Craisins coming to Disney

AlishaMisha

My Baking Science professor "invented" craisins along with other cool stuff we use today like frosting in a can. Wild lady, but I love her :lol:

Mickey is King

I didn't know that cranberries could grow in saltwater!

you didn't really thin they grew in saltwater did you?:eek:

I live in Maine and go to MA often, and I can tell you one thing, we do have an enormous coastline off of the Atlantic, but we are not covered in saltwater, plenty of open land up here.

Fable McCloud

Healthy snack options that are a nice change, I approve. Also, there's a cranberry bog near my aunt's house and cranberries are yummy!!

AlishaMisha

I live in Maine and go to MA often as well(my bf's from the past 5 years have lived there) so I can explain it.

Cranberries grow out of the water, where water use to be before they created a mini dam. The soil is nice and moist because of the close proximity. Anyways, when the cranberries are ready to be harvested they open up that mini dam and flood out the bog. Because of the anatomy of the cranberry, they have large air pockets in them which makes all of the cranberries rise to the surface after being agitated off of their plants by machinery.

And now you know where your dam cranberries come from :lookaroun :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
you didn't really thin they grew in saltwater did you?:eek:
Nah...I guess I should have said sulfur flavored water!:lol:
I live in Maine and go to MA often as well(my bf's from the past 5 years have lived there) so I can explain it.

Cranberries grow out of the water, where water use to be before they created a mini dam. The soil is nice and moist because of the close proximity. Anyways, when the cranberries are ready to be harvested they open up that mini dam and flood out the bog. Because of the anatomy of the cranberry, they have large air pockets in them which makes all of the cranberries rise to the surface after being agitated off of their plants by machinery.

Thanks for the dam information. :lookaroun:lol:

Wow, this the best thing that could ever happen at Disney or anyplace else in the world? :ROFLOL: Craisins coming to Disney, are you kidding me? What are we going to talk about next? I'm sure there must be many other pointless things that we can spend our time on. :hammer:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wow, this the best thing that could ever happen at Disney or anyplace else in the world? :ROFLOL: Craisins coming to Disney, are you kidding me? What are we going to talk about next? I'm sure there must be many other pointless things that we can spend our time on. :hammer:

You are evidently new here. We can (and do) talk about any and all minutia. :lol:

Welcome. You can find out about any and everything at WDW here, even the stuff you didn't think you wanted to know!

Mickey is King

Maine- the way like should be........yeah right.

Fable McCloud

I'm excited for a great snack option, and I think it will be a nice way to work something different. Many people enjoy raisins, but few have had craisins. Also, having Ocean Spray as a sponsor means more investments, which means more money in the long run, which could lead to more fun expansions!:king:

AlishaMisha

Maine- the way like should be........yeah right.
No kidding. I am in the Midcoast and it takes me an hour to get to the Maine Mall. And even then it isn't that great of a mall. No businesses in my town. Not even a traffic light. And that is how life should be? pft. Luckily I spend more time in MA, CT, RI, and FL. Speaking of which, headed off to CT now.

Back on topic - I hope they carry the Orange Craisins. :slurp:

trr1

Original Poster
They really don't need bogs to grow. Just damp soil. The bog facilitates the harvest.

That said, I guess craisins are a good thing to have, but they do have a boatload of sugar added to them.

-dave
Ocean Spray - Craisins-Dried CranberriesServings: 1/3 cup
Calories 130 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 33 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 26 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron

I will have to ask my father-in-law if he's going to be doing the "coloring" for the packaging. His firm does all the packaging for Ocean Spray (ever walk around with a packaging guy? We can't get out of a store without him inspecting his companies work somewhere in there). This doesn't surprise me since Disney has their characters on everything from orange juice (which is surprisingly good) and animal crackers to dried fruit in the stores, why not in the parks too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom