Creations Shop opening this summer

Brer Oswald

I blame this less on WDI and more on the Bobs et al - WDI could come up with something well-themed and exciting.
I’m not sure who to blame Carnations Breakfast Shop on because we don’t have all of the data. It’s easy to blame The Iger and Chapek, but do we really know if it was them? What about daddy...I mean, The Josh? Maybe this was his idea? I wouldn’t write him out just yet.

IMDREW

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the one hand, it does look a little generic like it could be a high-end mall store. On the other, the design is very sleek and modern and seems to echo mid-century modern aesthetics in its embrace of open spaces, natural light, and uncovering rather than obscuring the form of the building with all sorts of overlaid decorations. That stripped back, modern aesthetic actually seems appropriate for Epcot, certainly more so than the clutter of MouseGear. In terms of theming, I much prefer this approach than adding a bunch of props. It will be nice if it is reflected on the exterior of the building

It seems that the replacement for Earth Station has been axed, but I think this shop would have complimented the open, mid-century inspired architecture of that building very nicely.

View attachment 546942
Has this been axed? 🥺

Dizknee_Phreek

Why? The Bob’s don’t design.
That doesn't matter. I have a BA in graphic design and worked in the field for years. Didn't stop those that hired me to do a job and who had zero design experience from hovering over my shoulder telling me where to place things, what font to use, what colors to use. Some people think they can design and use the people with actual know-how and experience as a puppet. Happened more times than not in my experience.

hopemax

They might be saving Generic Gifts for the new name of World Traveler at the International Gateway.
It's like someone heard the criticisms toward some of the recent names being too much of a mouthful, like how everyone was all Avatarland and Star Warsland and we got Pandora: The World of Avatar, and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and so they ran with it in a non-intended direction.

UNCgolf

Why? The Bob’s don’t design.

Indeed.

People have a tendency to dramatically overestimate how involved the CEO is in decisions like this (and Iger isn't even CEO anymore; the chairman of the board is another step removed). This is the kind of thing that might come across their desk as part of a much larger package of documents/data, but they're not going to be intimately involved in the design of a new gift shop. They're far more likely to have never even seen the concept art (because it was all handled and approved at a level below them) than they are to have had any input into what was designed.

That's not to excuse Iger and Chapek from the overall direction of the company, but it's hard to blame them for specific design decisions beyond a mandate to use IP or other such broad directives.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

The return of open glass walls is fantastic.

We can look at CommuniCore's gravesite from a restored view. I wonder if the restoration of walls of light, airconditioned views, water and trees will increase regret of the ill-considered demolition.

The interior looks plain. It's not bad design per sé, it's just that contemporary sleek interior design fits Apple Stores better than Disney.

Did the new Disney Springs Disney Store (yikes) make a baby with the (solid) Art of Animation lobby? Cause that's what it looks like.

Mickey? Really? That's the best they could come up with? How does that further the story of the EPCOT Replacement Park?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How are they going to go with a store so bland and boring like this but feel the need to change contemporary to incredible themed rooms?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom