Creepy original WDW commercial

CoffeeJedi

Tom Sawyer Island opened in October 1973

20K opened 14 days after the MK opened due to some problem with water in the lagoon

Mission to Mars did not even exsist on opening day, it was Flight to the Moon and that opened on December 24, 1971.
Mission to Mars opened on June 7, 1975

Even the Admiral Joe Fowler didnt run on the Rivers of America on opening day, it opened on October 2, 1971.
Well, let's count anything that opened in the first few weeks as a "premier" attraction then, i don't think that the riverboat running the second day instead of the first is that big of a deal. But still, WOW, i didn't realize how little there really was back then. I wasn't sure about the Moon/Mars timing, i knew that it was changed to Mars, but i figured that was only at Disneyland, the moon landing was 2 years in the past when WDW opened (I guess it was still very prominent in the news and popular culture though). Odd too about Tom Sawyer Island, so they had an island with nothing on it?

As for the commercial, i was disappointed, you all talked it up like it was going to be some scary acid-trip of a nightmare; I didn't think it really was that big of a deal.

Teenchy

Tom Sawyer Island, 20K, If you had Wings, WEDway, and Mission to Mars were not opening day attractions.

Tom Sawyer Island opened in October 1973

20K opened 14 days after the MK opened due to some problem with water in the lagoon

If you had Wings opened on June 5, 1972

WEDway opened sometime in July 1975

Mission to Mars did not even exsist on opening day, it was Flight to the Moon and that opened on December 24, 1971.

Mission to Mars opened on June 7, 1975

Even the Admiral Joe Fowler didnt run on the Rivers of America on opening day, it opened on October 2, 1971.

Hope that helps some.

WOW...can you imagine that first week or so....although it was still incredible at the time, if you think about the limited amount of real rides. My first visit was in 1975 and most of CoffeeJedi's list were up and running. But now when you look at that list, I can see why the lines seemed sooooooooooooooo long. To think my parents took us for 5 days in 1975, we stayed at Poly and all we had was the MK. And even then it didnt seem like enough time.

PixyDust

I have photos of myself with some of the characters in that first video from the early 70's. We have so many "movie films" my parents took of my first trip there. They don't have sound, but watching these old videos makes me want to take them somewhere and have them transferred on to some type of current media. I think my favorite movie we have from my first trip is of the parade. Back then the 3 little pigs, the big bad wolf, basically the characters in that first video, were a big part of the parade.

On Eastern, I think the last time I flew them was either 1989 or 90. They were bought by USAir. I remember having to cross their picket line to get to my flight back then. It was very tense, so I don't have good memories of that airline.

wedway71

For those old enough to remember they were the sponsor of the ride "If You Had Wings"...It was my Mom's favorite on our first visit in '75. I recently got a DVD about the ride from extinct attractions...brings back alot of memories.

Unfortunately I cant see these links from work...I will have to check'um out when I get home...everyones reactions have me intrigued. We were all a little off in the 70's but this sounds good!:lookaroun

Yes,Indeed. I used to love If You Had Wings.YES IM AN OLD FART. I was very sad to see Eastern go under. My uncle was a pilot for them and when we flew from Miami/Ft laudedale to JFK New York(10 times a year) to see family we always got bumped up to first class.

VoiceGuy07

Totally agree, first video/commerical - very creepy.

Second video, nothing more effective in getting folks into a theme park: no guests, no cast members, no characters, just eight very happy lunatics - "No More".

blackerbys17

Now that i think of it i feel the Eastern Airlines commercial was telling the truth about what lies in the Magic Kingdom...

Here is the mickey mouse review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4dU_PlFy1g

Now that is scary
This is what was originally was at Phillharmagic

Oh wow! I actually loved it, how cute! I don't remember ever seeing that but then again, I think the first time I went to the MK was in 1980 when I was 4, not sure if this was still around and if it was and I saw it, I guess I was too little to remember. I wonder what did with all the animatronics from the show???

wedway71

Now that i think of it i feel the Eastern Airlines commercial was telling the truth about what lies in the Magic Kingdom...

Here is the mickey mouse review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4dU_PlFy1g

Now that is scary
This is what was originally was at Phillharmagic

WOW-I havent seen that in about 26 years.WOW-I used to love that show.Ok now im almost positive-(maybe they changed show couple times) that were 2 scenes missing from the video.

1-Donald Duck and the 3 Cabilaros shooting at each other and singing on opposite ends of the theater and
2- The curtain drops and you see a siloutte of Sleeping Beauty and Prince Charming dancing behind the curtain.

bladerunner

The second one is just a portion of an hour long grand opening special that includes Bob Hope, Julie Andrews, Glen Campbell and Buddy Hackett ... you can find it on the disney torrents site

dopey

Ok now that I've seen them, is it that because I'm old enough to remember the 70's. And watched things like Sonny & Cher show, Donnie & Marie, H.R. Puff'n'Stuff, etc. that I didnt find these creepy.

Wierd, funny, goofy clothes and songs, etc. But it was like so many things done in the 70's. Just watch VH1 specials about the 70's and it seemed all the comercials and shows were just like this. So as out of the ordinary as these seem now...they were pretty normal for the 70's :lookaroun

Nope, nothing unusual about Jimmy and his magic golden flute. What young man doesn't keep a talking musical instrument in his pants pocket?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYN3____9vjcU

CoffeeJedi

The second one is just a portion of an hour long grand opening special that includes Bob Hope, Julie Andrews, Glen Campbell and Buddy Hackett ... you can find it on the disney torrents site
Is that also the one with that absolutely wretch-inducing song by Michael "brillo pad head" Landon? "What if nobody came?" :hurl:

duckburg85

Original Poster
Is that also the one with that absolutely wretch-inducing song by Michael "brillo pad head" Landon? "What if nobody came?" :hurl:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Yup, it's about how Walt Disney was nervous and drank at the Golden horseshoe the night before it opened. You could tell he was beyond nervous when he was giving the dedication. I feel Landon's song captured that sick feel that Disney felt the night before it opened.

Captain Hank

Yup, it's about how Walt Disney was nervous and drank at the Golden horseshoe the night before it opened. You could tell he was beyond nervous when he was giving the dedication. I feel Landon's song captured that sick feel that Disney felt the night before it opened.
In that clip, the kids randomly materializing on Main Street, singing "it's a small world" scared the living daylights out of me. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom