Creations Shop opening this summer

Movielover

for real, zack is giving insider information direct from the work site and people just complain about everything haha
It's just that his post come across so forced and fake that it almost seems pandering. If he had posted the same picture and just said something like "We went through many different color options before settling on one we liked. Hope you guys like it too!" or something else human sounding rather than corporate speak so self indulgent that it makes CSPAN seem entertaining. It's the pure definition of cringe. I love insider looks into the designing and building of the parks but I also like my eyeballs and don't wish to gouge them out every time he posts a Instagram of his "genius".

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Creations Shop exterior paintwork continues showing more of how the finished product will look​

Creations-Shop_Full_42301.jpg

Supernova

IMDREW

Prototype82

Id personally wouldve liked it a bit whiter, but this is already so much better than what it was.
This could possibly be a primer as suggested earlier before the final white and gray is added.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 2.43.02 PM.png

I would kinda like to see some color but no biggie
It's been such a wacky motley mix throughout the years that I think they decided old-school on the outside is the most timeless way to go. I expect plenty pops of color within!

Last edited:

MrPromey

Seems to be staying. They keep retheming it. With a new sign claiming it's representative of the latest child-friendly movie.

Wonder if that means Studios is paying for the upkeep on this section as a promotion/advert. Isn't that usually the case with the new movie meet-and-greets that go away once the movie is out of theaters?

cookiee_munster

for real, zack is giving insider information direct from the work site and people just complain about everything haha
It's getting a bit tiresome TBF. Seeing all the negative comments about him and his posts etc. he's a designer, he's passionate. I like design, I could quite happily talk about wallpaper and paint swatches until the cows came home. People have a choice to follow his Instagram account. If people don't like what he posts then just don't click on them.
I think we have to count ourselves lucky that we get such and insider look into the creative process of things happening at the parks. They could easily just keep those walls up until opening and let speculation from everyone online run rampant.

Inspired Figment

It's getting a bit tiresome TBF. Seeing all the negative comments about him and his posts etc. he's a designer, he's passionate. I like design, I could quite happily talk about wallpaper and paint swatches until the cows came home. People have a choice to follow his Instagram account. If people don't like what he posts then just don't click on them.
I think we have to count ourselves lucky that we get such and insider look into the creative process of things happening at the parks. They could easily just keep those walls up until opening and let speculation from everyone online run rampant.
I personally think it’s less about Zach himself as a person and moreso to do with the limitations corporate puts on him, particularly in this scenario. And as a result, how phony/fake and sometimes downright nonsensical his posts sound a lot of the time. (It was already exposed earlier in the Three Caballeros post that his posts are heavily restricted/edited to read the way they do)
And while true, the overall concept of posting the thought process behind a lot of these decisions is a good one.. sadly its execution is flawed and moreso exposes corporate’s lack of genuine respect & understanding towards what EPCOT was and as a result, the true creativity & talent within WDI … and I think that’s what people are particuarly upset about. Not Zach himself or the fact he’s posting the thought process behind these additions/changes.

Granted, I’m shocked that at this point, Zach hasn’t jumped ship yet with all the stuff going on there under Chapek… ‘but’ perhaps, much like Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde, other Imagineers believed before they eventually jumped ship, he believes that if he’s patient and puts up with all the crap now. He’ll still be there to reign in the much needed change within leadership once that change comes.
Personally, I believe Chapek & his business plan aren’t gonna last too much longer if things keep up the way they do. Already, I believe a much larger amount of guests are increasingly becoming more & more disenchanted with the way Chapek’s running things, so it’s only a matter of time before he finally gets the boot.
I just hope this time around, they get a leader in that actually respects the creativity & standards that made WDI what it once was and wants it to continue with the proper innovations & support needed to be up to today’s standards.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Truth is though, when you’re ‘that’ passionate about what you’re doing and desperate to make things good/right even when leadership makes it nearly impossible to do so with their restrictions & lack of care or respect, you’re a lot less willing to jump off ship so quickly, even when you know full well things aren’t looking good. Particularly when you genuinely have hope it’s only a matter of time before that positive change you’re hoping for is about to come in…

Which, admittedly, in this scenario, seems very probable to happen fairly soon.

Inspired Figment

Genuinely, I don’t think ‘everything’ Zach’s been put in charge of has been bad.. if he was in charge of the recreation of the entrance fountain in front of Spaceship Earth. That’s fantastic, Along with some of the new signage & coloring throughout the park. Sadly it’s everything else that’s extremely lacking or lackluster.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I personally think it’s less about Zach himself as a person and moreso to do with the limitations corporate puts on him, particularly in this scenario. And as a result, how phony/fake and sometimes downright nonsensical his posts sound a lot of the time. (It was already exposed earlier in the Three Caballeros post that his posts are heavily restricted/edited to read the way they do)
It was interesting to get that peak behind the curtains on the Mexico pavilion post, which showed that these posts are not just him freelancing but a part of his job that are full of edits suggested from elsewhere in WDI. In other words, they're seen as PR for the new additions aimed at the online fan community from WDI and he's the mouthpiece. I get that people don't like the tone or the additions themselves, but I find the personal vitriol directed at Zach himself almost like bullying. I'm sure people will mock that idea, but I find it really nasty and unpleasant to read.

Granted, I’m shocked that at this point, Zach hasn’t jumped ship yet with all the stuff going on there under Chapek…
This is, again, where I have some sympathy for him. I don't think there are too many jobs out there where he would get to work with unlimited budgets and have free creative reign. People always seem to want Imagineers to sacrifice their careers to defend whatever principles they feel are important in the parks, but I think that is a very easy expectation to project onto someone else and the calculations would be a little different in our own lives.

Inspired Figment

It was interesting to get that peak behind the curtains on the Mexico pavilion post, which showed that these posts are not just him freelancing but a part of his job that are full of edits suggested from elsewhere in WDI. In other words, they're seen as PR for the new additions aimed at the online fan community from WDI and he's the mouthpiece. I get that people don't like the tone or the additions themselves, but I find the personal vitriol directed at Zach himself almost like bullying. I'm sure people will mock that idea, but I find it really nasty and unpleasant to read.

This is, again, where I have some sympathy for him. I don't think there are too many jobs out there where he would get to work with unlimited budgets and have free creative reign. People always seem to want Imagineers to sacrifice their careers to defend whatever principles they feel are important in the parks, but I think that is a very easy expectation to project onto someone else and the calculations would be a little different in our own lives.
But he ‘doesn’t’ have free creative reign & unlimited budget compared to what was offered to imagineers before him in the past. Same goes for the ability of his real speech he’s able to have in his posts. That there is the problem, particularly the creative reign part. And tbh, I can see why people want them to defend those principles.. they ‘should’ be able to share that feedback with those above them without the risk of getting fired, especially when they mean well & genuinely want the company & it’s values to thrive. Those things that observant and knowledgeable fans keep bringing up is what makes & ‘has’ made Disney successful. But again, the problem is of course, arrogant management feels their narrow minded viewpoint of what EPCOT or Disney is, is right and everyone else below them that disagrees is wrong, despite nearly everything proving upper management’s viewpoint wrong.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Now do I find the vitriol directly pointed at Zach himself as a person wrong, particularly when he hasn’t been doing anything to intentionally blatantly disrespect anybody as people? Absolutely! But the criticism regarding the choices & additions made for the majority of the park in comparison to and/or how they respect the choices made in the past, I feel those are absolutely warranted, particularly when there’s no genuine effort to be seen in or at the very least, attempting to make things more in line with how they should be.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

But he ‘doesn’t’ have free creative reign & unlimited budget compared to what was offered to imagineers before him in the past.
Perhaps that's true, but my point was that people like Zach have to deal with other employment options that exist today. He can't leave WDI and choose any job from history that he would have liked if he doesn't like the IP mandate, for example.

In terms of everything else you mentioned, I definitely agree that it's perfectly valid to criticise WDI's work and how the parks are being run. I do that myself plenty and am not thrilled with a lot of what they're doing with Epcot. There also seems to be problems particular to WDI in the execution of many new attractions that go beyond budgets granted by executives, which are generally eye wateringly huge.

It's just this nasty streak that comes up occasionally in Disney (and I'm sure most) fandom of picking hate figures and ridiculing them mercilessly that rubs me the wrong way. Particularly in this case when half the threads are people waxing lyrical about the intricacies of what constitutes good theming, and the other half is people mocking someone at WDI as ridiculous for his posts explaining colour and design choices for a new store as if they were important.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom