Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

aladdin2007

Disney MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, Grand Floridian, Wonders of Life, Norway, Splash Mountain (DL), Yacht Club, Beach Club, Port Orleans, Old Key West and more were all built at the same time.
and Dreamflight...even though just within a building that was already there.

Haymarket2008

Yeah he just seems like a merch placement. It’d be better if he had like a walk around or something but idk. He feels like a industry plant to me. And i know he has history in the past but still. Country bears and figment are the REAL wdw original characters to me.

Orange Bird is just a much a part of the fabric as Figment and the Bears. He had a blip in time when he went away, but he was a major part of the original 70's experience. He's a literal embodiment of Disney/Florida.

My mother was a fan back in that first decade. She even has a great pic with his walk around character back in 1974.

Here's a good video on his history:

TrainsOfDisney

Disney MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, Grand Floridian, Wonders of Life, Norway, Splash Mountain (DL), Yacht Club, Beach Club, Port Orleans, Old Key West and more were all built at the same time.
Those were the days! I’ll add that all 5 of those resorts listed got boat / watercraft service. The Grand didn’t require much more than a dock but I’m pretty sure the others required some if not quite a bit of significant waterway construction?

mickEblu

Let me rephrase. Anytime recently? As in the last 10 -15 years, since they’ve been making announcements at the first D23 in 2009 or under Iger? They built Disneyland in a year too.

Wow impressive run though.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here is the announced timeline for WDW attractions to be completed:

2025 Sum – MK night time parade, Starlight​
2025 ???? – MK – Pirate’s Lounge​
2025 ???? EP – Test Track refresh reopens​
2025 ???? EP – SSE Lounge​
2025 Wint DAK – Zootopia in Tree of Life, “Better Zoogether”​
2026 ???? DHS – New story to Smugglers Run feat. Mando and Grogu​
2027 ???? – MK Cars mini land, 2 rides, / Start: early 2025 /​
2027 ???? DAK – Tropical Americas: Indy, Encanto, Carousel Start 2024​

So, there are only three WDW new attractions that don't have a date. One of them is "underway" and the other two start next year.
???? ???? – MK Villains Land / Start Aug 2024 (“underway”) /​
???? ???? – MK DVC Lounge (former shooting range) / Start 2025 /​
???? ???? DHS – Monstropolis – hanging coaster / Start 2025 /​

Unless Monstropolis take 4 years to build, and Villains, 5 years; everything mentioned above will be finished well before the five year mark of 2029.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Here is the announced timeline for WDW attractions to be completed:

2025 Sum – MK night time parade, Starlight​
2025 ???? – MK – Pirate’s Lounge​
2025 ???? EP – Test Track refresh reopens​
2025 ???? EP – SSE Lounge​
2025 Wint DAK – Zootopia in Tree of Life, “Better Zoogether”​
2026 ???? DHS – New story to Smugglers Run feat. Mando and Grogu​
2027 ???? – MK Cars mini land, 2 rides, / Start: early 2025 /​
2027 ???? DAK – Tropical Americas: Indy, Encanto, Carousel Start 2024​

So, there are only three WDW new attractions that don't have a date. One of them is "underway" and the other two start next year.
???? ???? – MK Villains Land / Start Aug 2024 (“underway”) /​
???? ???? – MK DVC Lounge (former shooting range) / Start 2025 /​
???? ???? DHS – Monstropolis – hanging coaster / Start 2025 /​

Unless Monstropolis take 4 years to build, and Villains, 5 years; everything mentioned above will be finished well before the five year mark of 2029.
It won’t all be finished by 2029 and definitely not well before 2029. Villains isn’t even excepted to begin real construction until after cars land is built. That’ll likely put it 2030+. I’ll also be shocked if they complete cars, monsters, and dinoland replacement in 2 years and open in 2027 with their track record.

The next 2+ years look pretty underwhelming in terms of new things when so much is and has been needed.

If only they’d learn to add new (additional) attractions and make AK a full day park with a great night show. I still can’t believe they aren’t technically adding any net new attractions there when it needs about 5 new rides in addition to what they have now

doctornick

It won’t all be finished by 2029 and definitely not well before 2029. Villains isn’t even excepted to begin real construction until after cars land is built. That’ll likely put it 2030+.

Where are you getting that from? There is no reason they need to wait until Cars is done before starting on Villains. And they even said at D23 that "work has already begun" on Villains (though who know what that really means).

The beauty of working on currently unbuilt and backstage land for Villains is they have a lot more flexibility in their construction timeline.

MLevell

I just went and re-watched the panel. At the end Josh D'Amaro says after recapping 'The New Lands, Attractions, Shows, Ships, and A Whole New Digital Universe'

"I can't wait for you to see these projects start to come to life over the next five years"

The ships won't be ready till 2031 but they are among the things starting to come to life over the next five years.

doctornick

I just went and re-watched the panel. At the end Josh D'Amaro says after recapping 'The New Lands, Attractions, Shows, Ships, and A Whole New Digital Universe'

"I can't wait for you to see these projects start to come to life over the next five years"

The ships won't be ready till 2031 but they are among the things starting to come to life over the next five years.

D'Amaro said "The projects that we announced for Magic Kingdom, they represent the biggest expansion in the park's entire history. And these are already underway - earth is already starting to move"

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Where are you getting that from? There is no reason they need to wait until Cars is done before starting on Villains. And they even said at D23 that "work has already begun" on Villains (though who know what that really means).

The beauty of working on currently unbuilt and backstage land for Villains is they have a lot more flexibility in their construction timeline.
We’re talking about the announcements at D23. Not Fantasyland

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If it breaks ground in 2026 ... 2029 doesn't seem crazy to me.
If it breaks ground in 2026, 2028 should be doable but they like to work slow and the longer the time passes the more changes can be made to their original plan.

things should have already been under construction and ready to open something big next year then they could stagger the big things (themed land openings) better

doctornick

If villains opens in 2029 I’ll be in complete shock. Would like to see it happen, but I’ll be shocked (unless it’s scaled back and then rushed just to open something)

There’s two different points here. When does Disney expect/plan to open Villains land vs when does it actually open. Right now, the intent and expectation from Disney is for it to open by 2029. Obviously things could happen that would delay that but it’s certainly reasonable they could open the land in that timeframe. It’s five years away.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
There’s two different points here. When does Disney expect/plan to open Villains land vs when does it actually open. Right now, the intent and expectation from Disney is for it to open by 2029. Obviously things could happen that would delay that but it’s certainly reasonable they could open the land in that timeframe. It’s five years away.
From an online source:
  • For a typical new thrill ride or dark ride attraction, the construction timeline is often 3-5 years. This allows for the design, engineering, fabrication, and installation of the ride systems, show elements, and supporting infrastructure
  • Larger, more complex attractions like roller coasters or dark ride-based lands can take 4-6 years to complete. Projects like the new Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge land at Disney's Hollywood Studios took around 5 years from announcement to opening.
  • Expansions to existing lands, such as adding a new ride or show to an established area, usually require 2-3 years for design, permitting, and construction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom