http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/recipeReviews.aspx?id=2095&nid=9
INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 6-ounce package Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries, chopped*

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the flour, a little at a time, until combined. Stir in dried cranberries.

Cookies can be made into balls or flattened. To make round cookies, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 dozen at a time on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Remove from sheets; cool slightly and dust with additional powdered sugar.

To make flat cookies, form dough into 1-inch balls as directed above. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar, flatten balls on cookie sheet, making rounds 2-inches in diameter. Bake 12 to 14 minutes. Cool.

Makes 6 dozen cookies.

* For orange-flavored cookies, use Craisins® Orange Flavor Dried Cranberries and 2 teaspoons grated orange peel.
or
CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO CHEESECAKE WITH CRANBERRY TOPPING (sound yummy:slurp:)
http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/recipeReviews.aspx?id=196&nid=9
INGREDIENTS:

CRUST
1 9-ounce package chocolate wafer cookies, finely crushed
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

FILLING
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules
1 tablespoon hot water
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup whipping cream
4 eggs

TOPPING
1 14-ounce can Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coarsely grated semi-sweet chocolate

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

TO MAKE CRUST: Combine cookie crumbs and butter in a medium mixing bowl. Place mixture in a 9-inch springform pan. Press crumbs on bottom and 2 inches up sides of pan. Set aside.

TO MAKE FILLING: Dissolve espresso powder in hot water; set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and flour together in a large mixing bowl until well blended and smooth. Add the espresso, cinnamon and whipping cream; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined; scrape bowl occasionally. Pour into crust.

Bake 1 hour or until the top appears set. Cool 1 hour at room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.

TO MAKE TOPPING: Combine cranberry sauce and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Using an electric mixer, beat whipping cream in a medium mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top of cheesecake. Spoon cranberry sauce mixture over whipped cream, spreading to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle chocolate on whipped cream border. Makes 1 cheesecake (12 servings).

Phonedave

Ocean Spray - Craisins-Dried CranberriesServings: 1/3 cup
Calories 130 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 33 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 26 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron

OK, a cup of fresh cranberries has 3.84 grams of sugar in it - naturally. I have no idea how much cranberries shrink when you dry them, but lets say you need 3 cups to make 1/3 cup (1 serving of Craisins) that would mean that you have roughly 12 grams of naturally occurring sugar in them. That means the other 26 - 12 = 14 grams of sugar is added (via soaking the berries in corn syrup before they dry them) That comes out to the same as adding FOUR packet of sugar to each 1/3 cup serving.

They are good, they have a whole bunch of good properties, and they are fruit - but they are far from a super healthy or low sugar snack.

-dave

trr1

Original Poster
OK, a cup of fresh cranberries has 3.84 grams of sugar in it - naturally. I have no idea how much cranberries shrink when you dry them, but lets say you need 3 cups to make 1/3 cup (1 serving of Craisins) that would mean that you have roughly 12 grams of naturally occurring sugar in them. That means the other 26 - 12 = 14 grams of sugar is added (via soaking the berries in corn syrup before they dry them) That comes out to the same as adding FOUR packet of sugar to each 1/3 cup serving.

They are good, they have a whole bunch of good properties, and they are fruit - but they are far from a super healthy or low sugar snack.

-dave
I think this is for the berry itself
MSP853019d15i2c707ag17g00006ai1e586061fh3e4

http://www.bing.com/nutrition/searc...ts&FORM=DTPNUA&qpvt=cranberry+nutrition+facts

You are evidently new here. We can (and do) talk about any and all minutia. :lol:

Welcome. You can find out about any and everything at WDW here, even the stuff you didn't think you wanted to know!

I am "new" to posting. Been around the site for a while, taking advantage of the useful and laughing at the useless. I'm just now trying to get in to the mindset of this new age of communicating everything that comes to mind. I was just being facetious in my comment.:eek: Usually I just bypass the stuff that is not important to me but thought I'd try a little levity.
FYI.... I love craisins. Discovered them last christmas at a party and brought them home and presented to my family as though I had discovered the cure for polio. We are all hooked. Recently discovered my wife hiding in a dark room consuming large quantities of them.:slurp: May need an intervention.

Mickey is King

No kidding. I am in the Midcoast and it takes me an hour to get to the Maine Mall. And even then it isn't that great of a mall. No businesses in my town. Not even a traffic light. And that is how life should be? pft. Luckily I spend more time in MA, CT, RI, and FL. Speaking of which, headed off to CT now.

Back on topic - I hope they carry the Orange Craisins. :slurp:

Midcoast here too! "it's a small world"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom