Creepiest unused prop/effect hidden in a ride?

Kara24601

Original Poster
I've been watching a lot of youtube videos about theme parks and am fascinated when animatronics/props are just left in the dark instead of being removed from the ride. Like I recently learned about the dementors that are chilling in the forbidden forest ride. And while it is a backup prop and sometimes used, I am so creeped out by the carnosaurus head that is hidden on the other side of the track in Dinosaur. Does anyone else have examples of stuff like this?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Melvin, Buff, and Max in Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland.

The history behind 20,000 leagues with the props being abandoned for several years before being removed.

Abandoned Buzzy, Cranium Command (my profile pic).

Animatronic lady hidden behind a black painted-over spaceship in Spaceship Earth.

Walt Disney1955

First thing I thought of as well would be the Country Bear Jamboree props still in the Winnie the Pooh ride at Disneyland. Even when you know its there you still have to turn around to see it and when you see it I will admit it is a little creepy because it stands out like a sore thumb in the Winnie the Pooh ride. But you have to look behind you once you enter a certain room (can't remember which one) and almost do a 180 just to see them. You can't see them unless you are looking for them as no one turns around behind them while looking into a room.

I don't know if it is "creepy" but Mr. Toad hiding at the top of the pet cemetary outside of Haunted Mansion comes to mind. Because even if you know it is there it is WAY up at the top and you can't climb up there either. I took a picture of it once and it didn't come out as clear as I would have hoped, but I had at least knew what it was.

zipadee999

This isn’t an abandoned effect in the conventional sense, but the pop-up ghosts are technically still in the attic at the DL mansion. They simply took the head-molds off of them and hid the mechanisms beneath flooring and props. For HMH, they use the same mechanisms for the jack in the box toys.

Pepper's Ghost

A giant Yeti that doesn’t move and has never seen an episode of “Dance Fever”…
You beat me to it! 🤣
Dancing yeti.gif

VicariousCorpse

A massive Medusa figure was turned off along with most of the special effects on Journey to Atlantis at Sea World years ago. She used to lurch out of a hole in the wall with her eyes glowing and her hair wriggling. Then she sat in the darkness looming right over you for years. Recently they have turned her eyes back on but she still is in complete darkness. She is visible starting at 2:55 directly ahead above the track.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

A massive Medusa figure was turned off along with most of the special effects on Journey to Atlantis at Sea World years ago. She used to lurch out of a hole in the wall with her eyes glowing and her hair wriggling. Then she sat in the darkness looming right over you for years. Recently they have turned her eyes back on but she still is in complete darkness.

That ride looks like it’s seen better days

Goofyernmost

The Adventures Club, if memory serves me, once had the 'wooden leg with the name Smith' on display. (Mary Poppins fans will get the reference) I think they moved it to another location after the shut down the "Club" but I can't remember where. Or perhaps I am thinking of some other place, it was a while ago. I know I saw it somewhere though.

Last edited:

VicariousCorpse

The Adventures Club, if memory serves me, once had the 'wooden leg with the name Sam' on display. (Mary Poppins fans will get the reference) I think they moved it to another location after the shut down the "Club" but I can't remember where. Or perhaps I am thinking of some other place, it was a while ago. I know I saw it somewhere though.
Don't know about this reference, but a lot of the Adventurer's Club props got sent to Hong Kong for Mystic Manor and Explorer's Club Restaurant.

Edit: After looking into it further, Smith was moved to the Frontierland train station at WDW.

train_station_lost_and_found_bennett1 (1).jpg

MK_wooden_leg_named_Smith_050224_bennett.jpg

Last edited:

Kara24601

Original Poster
A massive Medusa figure was turned off along with most of the special effects on Journey to Atlantis at Sea World years ago. She used to lurch out of a hole in the wall with her eyes glowing and her hair wriggling. Then she sat in the darkness looming right over you for years. Recently they have turned her eyes back on but she still is in complete darkness. She is visible starting at 2:55 directly ahead above the track.

This one freaked me out! I’m sitting in the sun and could not for the life of me see the Medusa figure but I found another video with the effect turned on and knowing that thing was just chillin in the darkness gave me the spooks!

Goofyernmost

Don't know about this reference, but a lot of the Adventurer's Club props got sent to Hong Kong for Mystic Manor and Explorer's Club Restaurant.

Edit: After looking into it further, Smith was moved to the Frontierland train station at WDW.

View attachment 705192
View attachment 705193
Thanks, I knew it was Smith but the only thing that came to mind at the time I was typing it was Sam. I fixed it, sorry. The reference was from when Mr. Banks, after being fired by Mr. Dawes Sr. all of a sudden started to laugh and when Mr. Dawes asked him why he said that he had just heard a joke (from his son Michael) and it was "I knew a man with a wooded leg named Smith", to which the reply was "what was the name of his other leg". Mr. Dawes Sr. thought about it for a second and started to laugh so hard that he collapsed on the floor. It implied that he died laughing. Seems morbid but you had to see it to understand the setting. Anyway that is what it was all about. There was no actual wooden leg prop in the Mary Poppin's movie, but it was there in the Adventures Club and as you said was in the Frontier Land Railroad Station. I have no idea if it is still there or not. Mr. Dawes Sr. was played by Dick Van D yke in the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom