Craft Project! Ear-alteration!

fossilizedtrees

I was just thinking the same thing!

When we went on our first trip to Diseny my mom made each kid a special hat. Mine was bright pink with Mickey ears and a big Bow. I still have it today.
Everyone kept asking my mom where she got it from.

How cool would it be to make custom ears for a kids first visit to Disney World?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do this for my kids!

-On a side note, do they still make the Bride hats like this? If not, just make your own!

imamouse

I was just thinking the same thing!

When we went on our first trip to Diseny my mom made each kid a special hat. Mine was bright pink with Mickey ears and a big Bow. I still have it today.
Everyone kept asking my mom where she got it from.

How cool would it be to make custom ears for a kids first visit to Disney World?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do this for my kids!

-On a side note, do they still make the Bride hats like this? If not, just make your own!

That was so great of your mom to custom make ears for you. I'd love to see a picture. Do you mind posting one here?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Alright, so here it is with the pattern work.

I tried to use the copy paper stuff - it was a total failure. I ended up using a template and free handing most of it.

With flash..

dreamhat007.jpg

and without the flash..

dreamhat008.jpg

If it was any easier to do, i would have gone with a smaller version of the tiangle pattern, but it's just hard to do and already a little cluttered as it is.

Now for the icon in the front... hmm.. what to do?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, i finished.

I managed to accidentally glue a washcloth to itself while using the iron-transfer glue stuff. That stuff needs better directions.

I'm kinda happy with it.. I got the logo patch a little crooked and I got some overspray on the ears that needs touching up from the spray varnish i used to seal everything so it wont bleed, but those mistakes aside I think it looks quite nice.

Particularly for a first attempt.

dreamhat009.jpg

And further back, minus the flash.

dreamhat0091.jpg

Whatcha think?

Figment82

That's fantastic! You know, for a while I've been thinking in the back of my mind how fun it would be to make SSE Mickey Mouse ears, or how Disney was missing a huge marketing opportunity. Now that you've shown that it can be done, I'm seriously thinking about finding some cheap Mouse ears and trying myself. If you ended up spraying everything silver, I'm guessing the original color of the hat wouldn't matter much...

Hmm...

wickedfan07

Wow...I just got new ears two weeks ago, but I got the generic black ones. (Bought them in MouseGear no less.) If they were selling ears like yours, I would have bought them. Nice job, Merf!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here are a couple of ideas to plus your design a little which I think is great by the way.

Your outline of the tiles will need to be a little finer and darker. You will also need to add a little depth to the tiles and you can do this by using darker and lighter shaded of silver on the tile to simulate shadows. Grab any daytime picture of SSE and you will see what I am talking about. The easiest way to paint the individual tiles will be to cut out a stencil pattern and air-brush it. You can get a cheep air brush from the plastic model section of Wal-Mart or any hobby store or you can throw down a couple of hundred on a really good one. I would also add the pavilion symbols to the ears which can be done using a decal kit. You also might be able to make things easier on yourself by removing the ears and reattaching them after you finish.

jjgoo

Great job!!! I am impressed with your creativity. Makes me think that specialized ears may be the perfect thing to do for an easy to wear/pack costume for MNNSHP!

Thanks for sharing!:sohappy:

skellington216

Very nifty. I have some ideas for custom ears, but no ears to work with. I will have to buy some extras on the next trip. All the ears I have (which is MANY) are personalized and are trip specifiic souveniers that I could not part with. Has anyone personalized their My Pal Mickey yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom