Craisins coming to Disney

trr1

Original Poster
found at another site

Craisins coming to Disney

Oct 21, 2010

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will be partnering with Ocean Spray Cranberries in their theme parks and cruise ships. Craisins Dried Cranberries will be offered at Disneyland, Walt Disney World and on Disney Cruise Line ships. Craisins will be sold in fruit cart stands and theme park kiosks, but will also be added to new signature salads and cranberry muffins.

Ocean Spray is also planning to launch Craisins packaging for the Disney locations that will feature Chip 'n Dale.

Kobe!!

We were asked a few months back what kind of drinks we would like to see at the parks...people gave their opinions and Disney came back w/ the suggestion of fruit drinks....looks like they are finally doing something..:shrug:

Mammymouse

I was just eating a handful of craisins when I logged on and found this post!! I love them. I eat them for a snack and on my salads too.

Rob562

This was actually mentioned on the news radio station here in Boston yesterday (seeing as how Massachusetts and New England make up such a large chunk of the cranberry industry).

The person they interviewed also said they'd be setting up "cranberry bogs"on Disney property as an educational tool about the process of growing and harvesting cranberries, as well as the benefits of cranberries. There wasn't much more info, but they said they were doing the same thing in Rockefeller Plaza in NYC, so I'm thinking it's just a temporary promotional thing for a kickoff announcement, or perhaps an exhibit in next year's Flower & Garden Festival...

-Rob

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This was actually mentioned on the news radio station here in Boston yesterday (seeing as how Massachusetts and New England make up such a large chunk of the cranberry industry).

The person they interviewed also said they'd be setting up "cranberry bogs"on Disney property as an educational tool about the process of growing and harvesting cranberries, as well as the benefits of cranberries. There wasn't much more info, but they said they were doing the same thing in Rockefeller Plaza in NYC, so I'm thinking it's just a temporary promotional thing for a kickoff announcement, or perhaps an exhibit in next year's Flower & Garden Festival...

-Rob

I didn't know that cranberries could grow in saltwater!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I didn't know that cranberries could grow in saltwater!

Ocean Spray actually had a "Cranberry World" set up in Plymouth, MA. It closed in 2008, but apparently the bogs around there (and throughout New England) are good for growing cranberries. I had no idea myself....:shrug:

I'd love to see them as an option in the kids meals, it would be nice to have another choice for a side - by the end of the week the kids start getting a little bored of grapes!

Phonedave

Ocean Spray actually had a "Cranberry World" set up in Plymouth, MA. It closed in 2008, but apparently the bogs around there (and throughout New England) are good for growing cranberries. I had no idea myself....:shrug:

They really don't need bogs to grow. Just damp soil. The bog facilitates the harvest.

That said, I guess craisins are a good thing to have, but they do have a boatload of sugar added to them.

-dave

Rob562

They really don't need bogs to grow. Just damp soil. The bog facilitates the harvest.

That said, I guess craisins are a good thing to have, but they do have a boatload of sugar added to them.

-dave

Exactly. People see the commercials on TV (Ocean Spray?) of two guys standing in waders in the middle of a flooded cranberry bog, and assume that's how cranberries grow.

The truth is that cranberries grow on low-to-the-ground bushes like many berries do. But over the centuries they've realized that cranberries float in water, and the easiest way to harvest them is to flood the cranberry bogs at harvest time, run machinery through the bog to shake/separate the berries from the bushes, and then corral the now-floating berries in the water.

Out of harvest season, if you drove past a cranberry bog you probably wouldn't realize it, as it's just a low, flat field full of scrub bushes planted in rows.

I believe rice is grown and harvested in a similar method in rice paddies.

EDIT:
I looked it up, and apparently half of all U.S. produced cranberries are from Wisconsin, with Massachusetts making up 28% of U.S. production.

-Rob

marypoppins68

-Rob

I read that the cranberry bogs would be part of next year's Food & Wine Festival. which is nice because this year there aren't that many outside vendors, compared to years past. No peanuts, no honey, no pears, no Cabot cheese. A lot of the companies that have been there before weren't there this year.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

-dave

*In my best Homer Simpson voice*

MMMmmmmmm sugar

----

Just what every 5-10 year old needs at Disney!

tiaragirl

Is it just me, or is there a lot of hype over... crasins? What have TDO decisions come to if this is the most exciting thing we can discuss :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Found some more on the F&W Festival for next year:

Epcot to adopt a cranberry bog during 2011 Food & Wine Festival

Next year, the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival will see something it's never seen before: A cranberry bog.

Cranberries are tangy little red fruits. They grow in shrubs in wet, marshy places called "bogs," and thanks to a new sponsorship deal with juice company Ocean Spray, Epcot will be the home of its own marshy bog next fall.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has struck a deal with Ocean Spray, the Massachusetts based cranberry-growing cooperative, to bring the Ocean Spray cranberry to Disney parks and cruise ships, including the Disneyland Resort, Disney World Resort, and Disney Cruise Line. Disney will offer Craisins Dried Cranberries in new salads and cranberry muffins, and will sell them at fruit cart stands and kiosks inside the theme parks. There will be special Chip ‘n Dale packaging for products sold on Disney properties.

In addition to building a cranberry bog display next fall in Epcot, Ocean Spray will also set up a cranberry bog in the West Coast next spring for Disney’s California Food & Wine Festival, held April 29 to June 12, 2011.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9422/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

DecWDW

You know...this isn't earth shattering news, but I love me some craisins! And oddly enough, I'll be looking forward to seeing the bogs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom