Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

MissingDisney

I almost don't want to give away the secret here, but.... You can often rent 2 bedroom villas at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for as little as $120 per night (no additional tax, no resort fees, and the price obviously varies based on season) when you rent directly from an owner or through a broker. Just like how you can rent from DVC owners. Going directly through Wyndham is not the way to go.

We've done this many times. It's a great resort, surrounded by Disney property on 3 sides, and again, a 2 bedroom villa is usually less than the cost of a regular room at Disney value resort.
No, no, no! Stay away from WBC! Far, far, away from WBC! It's a terrible resort! :cautious: You get so much more, er, less for your money! It's a horrible place to stay. :cool:......says the person who after staying there once realized what a fool, WHAT A FOOL, I'd been wasting all that money elsewhere! :greedy:

ThemeParkJunkee

Whew!..Just finished catching up. It's tax season, I work crazy hours. Anyway...

My comments:

The cuts are real and I am so glad I forgot to mail my carefully worded business letter to Georgie K. and now I have so much more (and less) to say. I have refocused my thoughts.

I have cancelled my plans to visit WDW in 2016.

I am so glad to have reduced my position in DIS by half back when it was still $120 or so per share.

I appreciate respected members information on this issue as they go to the heart of my issues...value for my hafrd earned vacation dollar, the fact that parks and resorts domestically is a cash cow for poor business decisions etc.

I keep quotes about MM+ from Staggs appearances at certain events and can use them in my letter.

I think having to vote for Iger as a member of the board of directors is tantamount to treason...didn't DIS learn their lesson on that one?

I wish I could come up with a great question for the annual meeting but I have too many...but why is DIS acting like the company is in great distress in an era of record profits and why is the percentage of CapEx to Revenue so scimpy when you need to compete for the vacation dollar of your guests?

I am disheartened but not defeated. I am glad I don't own DVC because I almost did but invested instead.

I am glad I told my investment guy to get me out of Asia in every way possible and he did in one day.

I am so gratefull for this site. I am a theme park fan, semi retired accountant (except during tax season) and travel junkie. Because I both invest and partake of Disney theme parks, this is my best source of information. Thank you WDWMAGIC.

Special thanks to @WDW1974 , @ParentsOf4 , @PhotoDave219 , @marni1971 , and a few others for updates and information. I am a spreadsheet kind of girl and information is like gold to me.

Re-writing letter to George and others now.....and....I really do appreciate this site.

PhotoDave219

I wish I could come up with a great question for the annual meeting but I have too many...but why is DIS acting like the company is in great distress in an era of record profits and why is the percentage of CapEx to Revenue so scimpy when you need to compete for the vacation dollar of your guests?

Why? To keep the stock price up.

Why do we need to do that? Because they pay executives compensation with stock.

Its very self-motivated and all about Greed.....

raven

But Fastpass plus will help manage more guests without actually making it bigger.

Right?
That is their intention but it's disheartening to pay a huge entry price only to stand in the longest waits for attractions that normally don't have much wait at all.
so what would you rate to the POR outside the boundary? Wyndham? we really aren't talking about a lot of price difference... 50 bucks? to not have to drive anywhere?
I almost don't want to give away the secret here, but.... You can often rent 2 bedroom villas at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for as little as $120 per night (no additional tax, no resort fees, and the price obviously varies based on season) when you rent directly from an owner or through a broker. Just like how you can rent from DVC owners. Going directly through Wyndham is not the way to go.

We've done this many times. It's a great resort, surrounded by Disney property on 3 sides, and again, a 2 bedroom villa is usually less than the cost of a regular room at Disney value resort.
Don't just look at the immediate Disney area. There are a couple hundred resorts within a 2 mile range or Disney property that have free transportation as well. A lot are 2 and 3 room villas with fully supplied kitchens, large balconies, king size beds and jet tubs for under $120/night in non-peak seasons. Most Disney tourists don't know this nor does Disney want them to. So check those Starwood, Marriot and Hilton websites!
Hearing that the Citizens of Hollywood are next on the chopping block. Expecting layoffs of 10-13 people and the remaining cast having their hours cut.
I believe both Citizens of Hollywood and MK's Streetmousphere received cuts the other day.

patch553

and the biggest problem with Disneyland Paris for me is that for us coming from the UK I still don't feel like I want to visit. Florida feels better value and has better weather.

They just made too many mistakes with the planning of that resort.
We have the same issue with Paris!
We have visited wdw 9 times and Paris 2, and you really can't compare them. Every cast member in wdw will go out of there way to assist you where as in Paris you feel like you should apologise for interrupting there day! Paris for a 4 nights can cost close to a week in wdw and as for that Disney magic that you immediately feel when you step foot in wdw, it isn't there at all in paris

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was much different when we bought in. Things have changed, we were unable to go to the meetings, to change things. We had other obligations, and it was too far too fly in. Is that our fault? Yes, we should have thought ahead. Let the buyer beware. That's all I have to say on the subject.
Let's just say the annual meetings have changed a LOT in the beginning one could ask the DVC executives questions and discuss the plans often plans changed because of this. And the executives would remain after the meeting to socialize with the members

After 2011 the meeting format changed and the execs file out give an abbreviated report and leave no questions allowed and a cart of those dry so called cookies are rolled out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We have the same issue with Paris!
We have visited wdw 9 times and Paris 2, and you really can't compare them. Every cast member in wdw will go out of there way to assist you where as in Paris you feel like you should apologise for interrupting there day! Paris for a 4 nights can cost close to a week in wdw and as for that Disney magic that you immediately feel when you step foot in wdw, it isn't there at all in paris

In Paris if you are not a francophone well... is a point of honor to heap abuse and be as rude as possible to the non francophone daring to infest their beloved city of light. Has nothing to do with being a DLP CM

betty rose

Just a question, did your DVC unit fees really go way higher these years? and are more in the road?
Our fees have gone up every year. With less services. In the past our unit was cleaned every three days, including taking out trash and replacing towels. The last visit we took out our own trash, and only some of the towels were replaced, even though there are 6 of us renting a two bedroom. And now the unit is cleaned on a 6 day schedule.

Cesar R M

Why? To keep the stock price up.

Why do we need to do that? Because they pay executives compensation with stock.

Its very self-motivated and all about Greed.....
I actually wonder that Iger is also fueled by EGO.
If Shangai is too important (Avatar+Shangai = Iger's legacy) to fall and same about his stock (aka he's killing everything else for the sake of his "invulnerability to mistakes" on executive decisions.
I wonder what he will do just for the sake of keeping his chin up.
pull a full blown Enron?
Aka destroying(Movies and ESPN) other areas to float Shangai?

Cesar R M

Our fees have gone up every year. With less services. In the past our unit was cleaned every three days, including taking out trash and replacing towels. The last visit we took out our own trash, and only some of the towels were replaced, even though there are 6 of us renting a two bedroom. And now the unit is cleaned on a 6 day schedule.
holy crap.. once every 6 days?o_O

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I actually wonder that Iger is also fueled by EGO.
If Shangai is too important (Avatar+Shangai = Iger's legacy) to fall and same about his stock (aka he's killing everything else for the sake of his "invulnerability to mistakes" on executive decisions.
I wonder what he will do just for the sake of keeping his chin up.
pull a full blown Enron?
Aka destroying(Movies and ESPN) other areas to float Shangai?

The possibility of a ENRON type failure has bugged me for a long time. Remember ENRON posted RECORD profits which were in reality non-exist ant Until one quarter where they did not and everything went BOOM!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom