Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

YodaMan

Can you blame any cast member for doing something like that? They are not responsible for the budget cuts and should not have to put up with any guest dissatisfaction that comes accordingly. If someone is upset that their favorite food item is gone, I see nothing wrong with informing them that its because of budget cuts and letting them know they should take it to someone else instead of getting yelled at for something they were not a part of and can't rationalize.

raven

It's okay to be disgruntled and share your views with coworkers backstage, not with guests on stage. Surely they still teach that in Traditionslite.

When it comes down to front line CMs having to be the one to tell guests bad news, I completely understand. "Traditions" is so rushed nowadays that you end up signing a whole bunch of stuff you don't understand. They get you in and out. Plus they don't tell you in traditions how to handle guest complaints about things that the company is doing deliberately.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Budget cuts are very real and a large problem, don't get me wrong. But will everyone please stop looking super far ahead at the schedules? Most entertainment offerings only have schedules a few weeks out. And park hours/parade/spectaculars are only finalized about a month out (and even then are always subject to change if crowds end up higher than planned). The decision of which nights will have two Fantasmics or two MSEPs, etc was only just decided for March about a week ago (usually the second-to-last Friday of the preceding month). Anything past April is honestly irrelevant when trying to look at Disney calendars for signs of the budget cuts. And using the September schedule to try and determine the fate of MSEP is ridiculous. There are practically no dates for that at all after August 29th. And there still's a whole week+ in July that doesn't have times listed for MSEP or even Wishes. It doesn't mean anything right now.

Yet Disney expects you to schedule your DINING 6 months out and your rides two months out, So why should people NOT be obsessing over entertainment schedules 6 months in the future after all they are probably scheduling their meals around rides and entertainment.

raven

Yet Disney expects you to schedule your DINING 6 months out and your rides two months out, So why should people NOT be obsessing over entertainment schedules 6 months in the future after all they are probably scheduling their meals around rides and entertainment.
I agree. While some guests like to plan, others just want to go with the flow or are first time visitors and don't know what to expect. When they get their they find their options are limited because Disney wants to know exactly where they will be and when, six months out from their visit.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Was at Magic Kingdom yesterday, menu items are also being removed as part of these cuts. We were told at the Colombia Harbor House that the Lobster Mac and Cheese (one of our favorites) was removed from the menu to cut costs.
Weird. I looked at a menu from 3 months ago, and there was no Lobster Mac and Cheese on it, so if it was removed, it wasn't recent.

MandaM

As our trip quickly approaches, I have noticed a change to hours today. On march 8th MK was only scheduled to be open until 10pm, it is now extended until 11pm.

A glimmer of hope....
That date was changed last week when the March hours were updated. I'm still not seeing anything to inspire hope with regards to the March calendar.

wogwog

That date was changed last week when the March hours were updated. I'm still not seeing anything to inspire hope with regards to the March calendar.
I can only think of two obvious reasons for the hours and entertainment cuts in February. My guess is pure budget cuts ordered by Burbank with no regard for guest enjoyment or they have projected a drop in guests coming in March. Any other reasons anyone can think of that explain this drastic change?

UncleMike101

Weird. I looked at a menu from 3 months ago, and there was no Lobster Mac and Cheese on it, so if it was removed, it wasn't recent.
Yup...........
Checking one of the "rival" Disney websites will show that WDW has changed the vast majority of it's dining menus from Oct till Feb.
Could be budget cuts.
Could be making the pre prep operations more efficient.
Could be just offering new and different items.

wogwog

Yup...........
Checking one of the "rival" Disney websites will show that WDW has changed the vast majority of it's dining menus from Oct till Feb.
Could be budget cuts.
The correct answer is budget cuts. To my ears from a WDW Chef neighbor. You have not seen the end of the dining "adjustments".

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yup...........
Could be budget cuts.
The other option could be that not enough people were purchasing the product to justify the costs. You can't have expensive lobster that isn't frozen lying around if people aren't buying it. It gets thrown away at a certain point, and can't be refrozen. We go to CHH multiple times every trip, and have never ordered it in the past. If I were in the restaurant business, I certainly wouldn't keep items that aren't selling, and this may simply be the case. Of course, we have to blame Disney cuts for everything nowadays, even if there isn't any basis in reality for it. ;)

Nubs70

Yup...........
Could be budget cuts.
The first two possibilities point to menu standardization with point 2 supporting point 1. Point 1 alone would simply be removal of choice. Point 3 alone would support replacement of choice and could support Point 1 if LMO is a lower input cost.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The other option could be that not enough people were purchasing the product to justify the costs. You can't have expensive lobster that isn't frozen lying around if people aren't buying it. It gets thrown away at a certain point, and can't be refrozen. We go to CHH multiple times every trip, and have never ordered it in the past. If I were in the restaurant business, I certainly wouldn't keep items that aren't selling, and this may simply be the case. Of course, we have to blame Disney cuts for everything nowadays, even if there isn't any basis in reality for it. ;)

Of course if Disney ran restaurants like they did in the 70's through 00's the menu and ordering would not be set in stone 6 months in advance, It would be like a 'real' restaurant where the executive chef makes menu decisions based on what's selling NOW + signature dishes which are always available.

Of course that can't be prefrozen and 'rethermalized' in a vat of boiling water...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The first two possibilities point to menu standardization with point 2 supporting point 1. Point 1 alone would simply be removal of choice. Point 3 alone would support replacement of choice and could support Point 1 if LMO is a lower input cost.

You nailed it since 'back of house' are being gutted it's gonna be menu standardization with 're-thermalized' entrees sold for michleln 2 star prices. So glad I DONT have a WDW trip planned this year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Of course if Disney ran restaurants like they did in the 70's through 00's the menu and ordering would not be set in stone 6 months in advance, It would be like a 'real' restaurant where the executive chef makes menu decisions based on what's selling NOW + signature dishes which are always available.

Of course that can't be prefrozen and 'rethermalized' in a vat of boiling water...
Well true, except that CHH is a QS restaurant, not a sit down, so like any fast food place that serves fresh seafood, it cannot take 20-30 minutes to prepare, so cannot be frozen. You can't boil frozen lobster and expect it to taste anything like fresh. If it doesn't sell, it's thrown away, and the place loses money on it. Oh, and they do still have a lobster roll on the menu, for those wanting lobster. TBH, I've never seen mac 'n cheese at CHH, except for the kids menu.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Well true, except that CHH is a QS restaurant, not a sit down, so like any fast food place that serves fresh seafood, it cannot take 20-30 minutes to prepare, so cannot be frozen. You can't boil frozen lobster and expect it to taste anything like fresh. If it doesn't sell, it's thrown away, and the place loses money on it. Oh, and they do still have a lobster roll on the menu, for those wanting lobster. TBH, I've never seen mac 'n cheese at CHH, except for the kids menu.
72084548756ed36e8d72e482e46c91f0.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom