Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

mickEblu

The very end of the presentation

"Just look around you at everything we have shared. As I mentioned at the top, I am so excited for everything we are doing. I can't wait for you to see these projects start to come to life over the next five years."

We can definitely parse words. But, Josh is not Chapek, he chooses his words quite clearly. He even corrected Scott Trowbridge at one point who very innocently said 'may' with "no, we 'are' doing these things".

Though I would also say end of 2029 into early 2030 counts as five years.

Hmmm. I had never seen the actual quote. Now I’m less optimistic. To me starting to come to life over the next 5 years probably means some of the announced projects starting and finishing in the next 5 years and not necessarily all of them finishing. It could even mean some of them starting construction as late as 5 years from now. I could see Villains land for example coming a few years into the 2030’s in this case. With all of that said according to OG55 apparently there was an announcement that wasn’t on the live steam where D’Amaro addressed the audience saying everything announced would be done by the end of the decade. But now I’m not so sure that he didn’t misinterpreted something.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Hmmm. I had never seen the actual quote. Now I’m less optimistic. To me starting to come to life over the next 5 years probably means some of the announced projects starting and finishing in the next 5 years and not not necessarily all of the finishing. It could even mean some of them starting construction as late as 5 years from now. I could see Villains land for example coming a few years into the 2030’s in this case. With all of that said according to OG55 apparently there was an announcement that wasn’t on the live steam when D’Amaro addressed the audience saying everything announced would be done by the end of the decade. But now I’m not so sure that he misinterpreted something.
Indeed. I’m not sure why people are clinging to that 5 year comment, because he moved on very quickly from Villains land to make this very general comment about things starting to happen over the next 5 years. He certainly didn’t say it would be open by then and in terms of it being under way, well, we know it is under way on some level because they produced a piece of artwork which is part of the whole process. How far it is beyond that is anyone’s guess. They’re certainly not clearing the site or anything.

DarkMetroid567

Is there a reason why Disney construction takes as long as it does? I’ve seen giant Manhattan skyscrapers with over 400 units be built within a span of 3 years.

I know Florida weather is more dodgy but it doesn’t really compute why a multi billion dollar company like Disney has issues with expedited construction.
As an aside, very few modern Manhattan skyscrapers take only three years to build. You’re looking closer to 5-7 years. One Vanderbilt took 4 and that was pretty quick.

But in general, a lot of construction setbacks are land-related. Skyscrapers, inherently, don’t need to worry about that to the same extent.

BrianLo

Hmmm. I had never seen the actual quote. Now I’m less optimistic. To me starting to come to life over the next 5 years probably means some of the announced projects starting and finishing in the next 5 years and not necessarily all of them finishing. It could even mean some of them starting construction as late as 5 years from now. I could see Villains land for example coming a few years into the 2030’s in this case. With all of that said according to OG55 apparently there was an announcement that wasn’t on the live steam where D’Amaro addressed the audience saying everything announced would be done by the end of the decade. But now I’m not so sure that he didn’t misinterpreted something.

Things can and do slip. But even without that general context, I’d be pretty surprised if Villains Land was well beyond 2030. As slow as we think they are to build things, 2029 puts this on a very, very similar timeframe to other projects that were ‘approved’ early In their project development like DAK’s Pandora or both Galaxies Edges. That’s assuming almost no work has been done on this project, even.

I mean, we’ll know definitively if we don’t see any work on Villainsland by mid 2026.

I still strongly believe the goal schedule is;
2027- Tropical Americas, Avengers
2028- Cars, Monsters Inc, Avatar
2029- Villains, Coco

It makes sense from their current stated plans, which is to have consistent things to market annually so that people don’t feel like they can skip out on their resort of preference. It’s an actually good strategy (but, yes the realist in me says they don’t stick to things).

As dramatic as this all seems though, it actually isn’t currently more than what WDW pulled off from 2017-19. It’s actually slightly less. But I still think there are many more smaller projects to come.

mickEblu

Things can and do slip. But even without that general context, I’d be pretty surprised if Villains Land was well beyond 2030. As slow as we think they are to build things, 2029 puts this on a very, very similar timeframe to other projects that were ‘approved’ early In their project development like DAK’s Pandora or both Galaxies Edges. That’s assuming almost no work has been done on this project, even.

I mean, we’ll know definitively if we don’t see any work on Villainsland by mid 2026.

I still strongly believe the goal schedule is;
2027- Tropical Americas, Avengers
2028- Cars, Monsters Inc, Avatar
2029- Villains, Coco

It makes sense from their current stated plans, which is to have consistent things to market annually so that people don’t feel like they can skip out on their resort of preference. It’s an actually good strategy (but, yes the realist in me says they don’t stick to things).

As dramatic as this all seems though, it actually isn’t currently more than what WDW pulled off from 2017-19. It’s actually slightly less. But I still think there are many more smaller projects to come.

Possible but why not word it differently and say everything will be completed by the end of the decade? The words he used seem very carefully chosen. I agree with 2027 Tropical Americas. I can see Avengers being late 2027 or 2028 (if they start early 2025) with Monsters. Coco I can see mid 2028 if they start early 2026. Avatar 2029/ early 2030 to have synergy with Avatar 4. I can see Villains being 2032 but maybe they push for 2031 for MKs 60th.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Possible but why not word it differently and say everything will be completed by the end of the decade? The words he used seem very carefully chise. I agree with 2027 Tropical Americas. I can see Avengers being 2028 with Monsters. Coco 2029. Avatar 2029/ early to have synergy with Avatar 4. I can see Villains being 2032 but maybe they push for 2031 for MKs 60th.

2032? Thats so slow though, much slower than they moved last decade, on anything. If I'm taking them on their word that these projects are approved and funded, they don’t take 8 years.

It was worded that way because they announced a 2031 cruise ship and they were displayed beside him and around the auditorium on the screens as he made that comment. Plus I think five years rather than ‘this decade’ was chosen to allow 2030 slippage.

2032 means they realistically don’t start Villains Land until 2028. Josh has put himself in a position where he’s going to show up for two D23’s in a row, having claimed “shovels were in the ground” during the Villains announcement? We can check back in two years from now, I certainly will still be here. But Josh will have put himself in a terrible position if there isn’t visible construction on every single project (other than possibly Coco, which is I think why it was called out), by summer 2026.

I think the projects most liable to slip are the 2028 ones. Probably not cars, that seems super aggressively proceeding. But most likely I’m being too optimistic on DCA due to the eastern Gateway holdup. I want to see evidence of that project basically start by Q1, same with Avengers.

mickEblu

2032? Thats so slow though, much slower than they moved last decade, on anything. If I'm taking them on their word that these projects are approved and funded, they don’t take 8 years.

It was worded that way because they announced a 2031 cruise ship and they were displayed beside him and around the auditorium on the screens as he made that comment. Plus I think five years rather than ‘this decade’ was chosen to allow 2030 slippage.

2032 means they realistically don’t start Villains Land until 2028. Josh has put himself in a position where he’s going to show up for two D23’s in a row, having claimed “shovels were in the ground” during the Villains announcement? We can check back in two years from now, I certainly will still be here. But Josh will have put himself in a terrible position if there isn’t visible construction on every single project (other than possibly Coco, which is I think why it was called out), by summer 2026.

I think the projects most liable to slip are the 2028 ones. Probably not cars, that seems super aggressively proceeding. But most likely I’m being too optimistic on DCA due to the eastern Gateway holdup. I want to see evidence of that project basically start by Q1, same with Avengers.

I think all of them will be completed by 2029/2030 except for Villains Land. I think if you consider how ambitious the land looks, all the other construction projects and where Villains lands on the timeline it appears that mid to late 2031 for MKs 60th is the move. It is slow even by Disney standards but have there ever been this many projects being constructed at the same time domestically?

BrianLo

I think all of them will be completed by 2029/2030 except for Villains Land. I think if you consider how ambitious the land looks, all the other construction projects and where Villains lands on the timeline it appears that mid to late 2031 for MKs 60th is the move.

Just a reminder that this was Galaxies Edge 1 year from now. The location wasn’t even quite set in stone at Hollywood Studios or barely had been. An entire ride was still to be cut. It opened four years later.

1723918841196.png

It is slow even by Disney standards but have there ever been this many projects being constructed at the same time domestically?

Maybe not Both, but WDW was actually more than this backbone plan we have.

2016 was Disney Springs, we have next to nothing of significance for this time point. DS was a pretty major project with multiple parking garages and bridges. Plus, let’s not undersell they launched a new resort this year in China.
2017 was Pandora, Harambe stage, a night show, new restaraunt. Arguably bigger than one-ish new attraction and a land/ride overlay.
2018 was Toy Story Play land, a front gate redo, the cars show and MMRR. Maybe smaller than Cars/Monsters Inc.
2019 was Skyliner, RIV, Galaxies Edge. Epcot was actively underway as was Tron. Galaxies Edge also opened at Disneyland.

mickEblu

Just a reminder that this was Galaxies Edge 1 year from now. The location wasn’t even quite set in stone at Hollywood Studios or barely had been. An entire ride was still to be cut. It opened four years later.

View attachment 810104

Maybe not Both, but WDW was actually more than this backbone plan we have.

2016 was Disney Springs, we have next to nothing of significance for this time point. DS was a pretty major project with multiple parking garages and bridges. Plus, let’s not undersell they launched a new resort this year in China.
2017 was Pandora, Harambe stage, a night show, new restaraunt. Arguably bigger than one-ish new attraction and a land/ride overlay.
2018 was Toy Story Play land, a front gate redo, the cars show and MMRR. Maybe smaller than Cars/Monsters Inc.
2019 was Skyliner, RIV, Galaxies Edge. Epcot was actively underway as was Tron. Galaxies Edge also opened at Disneyland.

I forgot to mention that I’m also factoring in what they were trying to accomplish with these announcements. They went big trying to get us optimistic for the future of the parks again. So I think they announced the max of what the realistically could get done in the next 3-7 years. I think if Villains were to open up before 2031 it would be an absolute best case scenario without hit any snags on any of the other projects. Seems like a lot has to go right for Villains since it’s last and perhaps the most ambitious of all the announcements. And by then who will be complaining with all the new stuff recently added and something really big to look forward to for the 60th?

Stagecoach

With indiana jones stunt spectacular moving to animal kingdom [when I was there in sept 23] they had the entrance bit up and signage stating indiana jones stunt spectacular, before placing boarding around that area ,and with storm troopers moving to star wars land ,monsters inc will go all around that area where stunt show was

Nubs70

Is there a reason why Disney construction takes as long as it does? I’ve seen giant Manhattan skyscrapers with over 400 units be built within a span of 3 years.

I know Florida weather is more dodgy but it doesn’t really compute why a multi billion dollar company like Disney has issues with expedited construction.
It appears that WDW only allocates a fixed amount of $$ for construction (CAPEX) per quarter. As a indidual attraction does not have an explicit income per ride (LL not included), ROI is difficult to define. Therefore, construction expenditures have to be justified across park ticket sales as a whole. If park attendance decreases without price increases (no revenue increase), one can expect construction timelines to increase.

bwr827

Come to life in 5 years doesn’t mean open in 5 years. It means legit construction is taking place and over 5 years projects are planned to open and continue to be constructed.

That’s my understanding.

Villians is early on - they couldn’t start building today if they had flat land and wanted to. “Earth is moving” yeah they are prepping for work around MK that will allow for lots of construction that will prep the land to build a villains land on top.
A new attraction hasn’t come to life if it’s only being constructed. They clearly meant expect these awesome new things within the next five years.

bwr827

I think all of them will be completed by 2029/2030 except for Villains Land. I think if you consider how ambitious the land looks, all the other construction projects and where Villains lands on the timeline it appears that mid to late 2031 for MKs 60th is the move. It is slow even by Disney standards but have there ever been this many projects being constructed at the same time domestically?
Villains is not opening that late - other projects are coming.

The next five years will be exciting times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom