Crash at Lights Motors Action today

Wesleyjohn

Its time they close down LMA and start building Star Wars land. Im glad everyone was ok, but these stunt shows are dangerous and not worth it.

I'm glad everyone is okay too. Guns, planes(that fly to WDW), cars, machines, and on and on and on, are dangerous in some capacity. WWE stunts, movie stunts etc, etc. should we stop anything dangerous?

Drivers are paid to do a job, goofed up this time, it happens. We shouldn't stop the show because its dangerous.

Not worth it seems a little much because of an accident

Goofyernmost

Its time they close down LMA and start building Star Wars land. Im glad everyone was ok, but these stunt shows are dangerous and not worth it.
So you're saying that a large group of people that do this for a living, and are probably very well paid should be fired because one guy miscalculated his stunt and had a little ouchy? To us it is entertainment, to them it is there livelihood. Every dangerous job in this country would have to stop because, well, someone could get hurt. Heck, we can do without Policemen, Firemen, Coast Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, I hear that they could get hurt.

alissafalco

No you're the one who's saying that.
So you're saying that a large group of people that do this for a living, and are probably very well paid should be fired because one guy miscalculated his stunt and had a little ouchy? To us it is entertainment, to them it is there livelihood. Every dangerous job in this country would have to stop because, well, someone could get hurt. Heck, we can do without Policemen, Firemen, Coast Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, I hear that they could get hurt.

alissafalco

I'm glad everyone is okay too. Guns, planes(that fly to WDW), cars, machines, and on and on and on, are dangerous in some capacity. WWE stunts, movie stunts etc, etc. should we stop anything dangerous?

Drivers are paid to do a job, goofed up this time, it happens. We shouldn't stop the show because its dangerous.

I disagree

Wesleyjohn

You said its dangerous and not worth it. Go to your post. Maybe you should edit it if you don't believe it.

My shoelaces weren't tied yesterday, I tripped and fell. They're dangerous so I'm not going to wear shoes anymore. It's not worth it!

I realize we're taking your point too far but I think your point goes too far from the start

I'm done now

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I came here....I wasn't a big poster then....and reported it as soon as I could after it happened. Aaaaaand, got called a liar & told I made it up to get attention. Buncha DBs, I swear. Whatever. Do ya want news or not? Right? Since then I post in this section with my fisticuffs at the ready. It's a tough room but, hey, I'm a tough girl. ;)

I'm usually very opinionated when I post. But yea people can get aggressive in these forums xD Gotta suck it up. :p

ChrisFL

Premium Member

wow, nice way to take it to extremes there...sorta makes it impossible to have a rational argument about whether there's a degree of danger that's too much in this show :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

wow, nice way to take it to extremes there...sorta makes it impossible to have a rational argument about whether there's a degree of danger that's too much in this show :rolleyes:
Sometimes things have to be taken to extremes to end up in a logical place. Are stunt shows dangerous? Of course they are, but they are far less dangerous then just driving your car to the market. These are highly skilled and trained people and this is how they make their living. Just because one driver, one time, misjudged his stunt does not call for the end of the show. It's a head in the sand type of argument that everything in life will be totally safe. We built this world and we learn to live in it, risks and all.

alissafalco

You said its dangerous and not worth it. Go to your post. Maybe you should edit it if you don't believe it.

My shoelaces weren't tied yesterday, I tripped and fell. They're dangerous so I'm not going to wear shoes anymore. It's not worth it!

I realize we're taking your point too far but I think your point goes too far from the start

I'm done now
I disagree

Goofyernmost

Yes, it was me saying that, but, it is because with the exception of the priority of the particular participation, it is the same thing. This is an entertainment attraction, it is entertaining because there is an element of risk involved and most of us do not have the intestinal fortitude to do these things ourselves so we get our thrills from watching others take chances. That's why action films, sci-fi, hack and puck movies are so popular. The point is that many things including crossing the street holds an element of risk. At least, this one is far more controlled. Calling for the end of the show because they had a fender bender is as extreme, if not more, then what I said about it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Sometimes things have to be taken to extremes to end up in a logical place. Are stunt shows dangerous? Of course they are, but they are far less dangerous then just driving your car to the market. These are highly skilled and trained people and this is how they make their living. Just because one driver, one time, misjudged his stunt does not call for the end of the show. It's a head in the sand type of argument that everything in life will be totally safe. We built this world and we learn to live in it, risks and all.

But that isn't the only accident...as mentioned before, there have been several accidents...do a search on this board and some of the other Disney boards and you'll see info about them.

Goofyernmost

But that isn't the only accident...as mentioned before, there have been several accidents...do a search on this board and some of the other Disney boards and you'll see info about them.
I am aware of other accidents. It's a auto stunt show for heavens sake. If people want to stay home and play bridge then they should do that, but, let's not build a mountain out of a minor mole hill that this is.The chances are that the show will be going away anyway. It's an expensive show to produce and I'm thinking that they will eventually need that space for something worthwhile.

sweetpee_1993

I'm usually very opinionated when I post. But yea people can get aggressive in these forums xD Gotta suck it up. :p
True that. It just stands out when there's this one section of the forum I post on with such a markedly different feeling. I can post in any other section here and its different in so many ways. Very odd.

Physically sitting and talking with a group of ladies who are also active on this forum/website, I think it speaks volumes that so many made comments about my posting in the news & rumors section being a *brave* thing to do. Brave. Many people won't post here because they're uncomfortable doing so. That fact leaves me wondering what info might be missed because of the harshness often seen in the news/rumors section. Kinda sad really.

Like I told the girls, tho: I post when I have something to say and I don't give a f*** who likes it. Someone wants to be a DB, they can be the DB. That's fine by me. ;)

Goofyernmost

I wouldn't go so far as to compare these stunt drivers to soldiers. These guys do it for the entertainment, soldiers do it for the freedom.

In 7 trips to WDW we've seen LMA once. We wouldn't blink if they took it out.
I've been one of those soldiers, it was generally done for all of us and our freedom, but, we did it as our job. Except for the stakes there is no difference. Risk is risk. We live with it everyday and this whiny attitude that every time we see something that looks dangerous should just be shut it down, is not the answer. Whether or not you or I would blink if it were gone really isn't the point. Knee jerk reaction is and it is that same knee jerk reaction that has cause all of us a lot of problems over the years.

Obviously, the possible risks were taken into consideration when the show and vehicle designs were drawn up. No one was hurt and that is the way it was planned. They didn't plan that the specific accident would happen, but, they did plan for the possibility and that should be what it's all about.

Goofyernmost

I was a soldier too, along with millions of others. But I still wouldn't miss LMA. I don't want it shut down due to "danger", I just don't care for it.
Exactly my point. It's not that it would close, it would be why. Worrying about danger to people who specialize in it, is just not logical, said Mr. Spock! I do enjoy seeing it once in a while, but, it isn't an every trip event for me. If I'm in that area and the show is starting soon, I will go to it, otherwise... a flower garden would be nice there as well.:happy:

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
And I would assume they have spare cars.

Space cars. Spare body parts. Spare suspension. Spare wheels. Spare clutches. Spare shifting linkage. Spare ball joints. Space sway bars. Spare calipers. Spare everything.

This incident after watching the video is overly minor. Something like that will not affect a very reinforced frame braced for incidents just as this. The triangulation of the cages on these cars that support it are VERY overkill. After seeing the video the suspension more than likely needed refitting with control arms more than likely popped as well as sway bracings. Wheel was more than likely toasted. A ton of minor little things. Stuff like this is planned for and odds are that car is fully repaired or near it at this point. Very small repairs and a performer off for a couple days (guess work on the performer but knowing the industry that this show revolves arounds very will it fits.)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
No, health and safety will not get involved in an entertainment stunt show where no one was hurt. It is the nature of the business and the people working in it know that there is a risk involved. It's part of the job description. Without the risk there really are no thrills in a thrill show.

Understood risks would be disclosed in the contract agreement with the performers. Just as the risks of NASCAR are understood when teams sign the paperwork to race in NASCAR. Just as these guys are contracted by Disney to drive/perform here, the drivers and teams of NASCAR are contracted employees, as well.

Really, though, this is a rather minor ordeal.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
One more insert. The explosions in IJSS have a much greater risk factor than the explosions or motor vehicle stunts in LMA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom