Crash at Lights Motors Action today

sweetpee_1993

Millionaire was where TSMM currently is. MI door coaster was rumored to be in Soundstage 1, immediately next door.
That's right. My bad. Used to say "Hot Set" on the marquis. No clue if it still does. I know years back there was a bunch of Imagineers holed-up in there doing something for a while. That was around the time Monsters Inc Coaster was being talked about heavily around here.

Goofyernmost

I would guess health and safety will be having a good look around also.
No, health and safety will not get involved in an entertainment stunt show where no one was hurt. It is the nature of the business and the people working in it know that there is a risk involved. It's part of the job description. Without the risk there really are no thrills in a thrill show.

mousehockey37

In January '09 we saw the hero car land off the final jump wrong. It bounced violently front first then back. It lost control as it entered the tunnel under the stands. We'd seen the show several times before so we knew how the sequence should go, how the car performs, and how the show concludes. As soon as it happened safety people ran out to look in the tunnel & you could see their reactions. The show ended abruptly. Little to no calls for applause, etc. The crash happened then it was "Have a good day, folks!" We saw an ambulance pull up behind the stadium. They came running with the stretcher. They routed all the guests exiting out across the "stage" then thru gates behind the village sets. When we got to the ground level by the tunnel I turned and looked past the CMs trying to keep people from seeing. There were red striations on the tunnel wall and the car was resting partially upside down against the wall further in. You could see the rear of the car towards the back. All the other shows for the day were cancelled but they were up & running the next day. There was no news or any official reports. Only me. Lots of official-looking people with clip boards, etc. all in the area in the hours that passed. Again, I'd been in MGM/DHS enough to know something unusual had happened because I saw little things going on that were different. I did hear later that the driver was okay which was good to know.

I came here....I wasn't a big poster then....and reported it as soon as I could after it happened. Aaaaaand, got called a liar & told I made it up to get attention. Buncha DBs, I swear. Whatever. Do ya want news or not? Right? Since then I post in this section with my fisticuffs at the ready. It's a tough room but, hey, I'm a tough girl. ;)

Anywhooooo, accidents happen at that show and, NO, it's not going to make headline news. Glad to hear nobody was hurt with the latest mishap. Also glad there's good photos & evidence so others don't have to be accused of attention-seeking. ;)

**edit**
Here's a link to the 2009 thread.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lights-motors-action-accident-yesterday.400134/page-2

There's a photo in post #39 of the hero car landing nose-down. The front of the car hit, bounced up, then the back hit, and bounced. The car veered to the side as it entered the tunnel. I love the term "routine hit" by a couple of the posters in that thread. Um, what exactly is a routine hit? Is it routine when a car is not upright? :rolleyes:

It's a stunt show. These things happen. Granted, they don't happen all too often, but they do. You can see from the picture in the original post that the roll cage and everything is intact. These cars are designed to break apart at any kind of impact. Just like INDY cars do.

I grew up going to the dirt tracks every weekend and a NASCAR fan. I've seen crashes and accidents well worse than something like this.

The guys in these cars more than likely have 5 point harness systems, possibly HANS devices (keeps your neck from whiplash in an accident), sophisticated roll cages and everything else. Also, most of what you see is just fiberglass anyway. They'll have the mechanics check the car out, put a new body on it and it'll be ready to roll in the near future.

Just because there is an accident doesn't mean the show needs to be closed down and gotten rid of. It's a stunt show, there's the implication that things are dangerous, therefore stunts!!! People like thrills. No one wants to see an accident, but they happen.

sweetpee_1993

It's a stunt show. These things happen. Granted, they don't happen all too often, but they do. You can see from the picture in the original post that the roll cage and everything is intact. These cars are designed to break apart at any kind of impact. Just like INDY cars do.

I grew up going to the dirt tracks every weekend and a NASCAR fan. I've seen crashes and accidents well worse than something like this.

The guys in these cars more than likely have 5 point harness systems, possibly HANS devices (keeps your neck from whiplash in an accident), sophisticated roll cages and everything else. Also, most of what you see is just fiberglass anyway. They'll have the mechanics check the car out, put a new body on it and it'll be ready to roll in the near future.

Just because there is an accident doesn't mean the show needs to be closed down and gotten rid of. It's a stunt show, there's the implication that things are dangerous, therefore stunts!!! People like thrills. No one wants to see an accident, but they happen.

Definitely agree. That's why I said I thought the show would be back up & running by tomorrow. No problem. These aren't your ordinary cars. Their cages with shiny shells, a motor, and tires. :)

Yep, my great uncle used to run dirt track way back in the early days as well as a few of my uncles in the 60s. I used to go to the dirt track in Flomaton, AL when I was little. My grandfather also did photography on the infield in Pensacola's Five Flags Speedway. Definitely been around the small town tracks. When I was a wee thing I hated it, actually. I'd beg not to go and cry non-stop if I did. I was terrified by loud noises. Each time the cars passed it was like giant beasts coming to kill me. It was awful. LOL!

I was more worried about compression type injury during that 09 accident. He slammed the ground hard and bounced violently. No clue if they were using the HANS restraints. (I'm familiar with them.) if not that would've definitely been a huge issue.

I'm not one of those who think the show is so dangerous it should be eliminated immediately. If anything, I look at the cost to maintain the vehicles, produce the show, deal with mishaps, insurance, etc etc. Is that cost worth what the show does for the park or would something else be a better formula from a business standpoint. We kinda like cars around here so I actually like the show, personally. ;)

Rob562

IMO, the only reason they wouldn't open tomorrow would be if the truck ramp's damage was more than an overnight repair job. They have spare cars but probably not spare truck ramps. (And even if the ramp wasn't ready, I'm sure they have a contingency plan to run the show without it)

-Rob

GrumpyFan

Kinda looks like they have a crash kill switch /auto brake. The passenger mirror on the black car (on the ramp) and the grill on the other car coming out of the tunnel were blinking

I don't doubt that they have a kill switch, but I can't tell if that's a blinking light or just sunlight/reflections. It does appear though that everything was killed all at once though, because the music stopped and flames cut off too.

mikeh

I don't doubt that they have a kill switch, but I can't tell if that's a blinking light or just sunlight/reflections. It does appear though that everything was killed all at once though, because the music stopped and flames cut off too.

Definitely an emergency light in response to the "kill switch" command

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom