Creations Shop opening this summer

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
9E245FB5-60E7-4A7B-B07C-28B8AC730EBD.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Remember when the Emporium felt old-timey, Centorium felt futuristic, and Mickey’s of Hollywood felt right out of the 1930’s? Later, World of Disney had a lot of whimsy to it. Now they all feel the same - Bland, modern, industrial, and uninspired. I guess it fits all the bland and uninspiring merchandise that fills those stores now. ☹️

Inspired Figment

For a store called “Creations” and then to use Mickey Mouse as the icon here is straight up ‘Laughable’, particuarly if this is supposed to be different from MouseGear. Like, I get it.. “Walt Disney said it was all started by a mouse”.. fair enough.. but you’ve ‘Literally’ got a character that embodies the spirit of creation & imagination made specifically for ‘EPCOT’, that, ‘Get this’, Sells Tons of Merchandise!! Why wouldn’t you use Figment?! It’s not like he’s not in the parks anymore, despite the poor shoehorned film IP state of his ride currently. Oh yeah, and what missed opportunity to pop in one of the old Dreamfinder Dreamcatching machines here.. the 2 things that are blatantly obvious to put in here aren’t there.. if that isn’t symbolic for how clueless current management is, I don’t know what else is.. from the guy that’s apparently an expert in merchandising...

Heck, even when using Mickey.. at the very least, put him in some EPCOT inspired clothes or settings... not just typical, normally dressed Mickey..

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

The thing I'm curious about is, will Dreamfinder's vehicle return or some other historical EPCOT props? Probably not.
I wish!! That would make a heck of a lot more sense, wouldn’t it? It’s a store that’s supposed to be about creativity and it’s theming showcases anything ‘but’ that. Lol! Even if you were to only utilize the mural. You could’ve had all those characters showcased there, possibly even Mickey & Friends included ‘with’ them but wearing different attire to represent the various World Showcase pavilions.. but yeah.. nope.

Sir_Cliff

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the one hand, it does look a little generic like it could be a high-end mall store. On the other, the design is very sleek and modern and seems to echo mid-century modern aesthetics in its embrace of open spaces, natural light, and uncovering rather than obscuring the form of the building with all sorts of overlaid decorations. That stripped back, modern aesthetic actually seems appropriate for Epcot, certainly more so than the clutter of MouseGear. In terms of theming, I much prefer this approach than adding a bunch of props. It will be nice if it is reflected on the exterior of the building

It seems that the replacement for Earth Station has been axed, but I think this shop would have complimented the open, mid-century inspired architecture of that building very nicely.

1618001444588.png

Last edited:

trainplane3

The thing I'm curious about is, will Dreamfinder's vehicle return or some other historical EPCOT props? Probably not.
They're using Mickey to represent creativity. You expect something interesting to be added to the store?

I'd welcome the surprise though.

Honestly, at the end of the day it's a friggin gift shop. The amount of ego stroking and self promotion of something so meaningless in the scope of things seems to be the new normal at WDI. The competition is doing things leaps and bounds beyond what WDI has on its plate, yet WDI is taking a victory lap over a gift shop. What's next, extolling the wonders of the latest transformative and magical bathroom renovation on Instagram?
Which is the hilarious part. Universal opened a new store last week. Sure, it's not groundbreaking and it's exterior still isn't done but it was literally "oh this is opened" and people were plenty happy. The "legacy store" is very well done for "just" a store with all of its props and models, a nice look back on what once was (something that could fit Epcot perfectly).

All without acting like they did years of research for a basic park store.

It's disappointing to see what WDI has turned into.

Last edited:

ppete1975

I think its nicely done.. reminds me a bit of mid century with the wood and windows and overall design..... id rather it be 2 story and like it was in the 80s but thats me.....
my big gripe is this
"Mickey Mouse mural along the side wall and homages to him throughout the interior. There large dynamic murals will showcase the global, contemporary icon that Mickey has become for generations around the world. "

Mickey doesnt belong in epcot... past present or future... let alone the focal point....... epcot has never needed to lean on the disney characters.... use a space mural or even figment... or just art!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom