destination D and the Expo in August. :lookaroun

lilclerk

Ooh, I wasn't sure I wanted to go to this, but it looks fantastic... gotta convince my friend it's worth it :lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The more people put off by the price the better. Makes my chances of getting tickets even better :lol:

Exactly. :lol: I'm probably going to have to leave my ticket purchasing to a friend anyways since I will be at work when they go on sale. Need all the help I can get. I'm wondering just how limited this is going to be. Anyone have a clue on the square footage or capacity of the Fantasia ballroom?

EDIT: Did some Googling. Fantasia ballroom is huge! 44,000 square feet. It appears it can be broken up into pieces. As a whole it seems to hold between 2,000 and 4,000 people. Even if they used just one piece of the three biggest areas it seems like it can hold at least 600 people.

http://disneymeetings.disney.go.com/dwm/resorts/resortFacilities?name=ContemporaryResortFacilitiesPage

Tigger1988

Original Poster
Anyone around who went to Disneyland's version of the event? I'm curious as to how fast it sold out seeing as it was held in a considerably smaller ballroom (18,000 sq feet).

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Anyone around who went to Disneyland's version of the event? I'm curious as to how fast it sold out seeing as it was held in a considerably smaller ballroom (18,000 sq feet).

I'm curious about this too. Also, does anyone know of a way that I could find a partner to do the Scavenger Hunt? I really want to play!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom