Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Brad Bishop

I kinda like them too but they are no where near worth the $3 Billion+ overblown budget that got them here. All the fixes the parks could've had.....

I think, long term, the MBs are going to be good for them. They are convenient. It's better that a customer not pay with cash because then they're not keeping track, generally, of what they're spending so you make more.

But, yeah, the project seemed like a complete cluster-f from everything I've read and $3B+ (I thought it was closer to $4B but I don't really know) seems just ludicrous.

Brad Bishop

Except both Star Wars and Marvel were hardly a risk.
They were proven already to produce billions of money. Marvel in movies and Star Wars in toys and games.

The main thing there is that you properly size it and don't overpay for it, not that it hasn't been done (Rupert Murdoch and MySpace; AT&T buying cable companies a decade back and then selling them off at a huge loss).

Still, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel are pretty much known brands with knows assets and value. It's not quite the speculation as buying up a dot-com company or buying random companies that you have no business buying because you don't understand their business.

Tay

:rolleyes: Please stop. My eyes can't roll that far.
You'll still find a way to make excuses for Disney/Iger. Buying Marvel and Star Wars being huge risk is laughable. Why not use them trying to keep the Muppets relevant , when the general public does not care for them anymore? Or them still making live action films when the majority of them flop? I know you'll bring up Marvel, Star Wars (lol) and POTC but I'm not taking about them.

PizzaPlanet

You'll still find a way to make excuses for Disney/Iger. Buying Marvel and Star Wars being huge risk is laughable. Why not use them trying to keep the Muppets relevant , when the general public does not care for them anymore? Or them still making live action films when the majority of them flop? I know you'll bring up Marvel, Star Wars (lol) and POTC but I'm not taking about them.
No one cares about the Muppets? Then how did 9 million people watch the first episode of the show this past fall?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I have no clue what you are talking about, but I think you just named a few more risks Iger took. Thank you for making the point.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Ignore the films that are hugely successful. Only use the ones that aren't! That's how a majority works!

Seriously though. Which of Disney's 2015 releases were flops?

McFarland USA? Made 45m. Big success for that film.

Bridge of Spies? 164m on a 40m budget?

Cinderella? 542m on 95m budget?

Star Wars? Avengers? AntMan?

I'll grant you, Tomorrowland underperformed. 200m only. But that's 1 film out of 7 that underperformed.

seascape

I don't like seeing cuts but with the additions at AK along with the Star Wars fireworks I think the trade us worth it. I love what I've seen coming at these parks and hope Epcot gets the love it needs soon. But the new Sorin and Frozen ride and M&G are a start.

mimitchi33

tumblr_no9xzfd1mB1rvhqlvo3_500.gif
I see your Anger over this and give you my reaction to the budget cuts at the parks:
9jiypx.jpg

Mike S

I don't like seeing cuts but with the additions at AK along with the Star Wars fireworks I think the trade us worth it. I love what I've seen coming at these parks and hope Epcot gets the love it needs soon. But the new Sorin and Frozen ride and M&G are a start.
Why should there be a "trade?" Let me remind you how a much smaller company, Walt Disney Productions, was able to build Walt Disney World without making cuts to Disneyland. Or when they built EPCOT Center.

ParentsOf4

There's another risk taken under Iger.
Normally I agree with you but we have to part ways here. Iger hasn't taken a significant risk in his decade-plus as CEO, nor do his shareholders want him to.

Risk depends on proportional size of investment and probability of failure. Walt Disney Productions with total revenue of $175M in 1971 took a risk when it spent hundreds-of-millions to build the Magic Kingdom.

At least the Magic Kingdom was based on a proven concept. The company took an even bigger risk when it spent over $1B to build Epcot, which was unlike any amusement park before it. Failures of either would have ruined the company.

I was too young to know what Wall Street thought in 1971 but, in 1982, Disney was roundly criticized for Epcot. The conventional wisdom was that it was a mistake.

Iger became CEO in 2005.

In 2006, when Disney acquired the well-known brand Pixar for $7.4B, Disney revenue was $34.3B.

In 2009, when Disney acquired the well-known brand Pixar for $4.6B, Disney revenue was $36.1B.

In 2012, when Disney acquired the well-known brand LuscasFilms for $4.1B, Disney revenue was $42.3B.

Wall Street generally viewed all three acquisitions favorably.

Iger shouldn't be commended for these acquisitions because they were risky; he should be commended because, for Disney, they were low-cost with high probabilities of success.

Perhaps Iger's biggest risk to date is Shanghai Disneyland. Yet that could be a colossal failure and, for Disney, it would still represent less than one-third of last year's net income.

Iger may be many things but "risk taker" is not one of them.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Ignore the films that are hugely successful. Only use the ones that aren't! That's how a majority works!

Seriously though. Which of Disney's 2015 releases were flops?

McFarland USA? Made 45m. Big success for that film.

Bridge of Spies? 164m on a 40m budget?

Cinderella? 542m on 95m budget?

Star Wars? Avengers? AntMan?

I'll grant you, Tomorrowland underperformed. 200m only. But that's 1 film out of 7 that underperformed.

Is Star Wars that same as that thing that came out before Christmas where all the spaceships whiz around and the soccer ball robot does cute stuff? I heard they lost money on that cuz all the scenes were actually filmed in space to give the film more gravitas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom