Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So $90 and enough brains to get past a screener? I guess not all of us can get over that hurdle...

Except most stocks are sold in round lots of 100 shares. So if you've got $9000 to invest, then go for it. Shareholders get an announcement of annual meetings, which usually serve as an invitation (along with a proxy, if applicable). Given the number of shares issued by TWDC, I doubt corporate would care or listen to the holder of a single share. And it could be that they don't even bother to send an invitation to anyone owning less than a specific number of shares; all that individual might get is a proxy. Which is not appropriate, in my opinion.

asianway

Except most stocks are sold in round lots of 100 shares. So if you've got $9000 to invest, then go for it. Shareholders get an announcement of annual meetings, which usually serve as an invitation (along with a proxy, if applicable). Given the number of shares issued by TWDC, I doubt corporate would care or listen to the holder of a single share. And it could be that they don't even bother to send an invitation to anyone owning less than a specific number of shares; all that individual might get is a proxy. Which is not appropriate, in my opinion.
My you are quite the expert on annual meeting procedure

lazyboy97o

Purchase of Disney stock is not limit to 100 share increments. With something like Robinhood the cost would be nothing more than the share price.

John

For those of you who think the SW expansion cant/wont be cut? How sure are you of that? At WDW a shovel hasnt hit the dirt yet.....plenty of time to cut. Same with everyother plans for expansion. If they can cut a insignificant curb greeter......EVERYTHING will be on the table.....especially multi million dollar budgets......dont fool yourself.

PhotoDave219

For those of you who think the SW expansion cant/wont be cut? How sure are you of that? At WDW a shovel hasnt hit the dirt yet.....plenty of time to cut. Same with everyother plans for expansion. If they can cut a insignificant curb greeter......EVERYTHING will be on the table.....especially multi million dollar budgets......dont fool yourself.

That we might be somewhat fine on. Completely separate budget from Park Ops or WDW itself. Its a Capex project.

Or at least thats the Kool-Aid I'm drinking.

PhotoDave219

Theyre interested in CALPERS and what other large institutional investors think.

They could give a toss what we think.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

We have Disney Stock and always receive an invitation and proxy. My children were given token shares under 100 each when they were born because their uncle a broker wanted them to have the different certificates available, some are works of art from back then. They receive invitations and proxy each year.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Purchase of Disney stock is not limit to 100 share increments. With something like Robinhood the cost would be nothing more than the share price.

That's true about Robinhood. So for the cost of one share and a plane ticket to Anaheim, we can all go. However, I still don't think Bob and co. are going to listen to me with my one share. But if we all buy one share each and then give our proxy to you, then who knows? ;)

hopemax

That's true about Robinhood. So for the cost of one share and a plane ticket to Anaheim, we can all go. However, I still don't think Bob and co. are going to listen to me with my one share. But if we all buy one share each and then give our proxy to you, then who knows? ;)

You are aware that the shareholder meeting is in a different non-Anaheim/non-Orlando every year? This year it's in Chicago. Also, you needed to have been a shareholder on record as of Jan 4, 2016. The shareholder may also bring one guest, and you have to request tickets in advance.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You are aware that the shareholder meeting is in a different non-Anaheim/non-Orlando every year? This year it's in Chicago. Also, you needed to have been a shareholder on record as of Jan 4, 2016. The shareholder may also bring one guest, and you have to request tickets in advance.

So @asianway's idea will have to wait until next year.....

psherman42

Ugh, this is really disheartening after thinking Iger and the rest were finally going to start putting money back into the Florida parks (specifically DHS) after years of neglect. I'm really hoping all of this is temporary. And that Disney doesn't plan anymore international parks after Shanghai.

No Name

That we might be somewhat fine on. Completely separate budget from Park Ops or WDW itself. Its a Capex project.

Or at least thats the Kool-Aid I'm drinking.

What's to stop Chappie from taking money from future projects? Those and park ops are both expenses, and he has authority and responsibility over both. It seems kind of easier to cut $100 or 200 million (or the whole budget) from something that isn't built yet than to scratch away little by little at the existing stuff, and as a result, create operational issues.

You could totally be right but I just don't understand why capex is safe.

WDW1974

I wish folks would stop categorizing strategic business decisions as "behaving badly". But, I realize that in the age of big business bashing, it is the internet thing to do. :rolleyes:

Really? You have nothing better to do with your life then defend a company that consistently diminishes the greatness accomplished by its founders and countless artists, engineers and thinkers who followed to make the bottom line look a bit better now (which actually means cover up for their leader's incredibly bad business choices in Asia)? Strategic? Now, I may be a schmuck, but really any business decision can be labeled "strategic". I am glad you wish to be screwed so Bob Iger can polish his Legacy. I'd rather it get the rightful tarnishing it so richly deserves.

I am so grossed out by what I am hearing that I lack the desire to even share it here and watch it explode across the Twitverse.

The next 29 months are all about one thing according to people at TWDC in positions to know -- building Bob's Legacy. That is what everything from The Force Awakens to the exec shuffle to Shanghai to the properties being painted on the Burbank Commissary walls is all about. What a disgusting little ...

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is what will happen just like it does at my job. Money is tight and jobs are cut. Slowly jobs are added back till everyone is a little over staffed. Then money becomes tight and jobs are cut. So it goes over and over. I remember reading on this site a few years ago the Fantasmic! was closing do to budget cuts and that never happened; Avatar was not going to be built; etc; etc. Let just wait and see what really happens

PhotoDave219

What's to stop Chappie from taking money from future projects? Those and park ops are both expenses, and he has authority and responsibility over both. It seems kind of easier to cut $100 or 200 million (or the whole budget) from something that isn't built yet than to scratch away little by little at the existing stuff, and as a result, create operational issues.

You could totally be right but I just don't understand why capex is safe.

Thats how it was explained to me.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You say that as though owning Disney stock is something highly unusual. There also doesn't seem to be any minimum holding requirement to ask a question during the open questions.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that for those who don't currently own stock in Disney, plans to purchase and attend this year's meeting will have to wait until next year. And yes, I realize that any shareholder can ask a question during open question time. I'm just saying that someone who owns just a few shares of Disney stock is not going to be given the same weight as someone who owns much more... Not saying I agree with that, because I think any shareholder, no matter if they own one share, 100 shares, 5% or a controlling interest, is important. But when you have 1.6B shares outstanding, the guy with 100 or even 1000 shares just won't have the same voice as far as corporate is concerned.

PhotoDave219

Here is what will happen just like it does at my job. Money is tight and jobs are cut. Slowly jobs are added back till everyone is a little over staffed. Then money becomes tight and jobs are cut. So it goes over and over. I remember reading on this site a few years ago the Fantasmic! was closing do to budget cuts and that never happened; Avatar was not going to be built; etc; etc. Let just wait and see what really happens

But if you listen to their last quarterly conference call, money is not tight at all. Profits haven't been higher.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom