Creations Shop opening this summer

Splashin' Ryan

None of what they're doing in EPCOT is cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
Partially true. What they're currently doing in the center of EPCOT is selecting pieces and parts of a much larger and far more expensive plan set out years and years and years ago. While the parts being completed right now are on their own expensive, overall I would have to imagine the cost of redoing the entire core of EPCOT (new coaster aside) has been at least half of what it would have been 5-6 years ago.

lazyboy97o

Fair enough. I guess the question, then, is where the money is going. If Disney as a company is not being cheap in terms of how much money is being allocated to these projects but then execution suffers because the money is being spent poorly, the latter seems to be the issue more than the former.
There’s a whole bloated bureaucracy to get anything done. Too many people get a say. Too many meetings to decide anything. Too much hesitancy. And yes, despite Disney being a business, there are egos and insecurities involved so that people want to make sure they are “contributing” to the project even if it up ends undoing work that has already been done. Some of the documentaries about Feature Animation in the mid-to-late 90s are a good example of a similar situation where too many people were getting involved who should not have been involved.

Last edited:

jt04

Partially true. What they're currently doing in the center of EPCOT is selecting pieces and parts of a much larger and far more expensive plan set out years and years and years ago. While the parts being completed right now are on their own expensive, overall I would have to imagine the cost of redoing the entire core of EPCOT (new coaster aside) has been at least half of what it would have been 5-6 years ago.

Are you sure or are these educated guesses? I haven't heard anything in detail about revised plans.

Disstevefan1

I kind of feel the opposite. None of what they're doing in EPCOT is cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Demolishing CommuniCore west, building Cosmic Rewind, installing Harmonious ... These are all vastly more expensive ventures than they needed to be, reflecting a penchant for grandiose megaliths even when they come at the expense of the sense of scale and detail inherent in the rest of the park. I don't think cheap is the problem with any of the new builds or refurbishments, in EPCOT or in the resorts.
While it’s good to see money finally being spent on EPCOT, I think you are conflating the money spent on the whole EPCOT renovation with the money spent to build the creations retail location.

Sure, money is being spent on the reimagining of EPCOT, but the money spent to create this new creations shop (boy what a bad name) has to be less than what they would have spent on a 2021 version of what we remember as Mouse Gear; The original Mouse Gear was so highly themed, it was almost an attraction itself.

By the way, you wanna see themed retail, go see the Universal tribute stores!!!! These tribute stores are so well done and so highly themed, you are pulled in just to see it.. Then you buy something 😀

lazyboy97o

While it’s good to see money finally being spent on EPCOT, I think you are conflating the money spent on the whole EPCOT renovation with the money spent to build the creations retail location.

Sure, money is being spent on the reimagining of EPCOT, but the money spent to create this new creations shop (boy what a bad name) has to be less than what they would have spent on a 2021 version of what we remember as Mouse Gear; The original Mouse Gear was so highly themed, it was almost an attraction itself.

By the way, you wanna see themed retail, go see the Universal tribute stores!!!! These tribute stores are so well done and so highly themed, you are pulled in just to see it.. Then you buy something 😀
Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. So while the amount spent on props might be less, the money is there to do more. But also remember that minimalist design actually tends to cost a lot, especially if it is done well. An Apple Store in a mall is easily the most expensive one to build.

TikibirdLand

Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. So while the amount spent on props might be less, the money is there to do more. But also remember that minimalist design actually tends to cost a lot, especially if it is done well. An Apple Store in a mall is easily the most expensive one to build.
Sorry, not an architecture student... How is this possible? I'd seriously like to understand how this is possible...

Splashin' Ryan

Are you sure or are these educated guesses? I haven't heard anything in detail about revised plans.
Every single piece of concept art for the space over the past 5-6 years looks wildly different than the next. For example, the D23 concept art that was dark blue and circulated for years had a coaster and a maze and loads of fountains all in the center of EPCOT. Even being blue sky concept art, some of those ideas had to be solid plans at some point. Even now, the egg-shaped raised event center has been changed/cut/postponed from the plans. The plans have 100% changed over the years, we're just not sure what exactly it is that has changed.

lazyboy97o

Sorry, not an architecture student... How is this possible? I'd seriously like to understand how this is possible...
The materials is a big one. Those tables and shelves aren’t laminated particleboard or MDF but actual solid wood. The tables themselves are also specially designed to conceal all of the cables and everything without obvious visible joints, drawers and panels. Actually building that requires a lot of skill and hard work to accomplish. All of that type work and material choice applies to everything else. The reason everything else isn’t that neat, precise and concealed is because bog standard products aren’t made that way because it is so expensive.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Wow, less theming that costs more. Well there it is. Disney is, as always, making good decisions and spending their shareholders money well. Great job Disney. Can’t wait to see this new Creations shop. Disney is also excellent in naming stuff too.

James Alucobond

Wow, less theming that costs more. Well there it is. Disney is, as always, making good decisions and spending their shareholders money well. Great job Disney. Can’t wait to see this new Creations shop. Disney is also excellent in naming stuff too.
I mean ... It will likely be immaculately themed for the type of architectural style it's trying to achieve. It might not be a style that resonates with many Disney fans as it focuses on materials and minimalist bespoke furnishings, but it's ultimately still being faithful to the source (which isn't Apple; they just popularized the trend in the public consciousness). Or do you mean that there will be minimal "Disney" theming? If so, I should think people would welcome the relief in a park being overtaken by IP.

G00fyDad

I mean ... It will likely be immaculately themed for the type of architectural style it's trying to achieve. It might not be a style that resonates with many Disney fans as it focuses on materials and minimalist bespoke furnishings, but it's ultimately still being faithful to the source (which isn't Apple; they just helped revive the trend). Or do you mean that there will be minimal "Disney" theming? If so, I should think people would welcome the relief in a park being overtaken by IP.
^^THIS^^

I see enough characters in the parks and I will see enough Disney stuff/characters on the shelves in this store. Do we have to have characters hanging from the ceiling too?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
^^THIS^^

I see enough characters in the parks and I will see enough Disney stuff/characters on the shelves in this store. Do we have to have characters hanging from the ceiling too?

How else will you know “it’s Disney”? The rubes need constant reminders, you see, so The Bob’s are just looking to give them that gentle, reassuring reinforcement. And if they buy a bunch of overpriced crap to boot, that’s just a bonus. 😉

Disstevefan1

I mean ... It will likely be immaculately themed for the type of architectural style it's trying to achieve. It might not be a style that resonates with many Disney fans as it focuses on materials and minimalist bespoke furnishings, but it's ultimately still being faithful to the source (which isn't Apple; they just popularized the trend in the public consciousness). Or do you mean that there will be minimal "Disney" theming? If so, I should think people would welcome the relief in a park being overtaken by IP.
To each their own, and as we know Disney will do what Disney will do no matter what any of us think.

Some will always think Disney made the right decision (or rationalize it is right), some will always think Disney made the wrong decisions.

I personally am all over the place; I loved Horizons, I also love Mission Space and wish we had both, I like Test track more than what it replaced; the world of Motion, but I liked the original Test Track better than today’s Tron version.

And in another plug for universal, I love their tribute stores, they are highly themed “attraction like retail” they change over time and seasons, and offer both merch and snacks. Very well done. They really hit on something there.

As for the Creations Shop, I am looking forward to it being completed; it will be a nice air conditioned space to get out of the heat and I will buy something. Disney wins again.

aladdin2007

^^THIS^^

I agree and wouldn't want that either, but it could at least have included well known epcot themes and icons, or something that at least felt like it was in a theme park and not disney springs. These things being drawn up by people out in California who know nothing about the parks in Florida or epcot itself is a problem. One individual in particular who clearly is clueless even though he states otherwise yet only knows how to dig up old concept art and spin it as justification or something new when it isn't, is just bad.

G00fyDad

I agree and wouldn't want that either, but it could at least have included well known epcot themes and icons, or something that at least felt like it was in a theme park and not disney springs. These things being drawn up by people out in California who know nothing about the parks in Florida or epcot itself is a problem. One individual in particular who clearly is clueless even though he states otherwise yet only knows how to dig up old concept art and spin it as justification or something new when it isn't, is just bad.
I understand you're frustration. If something that I expected or felt that way about suddenly disappeared and I'd be upset too. I just look at the renderings for the inside of that shop and I can't help but like it.

Poseidon Quest

They could have been more creative than to go with the name "Creation shop". I don't think they know what the theming for this section is.

I was thinking "Bland Corporate Merchandise Location" might be a better fit for the name. I can definitely see a D23 announcement where Chapek stands up and announces that it'll be inspired by "absolutely nothing" and the crowds will cheer and clap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom