Creations Shop opening this summer

TikibirdLand

I've always thought that the name, design, and the messy messiness of the interior design of MouseGear was awful. After two attempts of browsing, I never went back in... there was absolutely nothing attractive about it, IMO, to draw me back in. So, I'm glad for a redesign.

So, now. You know a single person in favor of its redesign.

I also thought the previous "whimsical" WoD was a messy mess. I like its new redesign and I see and appreciate its backstory every time I go in. Kinda hard to miss all the artists' furniture and animated portraits.
I lOVED the old WoD design. Loved the movement on the walls and the playfulness that was going on up on the ceiling. The redesign is stark and not interesting, IMO. But, if it helps sell merch, who am I? No longer a customer, that's for sure...

peter11435

I lOVED the old WoD design. Loved the movement on the walls and the playfulness that was going on up on the ceiling. The redesign is stark and not interesting, IMO. But, if it helps sell merch, who am I? No longer a customer, that's for sure...
“Movement on the walls” ?

TikibirdLand

“Movement on the walls” ?
Yeah, they had gears and other things going on. IIRC, they even had a re-enactment of the the Charlie Chaplin schitck was Donald as the stand-in getting rotated. It was behind the check out counters. There was other movement too. I believe I might have some video somewhere. DW thought it was silly taking video of a store like that. Now I wish I had spent more time in there.

peter11435

Yeah, they had gears and other things going on. IIRC, they even had a re-enactment of the the Charlie Chaplin schitck was Donald as the stand-in getting rotated. It was behind the check out counters. There was other movement too. I believe I might have some video somewhere. DW thought it was silly taking video of a store like that. Now I wish I had spent more time in there.
I thought you were talking about WoD

Poseidon Quest

I've always thought that the name, design, and the messy messiness of the interior design of MouseGear was awful. After two attempts of browsing, I never went back in... there was absolutely nothing attractive about it, IMO, to draw me back in. So, I'm glad for a redesign.

So, now. You know a single person in favor of its redesign.

Oh no, MouseGear was pretty bad. The new design is no better though. It took the very generic, undesirable theming of MouseGear and made makes it somehow more generic and undesirable.

TikibirdLand

I think you are mistaken

WoD didn’t have gears and moving elements. It sounds like you are thinking of MouseGear.
Now, I'm gonna have to find some video. I distinctly remember moving elements behind the cashier area. My DW had to yank me out. But, I do have some video.

Bocabear

Personally I like the way the new WoD and what Creations Shop (will) look like. I like the cleaner lines and everything.
I don't mind cleaner lines, but I don't want the signature shops in any of the theme parks to look like an Apple Store...or any other store I can see in my own town... These retail spaces should be unique and beautiful... Wow it has windows and a wood ceiling....The original Centrum had windows and a Mezzanine level.. Lots of fun modernist design... The formula of natural wood and supergraphics, all stripped out like WOD is not is going to be dated by the time I finish posting this...lol

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
personally i feel like we're simply seeing changing design trends. you don't design a store in 2021 with 90s design aesthetics
I don't think its so cut and dry. I think you can find a balance between being modern in design trends and not stripping away what makes places desirable to spend your hard earned money. A great example of not finding any balance is the World of Disney shop in DS. The place looks like a banana republic, its awful and sad to see. They could have added many more playful elements to distinguish itself from every other store on this planet but they decided not to.

FigmentFan82

I don't think its so cut and dry. I think you can find a balance between being modern in design trends and not stripping away what makes places desirable to spend your hard earned money. A great example of not finding any balance is the World of Disney shop in DS. The place looks like a banana republic, its awful and sad to see. They could have added many more playful elements to distinguish itself from every other store on this planet but they decided not to.
🤷‍♂️

UNCgolf

While I agree that the World of Disney looks like any number of random stores now (other than the touches at the cash registers, which are neat), I'm not sure it matters that much now that Disney merchandise is mostly homogenized. Basically everything you can buy at World of Disney is available elsewhere in the parks and the resort gift shops (and vice versa), so there's not any specific reason to go in there.

In other circumstances that would mean you'd want the store itself to be more of a draw to get people inside, but attendance is so high all the time that it doesn't really matter. There are always a bunch of people in there.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
While I agree that the World of Disney looks like any number of random stores now (other than the touches at the cash registers, which are neat), I'm not sure it matters that much now that Disney merchandise is mostly homogenized. Basically everything you can buy at World of Disney is available elsewhere in the parks and the resort gift shops (and vice versa), so there's not any specific reason to go in there.

In other circumstances that would mean you'd want the store itself to be more of a draw to get people inside, but attendance is so high all the time that it doesn't really matter. There are always a bunch of people in there.
Totally get your point but you see to me it was never about the Merch, what drew me in was the charming and playful aesthetic, then guess what would happen? I'd end up buying Merch, with no original plan to do so, and Disney wins. Now there is no reason for me to go, thus I don't buy any merch.

I understand I am in the minority there, and as you mentioned, people will still come in droves for whatever reason. It's as if we are all ok with homogenized things now. Everything just seems so boring and plain to me now.

UNCgolf

Totally get your point but you see to me it was never about the Merch, what drew me in was the charming and playful aesthetic, then guess what would happen? I'd end up buying Merch, with no original plan to do so, and Disney wins. Now there is no reason for me to go, thus I don't buy any merch.

I understand I am in the minority there, and as you mentioned, people will still come in droves for whatever reason. It's as if we are all ok with homogenized things now. Everything just seems so boring and plain to me now.

Right, that's what I meant with my second paragraph. That you'd want the store itself to attract customers and then people end up buying something when they're inside.

But Disney just doesn't need to do that (unfortunately) since the store is packed anyways.

TikibirdLand

No, buddy. I'm on the same page as you. If I can get the same generic stuff anywhere on property, why would I go here? But, they know their market. Sadly, I don't think they include us in "their demographic".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom