D23 2024 Disneyland Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

Misted Compass

Im getting the sense there’s at least one big surprise for Disneyland. It’s only Thursday and we’ve already seen behind the scenes video for Avengers and Avatar has already been confirmed. Not to mention Potrock saying DLR will be getting a lot of announcements. There has to be at least one big surprise. Tomorrowland/ PeopleMover? Frozen? Third Gate? Coco ride at DCA? I don’t know about the latter. That would be a lot of announcements for DCA. Not that it doesn’t need the help.
The cynic in me thinks it's just them hyping up the AA going into Lincoln, but I'd love to be surprised.

Hopefully they’ll give the wakanda expansion (as part of Disneyland forward) the quinjet ride. Although that will probably never happen 😂 Although regardless of the good news, the higher ups still have to stop budget cutting everything. Because as evidenced before, you have the give the creatives a good budget. If you give them a low crappy budget they won’t be able to do much even though they are talented

MoonRakerSCM

I assume the 'big stuff' is just a full announcement and layout of the park expansions in anaheim. Also they may be announcing and presenting layout for the 'not disney springs' toy story lot development.

My assumption is by sundaybmorning well have full layouts of the new lands etc. And will be able to fawn over them comparing to satellite imagery seeing how the expansion fits into places etc.

britain

I assume the 'big stuff' is just a full announcement and layout of the park expansions in anaheim. Also they may be announcing and presenting layout for the 'not disney springs' toy story lot development.

My assumption is by sundaybmorning well have full layouts of the new lands etc. And will be able to fawn over them comparing to satellite imagery seeing how the expansion fits into places etc.

They seem to be giving off “historically big announcement” vibes, but the very nature of DL Forward is “30 years worth of expansion space”.

Even if they pull back the curtain and show off a model with every inch of former parking lot space filled with attractions, about 75% of it will still just be conceptual blue sky stuff.

You don’t want them greenlighting attractions today that won’t open until 2055!!!

PiratesMansion

This is promising, BUT a few caveats that come to mind:
1.) It says he's been the creative lead at TDR for the last 13 years. Fantasy Springs aside, I don't know that anyone who closely follows TDR would say the last 13 years has delivered all that much truly *special* in that time frame. What happened in the last 13 years? They killed a lot of great entertainment (at TDS particularly) for character-filled, often inferior replacements of varying degrees of quality and had some minor updates that were fine at best and added, truly added, almost nothing. GRANTED, I don't know how much of that is on him, necessarily, and it could be that he was trying to do more interesting things only to be stymied by OLC. The aftermath of Fukushima and Covid also weren't on him and undoubtedly did some damage as well to the OLC's planning and bottom line.
2.) Even if he is the all-around good guy here to restore quality additions to DLR, it's meaningless if TDA or some other force within TWDC holds him on a tight leash or otherwise interferes in a way that would constrain those DLForward plans.

TP2000

They seem to be giving off “historically big announcement” vibes, but the very nature of DL Forward is “30 years worth of expansion space”.

Even if they pull back the curtain and show off a model with every inch of former parking lot space filled with attractions, about 75% of it will still just be conceptual blue sky stuff.

You don’t want them greenlighting attractions today that won’t open until 2055!!!

Even Bruce Vaughn, in his profanity-laced announcement yesterday ;), stated the Disneyland projects would be coming forward for "more than a decade".

I would imagine that the bulk of the new stuff announced this weekend headed to Disneyland Resort won't arrive until after the 2028 Olympics. And that's not even touching the DisneylandForward expansion plots across Disneyland Drive, as those are to be used into the 2040's and early 2050's for park expansions.

britain

This is promising, BUT a few caveats that come to mind:
1.) It says he's been the creative lead at TDR for the last 13 years. Fantasy Springs aside, I don't know that anyone who closely follows TDR would say the last 13 years has delivered all that much truly *special* in that time frame. What happened in the last 13 years? They killed a lot of great entertainment (at TDS particularly) for character-filled, often inferior replacements of varying degrees of quality and had some minor updates that were fine at best and added, truly added, almost nothing. GRANTED, I don't know how much of that is on him, necessarily, and it could be that he was trying to do more interesting things only to be stymied by OLC. The aftermath of Fukushima and Covid also weren't on him and undoubtedly did some damage as well to the OLC's planning and bottom line.
2.) Even if he is the all-around good guy here to restore quality additions to DLR, it's meaningless if TDA or some other force within TWDC holds him on a tight leash or otherwise interferes in a way that would constrain those DLForward plans.

This reminds me of when they appointed Bob Weiss as head of WDI right before DCA 2.0. Bob was in charge of classic Disney-MGM. He had proven that he knew how to make limited space charming and attractive.

Daniel Jue seems to have similarly proven himself to build pretty IP-driven lands in urban areas requiring careful infrastructure rearrangements. Just what DL Forward requires.

TP2000

KOGO here in San Diego just had an update on the big doings up in Anaheim for D23 Expo. From that radio report, and what I've seen on social media, it seems Disney plussed up and expanded the D23 showfloor exhibits, which is great as they'd gotten a bit skimpy by the 2019 Expo.

What's even more impressive is they went big into this D23 Expo during some rather tumultuous times for the entertainment industry. Paramount just announced today a fresh round of 2,000 layoffs for its Santa Monica based headquarters (well paid white collar jobs), and other SoCal media studios have laid off a lot of people the past year or so. Disney stock has taken a 20% hit in the six months leading up to the opening of D23 Expo. Etc., etc.

But it's good they are ignoring the temporary economic backdrop and framing this D23 Expo as a kickoff to a very big decade ahead, especially for the Parks! Disneyland will continue to survive stock lows and highs, wars and terror attacks, pandemics and energy crises, Great Recessions and boom times, 14% unemployment and 3% unemployment.

Disney is smart to realize Disneyland will still be here 10 fiscal years from now, and that it's going to need a bunch of new rides, shows, and parades along the way.

Slip N' Slide.jpg

TP2000

If I was there I’d be over to the right….. sleeping in the Hilton! It’s fun to be part of the craziness that is d23 though.

Me too! But I'd be at the Marriott across the way racking up Bonvoy points.

I have to think many of those folks were after limited edition merchandise to sell on Ebay or something. Or are just truly diehard Disney fans flush with the enthusiasm of youth. But again... at least it keeps them out of pool halls.

TP2000

I've got family in town, but the kids are doing a Date Nite thing tomorrow night. My sister and I are playing doubles on Saturday afternoon, but we'll be done by 5pm. Do I dare try and get home to watch this Parks Panel thing unfold online? Or do I just hole up at the Marine Room with the regulars through sundown? Will Mr. D'Amaro really deliver the goods and announce stuff to be built in Anaheim by 2027? Or will this just be more vague concept art for Anaheim projects that may, or may not, be built by 2035? Will he, or won't he? Only Mr. D'Amaro's hairdresser knows for sure.

Anyone else going to try and livestream or social media stalk the Parks Panel tomorrow at 7pm?

And by Parks Panel, of course I mean... Horizons: Disney Experiences Showcase, Hosted by Chairman Josh D'Amaro, because God knows we don't call things by normal and easy and established names any longer. 🤣

Inspired Figment

Anyone else going to try and livestream or social media stalk the Parks Panel tomorrow at 7pm?

And by Parks Panel, of course I mean... Horizons: Disney Experiences Showcase, Hosted by Chairman Josh D'Amaro, because God knows we don't call things by normal and easy and established names any longer. 🤣
it’s called that because now the Parks panel is lumped together with things like video games and retail shopping experiences I believe.so that’s why the name was changed. Granted, don’t really see the need to lump theme parks & video games together into one sector.. but you know Disney & it’s synergy system. lol

TrainsOfDisney

Are they enforcing the no coffee in the line? They used to let you bring coffee into the line - the security guy even joked with me and said “we know better than to take people’s coffee away!” When I asked.

NateD1226

By the way people are freaking out over in the WDW thread, it seems DLR might come out on top with the best announcements at this year's parks panel, and it is about time. Disney always tends to put DLR/DCA on the backburner when it comes to these events. I'll never forget how in 2017, WDW got several new ride, hotel, and restaurant announcements, and all we got was Pixar Pier lol.

The company might make some...questionable decisions at time, but I am hopeful that they have a nice path forward for Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom