Creepy original WDW commercial

figment1985

LOL that first video does NOT make me think of the "happiest" place on earth!!!!!! More like the freakiest!!!!

And for the second video......it's like the Brady Bunch at Disney!

Adreamisawish

I LOVED it! Thank you so much for posting the links!

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the 3 year old Magic Kingdom in Oct. 1974. We had the perfect view of the lagoon and Magic Kingdom from our Tower Room at the Contemporary. It cost us the unheard of sum of $60 per night! We stayed two nights and then spent 3 nights at the Polynesian. We had a lagoon view there as well. We were on the ground floor with our own patio and we got to see the new Electric Light Parade every night. I'm not sure, but I think our king-size bed with sofa bed room cost $54 a night. It was cheaper than the Contemporary I do know that. LOL

Yes, that was the Crystal Palace in the second video and we had a VERY romantic relaxing lunch there. It was so elegant back then, and not a screaming kid in sight clamoring for a photo op with one of the characters.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! The good old days!

Thanks for the memories.

I can't wait to take my brand new granddaughter to WDW and have her screaming and clamoring for a photo op with the characters at the Crystal Palace when she is old enough to remember it.

It's all about the next generation of memories.......I've had mine.

BTW....we flew Eastern Airlines on our honeymoon.

duckburg85

Original Poster
"You mustn't stop now, there's magic ahead. Don't cash your chips in, keep winning instead. Life is a kumquat...somebody said."

That is my favorite part of the second video, She says that and then the guy's responses is "WHAT!" and his facial expression is amazing.

If people want more here is this:
This is an excerpt form the original 1982 promotional video for Epcot Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idIlP_HvKS4

This was epcot before Norway, the living seas, Horizons! Look for the really boring interactive audience show about nuclear power!

SCRacerX70

Disney's advertising has come a long way, that's for sure....

Nice slices of time you have there. I sat back in amazement at the lack of foliage, though... it really gave the MK a different look (kind of empty, barren). No "Mountain" range, or Pirates. I imagine you could see the WDW Railroad train makes its trip around the Kingdom from INSIDE the park for the first couple of years. Tomorrowland looked very bleak indeed. MK has come a long way from those days! :)

timoteo

What is really disturbing is the video of the dancers. They are singing, There's more, There's more when their is clearly less, clearly less. It shows that Disney was probably concerned about rumors that there wasn't much at WDW at opening day. It was phase 1 with alot of unfinished business. They were trying to re-assure the public in a not very subtle way.. "Come here there is more here than the images of unfinished buildings, bare plazas, plywood walls, and young little trees, it will be worth your money, we promise". And they come out and say just that in the lyrics. Wow I wonder if Madison avenue came up with that or maybe it was a firm on Coney Island Avenue. I think from time to time Disney still does suffer a bit of this carnival barker type "bring em in" type stuff. Today they are much more subtle, but they are always guilding the lily somewhat when they advertise for new attractions etc. As a Disney "expert" I always have that in my mind and I fall for it every time.

dopey

That is my favorite part of the second video, She says that and then the guy's responses is "WHAT!" and his facial expression is amazing.

Great acting, to be sure.

My second favorite part is where the girls are leaning over the railing in the treehouse. Nice Disney image there. :lol:

dopey

Lyrics question

Near the beginning of the musical extravaganza, the gang is by the castle singing:

"You think you've seen everything you can see. All the surprises from A down to Z. Hold back your boredom and..."

Then the chick with the grating voice sings something that I can't quite make out. "Hide the" something. I know it's not "kumquat." What the heck should we be hiding?

justducky78

Those are both too funny. The second one reminds me of Lawrence Welk-type dancers and singers. Anyone old enough will know what I'm talking about. I used to watch that with my parents when I was little! :lol: :lookaroun

It is neat to see WDW back then...I can't believe the castle. I'm so used to it now with the pink/blue pastel colors and gold leaf.

CoffeeJedi

i'm trying to come up with a quick list of everything available on opening day
WDW Railroad
Main St. vehicles
Penny Arcade
Main St. Cinema
Tiki Birds
Jungle Cruise
Swiss Family Treehouse
Country Bear Jamboree
Shootin' Gallery
Saloon Show (what was it called back then?)
Riverboat
Tom Sawyer Island
Mike Fink Keelboats
Haunted Mansion
Hall of Presidents
Its a Small World
Skyway
Mr. Toad
Snow White
Cinderella's Golden Carrousel
Mickey Mouse Revue(? not sure about this one)
20k Leagues
Speedway
Mission to Mars
If you had Wings
Circlevision 360
WEDway Peoplemover

Am I missing anything? That's not alot, and that's being generous, listing the Penny Arcade, Cinema, and Shootin' Gallery as attractions. Not alot of E tickets back then either. Maybe "more" refered to things like Discovery Island.

dopey

It's "Hide the ennui"

Like any kid is going to know what that word is.

Thanks. I had to look up the definition. Maybe they're counting on the kids tuning out after the opening dance moves.

Hide your disinterest? What's the message here? We know you're bored, but try not to show it? If you don't think Disney is the happiest place, could you at least fake it?

That's what we're doing! :lol:

Teenchy

Ok now that I've seen them, is it that because I'm old enough to remember the 70's. And watched things like Sonny & Cher show, Donnie & Marie, H.R. Puff'n'Stuff, etc. that I didnt find these creepy.

Wierd, funny, goofy clothes and songs, etc. But it was like so many things done in the 70's. Just watch VH1 specials about the 70's and it seemed all the comercials and shows were just like this. So as out of the ordinary as these seem now...they were pretty normal for the 70's :lookaroun

Horizons1

i'm trying to come up with a quick list of everything available on opening day
WDW Railroad
Main St. vehicles
Penny Arcade
Main St. Cinema
Tiki Birds
Jungle Cruise
Swiss Family Treehouse
Country Bear Jamboree
Shootin' Gallery
Saloon Show (what was it called back then?)
Riverboat
Tom Sawyer Island
Mike Fink Keelboats
Haunted Mansion
Hall of Presidents
Its a Small World
Skyway
Mr. Toad
Snow White
Cinderella's Golden Carrousel
Mickey Mouse Revue(? not sure about this one)
20k Leagues
Speedway
Mission to Mars
If you had Wings
Circlevision 360
WEDway Peoplemover

Am I missing anything? That's not alot, and that's being generous, listing the Penny Arcade, Cinema, and Shootin' Gallery as attractions. Not alot of E tickets back then either. Maybe "more" refered to things like Discovery Island.

Tom Sawyer Island, 20K, If you had Wings, WEDway, and Mission to Mars were not opening day attractions.

Tom Sawyer Island opened in October 1973

20K opened 14 days after the MK opened due to some problem with water in the lagoon

If you had Wings opened on June 5, 1972

WEDway opened sometime in July 1975

Mission to Mars did not even exsist on opening day, it was Flight to the Moon and that opened on December 24, 1971.

Mission to Mars opened on June 7, 1975

Even the Admiral Joe Fowler didnt run on the Rivers of America on opening day, it opened on October 2, 1971.

Hope that helps some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom