Crazy WDW stories....let's hear 'em!

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
So, I haven't seen any thread like this yet, so if its already out there, I apologize...I was wondering what kind of crazy things have happened to people at WDW, like being there during a hurricane (like my story below) or anything else memorable. Sorry my story is kinda long, but it was a crazy day!

In Sept 04 my DH, mother-in-law, brother and his girlfriend drove from MI to WDW for a 6 night stay at SS. It happened to be the same time hurricane Frances was rolling through Florida...actually it was due to cross over Orlando just at the same time we were due to arrive in Orlando...so, as we entered FL, the traffic disappeared, other than the occasional car we saw heading the opposite way. There was damage and downed trees everywhere the closer we got to WDW property. Once on property, there wasn't a car in site...no buses, no people, nothing. We even called SS a few hours away just to let them know we were still coming and to make sure someone was there! They told us the worst of the storm was due to come thru at 11am...which of course was about when we thought we'd be there. So, we finally arrive at SS and there was no one in the lobby...no cast members, no guests, nothing. We waited for only a minute or so before a cast member came out from the back room and checked us in. He said there was a mandatory curfew (I think he said curfew) and that everything was closed and that we needed to get to our room NOW. We did and luckily we had brought some food with us for our drive cause nothing was open. We would have had no food all day! Since we drove all night, we were tired, so we took a nap once getting to the room. Suddenly, we were all woken up quite violently to the sound of the fire alarm. A very, very LOUD fire alarm! We all jumped up, threw our shoes on and ran out of the room. Everyone else was heading out to the front of the building as well. Firetrucks and cops showed up. We waited about 15-20 minutes before they let us back in saying it was a false alarm. 5 minutes after getting back to our room (of course we were UP by then, theres no going back to sleep after being woken up like THAT!) the alarm went off again! We all ran back outside and again the firefighters checked it out and determined that it was the strong winds knocking a firealarm against the wall causing it to go off! It was CRAZY! I have the funniest picture of my group waiting outside to be cleared to go back in. When rushing out of your hotel room during a fire alarm, what would you be sure to grab on your way out the door? In the pic, you see my DH has his wallet in his hands, my brother has a flashlight, his gf has a can of pop and my mother-in-law has a cigarette...oh yeah, and I had the camera :ROFLOL:!!! Priorities :) It ended up being a great trip with the parks all cleared out and all to ourselves thanks to Hurricane Frances!!

BigRedDad

Not mine, but my sisters. Back in 78 or 79, Mickey got thrown into the water at Grad Night. They stopped character interaction at Grad Night after that for some time.

Another was a guy I was in HS with. We were there on some trip with school. His mother worked for WDW in some capacity. While visiting MK for the day, he was called aside by some MK manager, asked if he ever thought about being Mickey, and was later given a job as Mickey. At the time, he had the rare size requirements for the Mickey costumes.

rsoxguy

I was once in WDW with my good friend Idi Amin when someone suddenly yelled, "Hey you lousy dictator, get out of my theme park". We turned to see Mickey Mouse waving a fist of rage at Idi. Mr. Amin became angry and suddenly charged at Mickey with the force of a linebacker. Mickey took off one of his over sized shoes and hurled it at Idi's head, and proceeded to...... Wait a minute, you wanted true stories, didn't you? Never mind.

Fizbain32

We came in after Francis between Ivan. We were delayed by a day but with Ivan threatening, seemed like no one showed up for 2 weeks. It was like they opened WDW just for us.

floridatim

So, I haven't seen any thread like this yet, so if its already out there, I apologize...I was wondering what kind of crazy things have happened to people at WDW, like being there during a hurricane (like my story below) or anything else memorable. Sorry my story is kinda long, but it was a crazy day!

In Sept 04 my DH, mother-in-law, brother and his girlfriend drove from MI to WDW for a 6 night stay at SS. It happened to be the same time hurricane Frances was rolling through Florida...actually it was due to cross over Orlando just at the same time we were due to arrive in Orlando...so, as we entered FL, the traffic disappeared, other than the occasional car we saw heading the opposite way. There was damage and downed trees everywhere the closer we got to WDW property. Once on property, there wasn't a car in site...no buses, no people, nothing. We even called SS a few hours away just to let them know we were still coming and to make sure someone was there! They told us the worst of the storm was due to come thru at 11am...which of course was about when we thought we'd be there. So, we finally arrive at SS and there was no one in the lobby...no cast members, no guests, nothing. We waited for only a minute or so before a cast member came out from the back room and checked us in. He said there was a mandatory curfew (I think he said curfew) and that everything was closed and that we needed to get to our room NOW. We did and luckily we had brought some food with us for our drive cause nothing was open. We would have had no food all day! Since we drove all night, we were tired, so we took a nap once getting to the room. Suddenly, we were all woken up quite violently to the sound of the fire alarm. A very, very LOUD fire alarm! We all jumped up, threw our shoes on and ran out of the room. Everyone else was heading out to the front of the building as well. Firetrucks and cops showed up. We waited about 15-20 minutes before they let us back in saying it was a false alarm. 5 minutes after getting back to our room (of course we were UP by then, theres no going back to sleep after being woken up like THAT!) the alarm went off again! We all ran back outside and again the firefighters checked it out and determined that it was the strong winds knocking a firealarm against the wall causing it to go off! It was CRAZY! I have the funniest picture of my group waiting outside to be cleared to go back in. When rushing out of your hotel room during a fire alarm, what would you be sure to grab on your way out the door? In the pic, you see my DH has his wallet in his hands, my brother has a flashlight, his gf has a can of pop and my mother-in-law has a cigarette...oh yeah, and I had the camera :ROFLOL:!!! Priorities :) It ended up being a great trip with the parks all cleared out and all to ourselves thanks to Hurricane Frances!!
we was out there at excatly the same time as you for hurricane frances,we landed the same day it was due to come through too

LucyintheSky

Well, it's not exactly a "crazy" story, more just odd... I was a CM on September, 11 2001, and the period after. One day right after airports reopened and planes were flying again, I had been pulled my my regular area to work crowd control in the hub for the afternoon parade. The hub was full of people waiting for the parade, and accordingly loud. Well, a plane started going by overhead. It wasn't close or anything, but enough to be noticed. As soon as people started hearing it, it seemed like everyone, and I mean everyone, CMs and guests, all stopped what they were doing and looked up. It was so bizarre, the crowded hub became SO quiet and still as we all just sort of watched this plane go by. Then after a minute the noise and commotion started back up again.

I think it was because the whole thing was still no fresh and raw to everyone, and alot of people were nervous. It was just a very odd experience.

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
Well, it's not exactly a "crazy" story, more just odd... I was a CM on September, 11 2001, and the period after. One day right after airports reopened and planes were flying again, I had been pulled my my regular area to work crowd control in the hub for the afternoon parade. The hub was full of people waiting for the parade, and accordingly loud. Well, a plane started going by overhead. It wasn't close or anything, but enough to be noticed. As soon as people started hearing it, it seemed like everyone, and I mean everyone, CMs and guests, all stopped what they were doing and looked up. It was so bizarre, the crowded hub became SO quiet and still as we all just sort of watched this plane go by. Then after a minute the noise and commotion started back up again.

I think it was because the whole thing was still no fresh and raw to everyone, and alot of people were nervous. It was just a very odd experience.
I think it would be pretty crazy to see everyone stare up into the sky in total silence! Kinda like a Twilight Zone experience...very odd!

DisneyPrincess5

Two trips ago we rode ToT one day and a 10 or 11 year old boy rode with us who was clearly terrified of the ride before we actually rode it and his mother assured him it would be fine.
He sat behind us and literally cried and screamed "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE" while the ride continually dropped.
It was not fine as his mother told him it would be and wouldn't speak to her when the ride was over!

xtina72

We were at MK when Selina Gomez was there and she was coming on stage to do, I dont know whatever it was she was going to do, maybe sing? we werent staying just passing through...and there was this guy, he was about 45 and he was going ape s**t over just the thought that she would be on stage soon, he had no children with him, just his equally as crazy wife saying "Oh honey are you excited? im so excited that your going to get to see her in person!" let me just note, they did not seem mentally handicapped in any way....

My husband kept saying: "walk faster...faster"..............

:lookaroun

xtina72

Two trips ago we rode ToT one day and a 10 or 11 year old boy rode with us who was clearly terrified of the ride before we actually rode it and his mother assured him it would be fine.
He sat behind us and literally cried and screamed "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE" while the ride continually dropped.
It was not fine as his mother told him it would be and wouldn't speak to her when the ride was over!

Aweee! My husband and I were on line to ride Expedition everest and there was this kid in front of us, he was like 11 and he was all by himself!! So he talked to us all through the line and he was getting more and more nervious as we got closer to the ride....then he said to us "will one of you ride with me?" So my husband said "yeah man Ill ride with you" My husband said that the minute the ride went backwards he clutched his arm into a bear hug and just screamed the entire time! :lol:

We then brought him to his mom and his aunt who thanked us over and over....my husband ended up buying the picture at the end and it was buy one get one free and we gave the other one to the kid...it was funny to think that in 20 years this kid is going to look at this picture and be like "who the HELL is this guy???"

Everytime we saw him around the park he would run up to my husband and knuckle punch him.

:lol:

Walt Disney1955

1995. Maelstrom ride. Epcot. We get into the boat at the back (my mom and I) and there is an older couple ahead of us. For some reason the husband goes to the right and gets off the boat. This is just as the ride is about to start. The wife gets up and does likewise but the ride starts and she trips and falls. One foot basically went into the water. She was okay but she had the nerve to blame the operator.

My thought? They don't say keep your hands and feet in the ride at all times just for kicks

Walt Disney1955

This isn't a crazy story but back in 1991 it was my first trip to WDW. We were in line for the Skyway (I miss that) and there was a couple from France in front of us. I literally spoke fluent french at that time (I took major French classes in school) so I could talk to them properly. I remember them talking about a Disney Park opening in Paris in 1992. I translated that to my parents. Funny how I remember that

wdwwdeagle

Crazy person: The guy who attacked/punched DH's ankle from a seated position last month at MK when DH tried to walk past the spot he was saving for the parade. (Picture the chicken hawk from Warner Brothers cartoons trying to protect the chicken yard, and you've pretty much got it.)

Crazy experience: Riding at the front of the monorail after a dinner at V&A, including wine pairing (6 glasses), so I'm a smidge tipsy (okay, I'm drunk). During the ride, we got to see the fireworks going off for grad night (cool!), and hear the stories from the driver about the "extracurricular activities" that often happen on the monorail on grad nights. Then, the driver asks me if I want to "drive" the monorail, and idiot me says I'd better not since I've had too much to drink and don't want to drink and drive. Still kicking myself for being so darn responsible.

Scariest moment: My daughter became violently ill on the final night/morning of our last trip. We had to leave for home with her still very ill, and so DH was half-carrying her to the elevator at the BWI. As they were waiting for the elevator with the bellman with all the bags, she passed out and crumpled to the floor. So DH had to lay her down and try to revive her while the bellman stood there with the cart full of suitcases. She came to, and made it home okay, but it was a scary moment.

Chevross

I remember one time (can't remember the year) my bud Randy and I was at the World and people, upon seeing him because he's a bit famous, would just try to punch their way through the crowd and try to get an autograph. Well, Randy and I had security around us but one "fan" managed to get me good right in the jaw.

I remember the ride back to the hotel Randy asked me what happened, and I told him that I took a cheap shot for him. We just laughed cause looking back on it, it was funny but a bit painful.

LilWalt

Nothing real crazy but I thought kind of nice of Disney.

We stayed at CS for my son's 1st birthday in August of 2008. Hurricane Gustav was actually hitting Louisiana while we were in Disney. So I talked to the front desk and asked if it would be a problem to get a couple extra nights because we couldn't go home for a couple days. They charged me for the room but compted the park tickets for the extra days we stayed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom