D23 'Destination D: Walt Disney World 40' coming Spring 2011

Maerj

At Destination D in California they talked about the CoP quite a bit during their world's fair segment and how it much influence Walt had on it. Considering it is the only attraction in Walt Disney World, to have a direct physical tie to Walt Disney, hopefully if will get a new ending in 2011.

I know that a lot of people would like to see a new ending to this attraction but I think a slight re-themeing would work much better. If they would theme each segment to an innovation or invention that had a direct impact on the American family they wouldn't have to keep updating the ending. More focus on the inventions of a particular time rather than trying to keep updating to keep with present. I dunno, just an idea. A post show should then be added where guests could help to create future innovations.

fireworkz

I know that a lot of people would like to see a new ending to this attraction but I think a slight re-themeing would work much better. If they would theme each segment to an innovation or invention that had a direct impact on the American family they wouldn't have to keep updating the ending. More focus on the inventions of a particular time rather than trying to keep updating to keep with present. I dunno, just an idea. A post show should then be added where guests could help to create future innovations.

Maybe, not a bad idea in theory. But WDI, the fans and dare I say even TDO seem to agree the only reason CoP is still around is because it's "Walt's Show" and the historical value it has within Disney Corp. Other than altering the final scene with current tech any re-theme would be off limits because then it wouldn't be Walt's show anymore and CoP's days would become seriously numbered. Also your last idea sounds too much like the descent in Spaceship Earth for my liking!

maelstrom

The DL 55th Destination D just wrapped up. From what I have read it was a small 2 day event, low-key and not sold out. But a great event from what I have read. If this WDW version is as nice, yet still low key with lots of nostalgia it could be a great little event to attend.

I'm pretty sure that Destination D did sell out. I seem to recall looking at the website again after I bought my tickets and it was sold out. There were A LOT of people there.

EpcotCenter82

This is certainly exciting and I plan to attend. I hope they announce the dates soon. Wonder if this event will coincide with the re-opening of Star Tours?

wvugeoggrad

I'm pretty excited about this, I wanted to go to Destination D in DL but couldn't this year. I'm really looking forward to doing a scavenger hunt in WDW! :)

jmuboy

D23 has announced the talks/events at the WDW 40th event will mirror the DL 55th event just focused on WDW. From what I have seen that is a good thing! I'm looking forward to this event.

Maybe, not a bad idea in theory. But WDI, the fans and dare I say even TDO seem to agree the only reason CoP is still around is because it's "Walt's Show" and the historical value it has within Disney Corp. Other than altering the final scene with current tech any re-theme would be off limits because then it wouldn't be Walt's show anymore and CoP's days would become seriously numbered.

Uh, no... The current script bears only a resemblance to Walt's original creation. Besides minor changes here and there, there have been 3 major versions I believe. The original World's Fair/DL version with Rex Allen as Father and the full Progress City model as the second story finale. The first WDW version with "Now is the Time" replacing "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". And the current version, whose script I feel in a bit defeatist toward Progress (Father keeps saying things like "It'll never work.").

Despite my quibbles with the current script, I don't want a full removal of the show, just changes (while keeping in the spirit of the original). I would even welcome a return to the original script recordings perhaps, I really love the tone of that version.

jt04

I'm positive this won't be the only event relevant to the 40th. Things will happen throughout the year, even after Oct '11 passes.

Yes, and they could be having this event in the spring to announce some of the 40th anniversary offerings that could begin October 2011. Hopefully phase 1 of the FLE will be opening on the 40th. Who knows?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Anyone have new info yet? I see the dates as May 12th-15th on D23.com, but no new ticket info yet.

Nothing yet. I actually emailed D23 two days ago begging for further info to be released. All I got was a "we'll be updating the site soon" response. I need to book flights people!

Tigger1988

Original Poster
Nothing yet. I actually emailed D23 two days ago begging for further info to be released. All I got was a "we'll be updating the site soon" response. I need to book flights people!

Same thing happened to me! I asked simply for clarification on prices (based on the Disneyland version of the event) and got "we should be updating soon". Thanks....big help.

I can't book a trip until I have confirmation that I possess tickets to the event. D23 events sell out in seconds so they're really putting us in a difficult position.

PatriciaH

Same thing happened to me! I asked simply for clarification on prices (based on the Disneyland version of the event) and got "we should be updating soon". Thanks....big help.

I can't book a trip until I have confirmation that I possess tickets to the event. D23 events sell out in seconds so they're really putting us in a difficult position.

How much was it for the DL events if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

I think many of us are in the same boat. I booked a room pre-emptively. At least that I can cancel if things don't pan out. I want to buy airfare but there is no point since I don't know event times/schedule. As far as tickets, I am assuming this won't be particularly limited since they are holding it in large venues. If it turns out they decided to do something stupid with the amount of tix available and I don't get one, I'm going to explode!

Findus

How long has D23 been around now 2 years?

As a supposedly "worldwide fanclub" it still seems to be completely U.S centric in terms of benefits to it's members.

I'm not saying the Expo should be moved to Disneyland Paris, but when they can offer a 40% discount off the Broadway version of Mary Poppins why can't D23 members elsewhere be offered benefits such as discounts on West End Disney shows in the UK (for example) or even discounts of Disney DVD's/Blu Rays.

The best way surely would have a European/Far East Arm of D23 to organise such benefits where the US is not their point of origin.

TP2000

How long has D23 been around now 2 years?

As a supposedly "worldwide fanclub" it still seems to be completely U.S centric in terms of benefits to it's members.

There's plenty of folks on the East Coast who would correct you and say that D23 is really just a Southern California-centric organization. Very few D23 events have been held at WDW, all the action has been centered in Anaheim or the El Capitan in Hollywood, and this latest dust up over the first Destination D in WDW is another good example.

D23 members in SoCal, and even those who aren't D23 members but just like to crash their parties like the big D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center, never have to worry about flights and hotels. We just jump in the car, stop for an iced Mocha at the Starbucks drive-thru on Katella Avenue, and cruise over to Disneyland for the latest event. :cool:

The same goes for the Disney Parks Blog events, of which Disneyland hosts unique events regularly, while the official WDW bloggers never seem to do anything but post updates to pin releases, merchandise offers, and menu changes from their air-conditioned TDO cubicles. No WDW face-time for Disney Parks Bloggers whatsoever at custom events, in complete opposite of the Disneyland scene.

D23 needs to either grow their staff substantially from the half dozen well-meaning Disney geeks sitting in a Burbank office and get a satellite office staffed in Orlando, or just give up on this global concept and simply call it the Official Disneyland Fan Club, which is what it really is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom