Creations Shop opening this summer

sedati

And that's how it should be across the board. But Disney now starts with the IP and then works backwards from there. Previously they would start with the theme.
Yes, then that theme would be mutilated by whatever corporate sponsor was willing to chip in on the bill. And their influence was hardly invisible. I mean, am I the only one who remembers sitting through an EIGHT MINUTE Kodak commercial to watch "Magic Journeys?" Makin' Memories indeed- memories of paying an entrance fee then paying further still by being a captive audience to corporate propaganda. Want to visit Sea Base Alpha? Well, how's bout you wait a spell in a nice airconditioned circle-vision theater that shows... a SLIDESHOW presentation touting the wonders of United Technologies. Was this a theme park or did we wander into a managers meeting at the local Hyatt?

UNCgolf

And that's how it should be across the board. But Disney now starts with the IP and then works backwards from there. Previously they would start with the theme.

There are absolutely IPs that work in EPCOT. I really don't object to Ratatouille in France or Coco in Mexico for example. I also think there are story treatments that could justify Guardians and/or Wakanda in Future World. What I object to are the lazy "familiarity" driven IP integrations like Frozen, Finding Nemo and likely whatever we're going to see in Harmonious.

Well, not really at DHS. Even in that park's original incarnation, it was basically a free zone for whatever IP they wanted. Mostly agreed on everything else, although I'm never really going to be a fan of IP in Future World -- mainly because the original park didn't have any and it was my favorite park ever.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Latest construction progress at EPCOT'S new flagship retail store - 'Creations Shop'​

Creations-Shop_Full_41721.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Azuwlsh

Feels like a very Epcot thing to do!
I think it looks nice - I was never a huge fan of Mouse Gear, but I am a fan of clean, open spaces like that. Very futuristic!
Feels like a very Epcot thing to do!
I think it looks nice - I was never a huge fan of Mouse Gear, but I am a fan of clean, open spaces like that. Very futuristic!
You can tell they didn’t talk to a single retail store manager before coming up with the design. Windows letting the sunlight in means:
1. Higher air conditioning costs because the sun will heat up the store, FAST.
2. Higher maintenance costs. Time + window frames/caulking = leaks
3. Higher product costs because nothing fades merchandise quite like direct sunlight.
4. Potentially higher employee turnover. If those windows are facing west (I haven’t a clue) having to talk to customers and make eye contact

lazyboy97o

You can tell they didn’t talk to a single retail store manager before coming up with the design. Windows letting the sunlight in means:
3. Higher product costs because nothing fades merchandise quite like direct sunlight.
4. Potentially higher employee turnover. If those windows are facing west (I haven’t a clue) having to talk to customers and make eye contact
Contemporary window wall and curtain wall products can properly shed water. Glazing is available that limits transmission.

Mickeynerd17

These same issues happened in the original Communicore as well as the old Image Works. Returning to some form of the original design has its costs.

91JLovesDisney

Right right...

but it looks nice

peter11435

Disney has hundreds of buildings and facilities around the world. They are well aware of the issues you mention. If they used the proper materials installed correctly none of them will be an issue. Product typically doesn’t sit in the shelves long enough to fade.

JohnD

Latest construction progress at EPCOT'S new flagship retail store - 'Creations Shop'​

Creations-Shop_Full_41721.jpg
Call me crazy but if Mickey is featured throughout the store, why not retain the name “Mouse Gear”? Whatever. They can call it Creations if they want. I along with returning guests will still call it Mouse Gear. New guests will just think of it as the EPCOT gift shop. It really is a forgettable name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom