Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Mike S

In case anyone missed it, Star Wars Fireworks are down to basically every other night instead of nightly throughout the month of May. Not sure if it can actually be considered a cut or just a side effect of ROL not opening on team, but probably still worth mentioning here.
Maybe doing things for the new show?
image.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

I don't know if this has been said anywhere yet, but Disney only owns 43% of Shangai Disneyland the government owns 57%. How does that factor into how much say Disney gets on resort operations?

asianway

I don't know if this has been said anywhere yet, but Disney only owns 43% of Shangai Disneyland the government owns 57%. How does that factor into how much say Disney gets on resort operations?
Disney owns 70% of the mgmt company though so a lot. Chinese would control any asset decisions

matt9112

truly a nightmarish scenario. Perfect for the CCP to pretty much suck dry Disney.
Its not like Iger will want to back down anyway.. its his EGO legacy in play!

Technically the CCP could just pull the rug....everyone on here keeps acting like "just wait for China to turn a profit" what of it never turns a profit for DIS what if China keeps it all. What if Disney's share evaporates. Or as you said things keep coming and they cost 5x real value. The Chinese can inflate anything. If they tell you the Mickey outfit costs 1 million to make....your writing a check.

lazyboy97o

Technically the CCP could just pull the rug....everyone on here keeps acting like "just wait for China to turn a profit" what of it never turns a profit for DIS what if China keeps it all. What if Disney's share evaporates. Or as you said things keep coming and they cost 5x real value. The Chinese can inflate anything. If they tell you the Mickey outfit costs 1 million to make....your writing a check.
Because there is no benefit for these types of actions and to date there is no requirement that everything be sourced from state-owned companies. Even the fully state-owned parks don't do that.

matt9112

Because there is no benefit for these types of actions and to date there is no requirement that everything be sourced from state-owned companies. Even the fully state-owned parks don't do that.

No benefit??? All the ride tech and secrets ect and the blueprints to make the most popular park on earth. There's no reason to leave Disney in the loop.

lazyboy97o

No benefit??? All the ride tech and secrets ect and the blueprints to make the most popular park on earth. There's no reason to leave Disney in the loop.
Ride system technology gets copied all the time and very few of the ride systems at the park are new and unique. The design is something that can be bought without Disney or Universal being involved. Disney was never needed to begin with if this was the goal.

matt9112

Ride system technology gets copied all the time and very few of the ride systems at the park are new and unique. The design is something that can be bought without Disney or Universal being involved. Disney was never needed to begin with if this was the goal.

True but it's alot easier to have it all put in front of you and avoid all the trial and error of traditional reverse engineering. I don't think CCP will pull the rug but I do believe they can use the park as an ATM....make DIS pump cash into stuff that simply isn't in existence.

lazyboy97o

True but it's alot easier to have it all put in front of you and avoid all the trial and error of traditional reverse engineering. I don't think CCP will pull the rug but I do believe they can use the park as an ATM....make DIS pump cash into stuff that simply isn't in existence.
Disney doesn't make the ride equipment, but several of the companies that do have manufacturing facilities in China.

And what would be phantom projects that don't exist where money would just disappear? This is just more stretching.

lazyboy97o

5000 dollar toil seats.....essentially shanghai turns into Washington DC with spending...
The price of equipment isn't dictated by Shanghai Shendi Group because they aren't provided by them. The prices come from the various vendors, just like all of the other parks. Even with the agreements to utilize some Chinese vendors those decisions are still made by the designers, Walt Disney Imagineering.

matt9112

The price of equipment isn't dictated by Shanghai Shendi Group because they aren't provided by them. The prices come from the various vendors, just like all of the other parks.

if this was so true why are cost overuns massive at this point? blame it ALL on crappy labor?

lazyboy97o

if this was so true why are cost overuns massive at this point? blame it ALL on crappy labor?
There are cost overruns on almost every Disney project. Who is the foreign bogeyman that has caused Pandora: The World of Avatar to balloon into the billion dollar range? Or what about NextGen becoming a late, multibillion dollar endeavor that will never live up to its goals? Or Toy Story Land's rather bare roller coaster to be triple its costs anywhere else?

And yes, crappy labor and products would do that. Not to mention the time it takes just to document how Disney wants things done, construction techniques that just go without saying in the rest of the world.

Last edited:

photomatt

I think this is the right thread to post in, even though I am going to describe a recent experience I had at DL. At the end of my story, I'm going to ask a question that is specifically MK related, so I'm pretty sure this post belongs here.

On Thursday, April 14th I went to DL. I was there in March, before the budget cuts, so I do have a recent experience to compare it to. I can also compare this experience with numerous other visits to DL and MK, so I know something is wrong. The park closed at 9pm, right after the Disneyland Forever fireworks show. I was in TL and started taking pictures of Space Mountain and the old COP building. I noticed that the park was clearing out pretty quickly, but I didn't give it much thought. Around 9:15, yes, 9:15, I noticed a security guard standing nearby. I also noticed there were no other guests around me, so I knew it was time to move towards Main Street. I walked to the part of TL where it borders the hub and took some pictures there.

I then headed to the castle. This was actually my entire reason for coming this time. I brought my tripod this time and I wanted to get pictures of the castle with the spotlights behind it. There were some people in front of the castle taking pictures so I waited for them to finish. I then set up my tripod, took a few pictures, and then a security guard came up to me and said, "That needs to be your last picture. We need to clear this area out."

I was shocked. It was 9:30, and I have never seen the park clear out so quickly. I have also never had security tell me I needed to stop taking pictures and leave. It has never happened. I am usually way ahead of the security CM's as they sweep the park. In fact, I normally don't even get close to them. I asked the CM what policy had changed and why they were clearing out the park so quickly. He said nothing had changed and they always clear the area in front of the castle so quickly. I knew that was an absolute lie, because I have pictures I took in front of the castle after my last visit that were taken more than 30 minutes after park closing. I figured this was just an incredibly rare occurrence, and I moved towards Main Street.

I took a few pictures on Main Street and I waited in Town Square for it to clear out enough for me to take pictures in the middle of the street aiming towards the castle. I had just set up my tripod and yet another security CM tells me, again, I need to stop taking pictures because they need to clear out the park. It was 10:15, which was 1 hour and 15 minutes after park closing, and 15 minutes after the Main Street shops closed. This time I was not happy. I asked this CM what changed and he lied to me again. He said they always clear the park out like this and that it has been this way for the 20 years that he has worked at DL. Once again, I knew this was a bold-faced lie.

I walked out of the park and asked to speak to a security lead. He admitted that what happened was unusual, but he would not tell me the reason why. By his own admission, he would never even begin to talk to someone "lingering" until at least 30 minutes after Main Street closed. After I walked through the turnstiles to exit there were probably 20 or so people behind me. They locked the gate at 10:22.

This angers me because I have never seen this before, and I was not prepared. I normally have plenty of time to take whatever pictures I want and then move on before security comes anywhere near me. Not only was security moving much quicker than they ever have before, they were rude as well. I won't tolerate this, and if it happens again I will not return. Yes, I realize I am only one person, and they laugh at the idea of just losing the money from one Premier AP, but I'm not going to pay to be rushed out of the park. I do not arrive early to the parks. I usually arrive much later in the day, and stay until after closing. Those few minutes of tranquility I get when there are few people in the park are what makes the park "magical". If Disney takes that away, then there is nothing left for me.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else at the DLR or at WDW? Can any photographers, or anyone else, tell me if they have noticed anything else unusual in the past three weeks or so?

This really makes me sad. I can ignore the "princessification" of the parks. I can ignore the lousy food. I can ignore the crowds. I can ignore the dirty parks and rides (for the most part). I can't ignore having them take away the few moments of "magic" I get after most of the people leave. Without that, the food, the crowds, the dirty attractions, and the princesses everywhere become too much. Without the magic, Disney is worth nothing to me anymore. Greed is ruining my "Laughing Place", and it's hard to accept.

ETA: For comparison, at the MK, if the park closes at midnight I am usually waiting for the monorail at 1:20 or so. As I leave the park, about 1:15, security is nowhere near Town Square. They are still at the MS/Hub border.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I think this is the right thread to post in, even though I am going to describe a recent experience I had at DL. At the end of my story, I'm going to ask a question that is specifically MK related, so I'm pretty sure this post belongs here.

On Thursday, April 14th I went to DL. I was there in March, before the budget cuts, so I do have a recent experience to compare it to. I can also compare this experience with numerous other visits to DL and MK, so I know something is wrong. The park closed at 9pm, right after the Disneyland Forever fireworks show. I was in TL and started taking pictures of Space Mountain and the old COP building. I noticed that the park was clearing out pretty quickly, but I didn't give it much thought. Around 9:15, yes, 9:15, I noticed a security guard standing nearby. I also noticed there were no other guests around me, so I knew it was time to move towards Main Street. I walked to the part of TL where it borders the hub and took some pictures there.

I then headed to the castle. This was actually my entire reason for coming this time. I brought my tripod this time and I wanted to get pictures of the castle with the spotlights behind it. There were some people in front of the castle taking pictures so I waited for them to finish. I then set up my tripod, took a few pictures, and then a security guard came up to me and said, "That needs to be your last picture. We need to clear this area out."

I was shocked. It was 9:30, and I have never seen the park clear out so quickly. I have also never had security tell me I needed to stop taking pictures and leave. It has never happened. I am usually way ahead of the security CM's as they sweep the park. In fact, I normally don't even get close to them. I asked the CM what policy had changed and why they were clearing out the park so quickly. He said nothing had changed and they always clear the area in front of the castle so quickly. I knew that was an absolute lie, because I have pictures I took in front of the castle after my last visit that were taken more than 30 minutes after park closing. I figured this was just an incredibly rare occurrence, and I moved towards Main Street.

I took a few pictures on Main Street and I waited in Town Square for it to clear out enough for me to take pictures in the middle of the street aiming towards the castle. I had just set up my tripod and yet another security CM tells me, again, I need to stop taking pictures because they need to clear out the park. It was 10:15, which was 1 hour and 15 minutes after park closing, and 15 minutes after the Main Street shops closed. This time I was not happy. I asked this CM what changed and he lied to me again. He said they always clear the park out like this and that it has been this way for the 20 years that he has worked at DL. Once again, I knew this was a bold-faced lie.

I walked out of the park and asked to speak to a security lead. He admitted that what happened was unusual, but he would not tell me the reason why. By his own admission, he would never even begin to talk to someone "lingering" until at least 30 minutes after Main Street closed. After I walked through the turnstiles to exit there were probably 20 or so people behind me. They locked the gate at 10:22.

This angers me because I have never seen this before, and I was not prepared. I normally have plenty of time to take whatever pictures I want and then move on before security comes anywhere near me. Not only was security moving much quicker than they ever have before, they were rude as well. I won't tolerate this, and if it happens again I will not return. Yes, I realize I am only one person, and they laugh at the idea of just losing the money from one Premier AP, but I'm not going to pay to be rushed out of the park. I do not arrive early to the parks. I usually arrive much later in the day, and stay until after closing. Those few minutes of tranquility I get when there are few people in the park are what makes the park "magical". If Disney takes that away, then there is nothing left for me.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else at the DLR or at WDW? Can any photographers, or anyone else, tell me if they have noticed anything else unusual in the past three weeks or so?

This really makes me sad. I can ignore the "princessification" of the parks. I can ignore the lousy food. I can ignore the crowds. I can ignore the dirty parks and rides (for the most part). I can't ignore having them take away the few moments of "magic" I get after most of the people leave. Without that, the food, the crowds, the dirty attractions, and the princesses everywhere become too much. Without the magic, Disney is worth nothing to me anymore. Greed is ruining my "Laughing Place", and it's hard to accept.

ETA: For comparison, at the MK, if the park closes at midnight I am usually waiting for the monorail at 1:20 or so. As I leave the park, about 1:15, security is nowhere near Town Square. They are still at the MS/Hub border.
Where is it written that you can linger for an hour after the park closes. Closes means it's closed. Time to pack up and get out of Dodge! Those CM's that have been busting their butts all day would like to get home to their families and they still have stuff to do after everyone leaves. It also maybe why they have started to close earlier because people don't leave like they should after it closes. Wandering around setting up tripods 30 minutes after the park closes is just wrong and it may be the proliferation of that type of thing happening that has prompted them to put on a push to clear the park. I can't tell you how many times we see posts of things that people feel that they get away with, but eventually it catches up and everyone is deprived of something because of it. Also, not that this is right either, the new budget cuts may be forcing the issue. As long as people stay they have to keep paying the CM's to be there.

Last edited:

UncleMike101

Where is it written that you can linger for an hour after the park closes. Closes means it's closed. Time to pack up and get out of Dodge! Those CM's that have been busting their butts all day would like to get home to their families and they still have stuff to do after everyone leaves. It also maybe why they have started to close earlier because people don't leave like they should after it closes. Wondering around setting up tripods 30 minutes after the park closes is just wrong and it may be the proliferation of that type of thing happening that has prompted them to put on a push to clear the park. I can't tell you how many times we see posts of things that people feel that they get away with, but eventually it catches up and everyone is deprived of something because of it. Also, not that this is right either, the new budget cuts may be forcing the issue. As long as people stay they have to keep paying the CM's to be there.
There are a lot of people who feel that the rules don't apply to them.
We used to call them criminals, and miscreants .
Today they call themselves "victims" and demand their "rights".
Trouble is they don't know the difference between "rights" and "wants" and what they're really demanding are their "wants and gimmi's."

Last edited:

photomatt

Where is it written that you can linger for an hour after the park closes.
It's not written anywhere - including in my post. You clearly miss the point where I say that I have stayed after closing numerous times and no one has chased me out. In fact, I am normally not even close to being the last person out. The issue is that a new policy is in place.

Your choice to leave promptly at closing is your choice. Your opinion that others should do the same is simply your opinion. Thank you for your opinion. Disney thanks you as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom