Crowds at DHS

tpoly88

And those actors are what makes the attractions so rerideable. You do Mickey's Runaway train once and it will be the same tomorrow and 3 years from now, but The Great Movie Ride was always going to be a little different based on who the driver was.
agree and they took out the rides that would suck up large amounts of people. the backlot tour, great movie ride, the shows (are any back yet?) and LMA. they would together take up hundreds of people at a clip and plus there was room to walk. Star wars area is so crowded and toy story land too you can barely walk. problem is when you go cheap on certain rides they are short and cannot take multiple ride vehicles at once (they bascially built a bunch of astro orbiters). Slinky is like this and why it takes forever. 7DMT is another but that another conversation. They just packed in too much in too little space.

Disstevefan1

I’m just trying to figure out how “rope drop, rope drop, rope drop” is a good suggestion to strangers from all over the place?

So if I show up 5-10 minutes before opening outside MGM…then that takes care of it, huh?
I got nothing else so I reverted to the ancient technique of rope drop, but I will defer to your intelligent solutions.

MickeyLuv'r

I warned about HS multiple times in multiple threads. It just isn't a good experience right now.

Getting a SDD G+ is a LOTTERY. If you lose the lottery, you are stuck in HS until 2pm. Or your other terrible other option is to just walk away from all you spent buying tickets and G+.

This is the true downside of the park reservations. For now, HS is the least appealing park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I warned about HS multiple times in multiple threads. It just isn't a good experience right now.

Getting a SDD G+ is a LOTTERY. If you lose the lottery, you are stuck in HS until 2pm. Or your other terrible other option is to just walk away from all you spent buying tickets and G+.

This is the true downside of the park reservations. For now, HS is the least appealing park.
YOU are the magic.

But to be honest…if someone told me I had to skip 1 of the 4…it would be that one every time anyway. It was always and still is the “junior” park.

DisneyfanMA

agree and they took out the rides that would suck up large amounts of people. the backlot tour, great movie ride, the shows (are any back yet?) and LMA. they would together take up hundreds of people at a clip and plus there was room to walk. Star wars area is so crowded and toy story land too you can barely walk. problem is when you go cheap on certain rides they are short and cannot take multiple ride vehicles at once (they bascially built a bunch of astro orbiters). Slinky is like this and why it takes forever. 7DMT is another but that another conversation. They just packed in too much in too little space.

And they spend ever increasing amounts developing or renovating new lands...which is awesome and truly exciting.... Only to unveil a space with 2, 3 if you're lucky rides.....im thinking of star wars land, toy story land and avatar land...... Maybe I'm just spoiled and greedy. But I'd think a land should have 4 to 5 rides. Even a couple small footprint high volume kiddie rides help.

DisneyfanMA

And they spend ever increasing amounts developing or renovating new lands...which is awesome and truly exciting.... Only to unveil a space with 2, 3 if you're lucky rides.....im thinking of star wars land, toy story land and avatar land...... Maybe I'm just spoiled and greedy. But I'd think a land should have 4 to 5 rides. Even a couple small footprint high volume kiddie rides help.

When Fantasmic returns that helps for nighttime entertainment. Grab a nice sit down meal. Watch the Indiana Jones show and ride as much as you can and get your SDD in at some point. Is the park that bad for other options? I'm going all day and am not into the park hopper concept at all for a full week trip...hoping there is plenty to do and just take our time and not overly stress about doing it all. But that said I also want no part of 90 minute plus waits with little kids.

ICanFly

Original Poster
Disney should've used some empty area and built a park specifically for Star Wars. HS has become insane. it isn't worth the price of admission to stand in line for hours and/or have to pay for Genie on top of park admission. INSANITY!
Agreed. I’m planning to catch a couple of rides then pool in the afternoon and evening at Epcot. Won’t get to ride nearly everything we want to which stinks. Is ToT still running half capacity?

FullSailDan

All this talk of capacity issues in HS misses a bigger picture problem: the impact of park hopping from HS. Its capacity limitations are a feature, not a flaw. A decade ago, none of the attractions at HS besides RnR and TT were "must dos" and so the half day park moniker was very truthful. With the current capacity, and the attractions all being relatively "good", it's keeping people in the park longer and eliminating some pressure of park-hopping on MK. I realize the math would also support additional rides/attractions to spread folks out, but from an investment standpoint, the re-allocation of space for more enticing attractions made more short term sense than new build plus the refurbs required to keep old ones looking okay. Of course theres always the other option... just dont bother with maintenance either...that seemed to work for a while too.

Professor_Jason

To be honest I was at DHS 6 weeks ago rope drop to close (8am-9pm) and the capacity is ridiculous, even with Genie+ I only got on six rides all day. If I wasn't a big Disney fan and a regular day guest I wouldn't go back to DHS ever. It doesn't matter how good the few rides they have are I only got to ride six rides all day. At a $151 for a ticket if I was a regular guest I'd have been so mad at the price and capacity it would have been a one and done for me

DisneyfanMA

To be honest I was at DHS 6 weeks ago rope drop to close (8am-9pm) and the capacity is ridiculous, even with Genie+ I only got on six rides all day. If I wasn't a big Disney fan and a regular day guest I wouldn't go back to DHS ever. It doesn't matter how good the few rides they have are I only got to ride six rides all day. At a $151 for a ticket if I was a regular guest I'd have been so mad at the price and capacity it would have been a one and done for me

I just bought genie plus and my tickets and reservations (due to the June 8 end of pre date genie plus avail)....playing with the app this afternoon, I see little to nothing worthwhile avaiI. At HS and AK. MK and to a lesser degree EP has some stuff still bookable.....I know the 7am and morning is when most gets gobbled up....but The bottom line is they need some more high capacity anything to draw crowds in. Simply not enough rides mathematically.

I'm still going so I guess I'm part of the problem by giving them my money despite the known issues.......if I get 6 rides a few shows and a nice sit down meal in with 3 kids that's probably a successful day. SDD better be one of them.

ICanFly

Original Poster
I just bought genie plus and my tickets and reservations (due to the June 8 end of pre date genie plus avail)....playing with the app this afternoon, I see little to nothing worthwhile avaiI. At HS and AK. MK and to a lesser degree EP has some stuff still bookable.....I know the 7am and morning is when most gets gobbled up....but The bottom line is they need some more high capacity anything to draw crowds in. Simply not enough rides mathematically.

I'm still going so I guess I'm part of the problem by giving them my money despite the known issues.......if I get 6 rides a few shows and a nice sit down meal in with 3 kids that's probably a successful day. SDD better be one of them.
Making the most of our APs. Then we won’t be giving our money until changes are made.

UpAllNight

The park kind of needs many smaller additions to take the pressure off but I’m imagining funding small additions without a ROI at Disney will be next to impossible. So they’ll maybe build bigger rides based on popular IP which won’t help the problem overall.

I don’t understand why, at say Toy Story Land a few relatively cheap flat rides weren’t added to the plans. These are pocket money for a company like Disney. I saw Aliens with a 70 minute queue today. I know a side is down but that’s pure madness. There’s a carousel at DCA, why not copy it over?

DisneyfanMA

How about a massive toy story playground! Massive!

Probably liability problems....

A toy story play area seems a no brainer....

Quick funny story the original MGM studios (I think) - or maybe it was epcot had a honey I shrunk the kids play area (~ 1990). After 20 minutes or so my 5 year old brother went missing. My panicked parents and I looked all over and then looked up. Somehow he got on the scaffolding supporting a large blade of grass and was on top of the structure to a point he shouldn't have been. CM were able to coax him down safely. I might be embellishing it in my head but it's a core memory of our lone visit as kids.

J4546

Def liability issues with a playground. Some kid gets hurt and parent sues....I could see that happening all the time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom