Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

correcaminos

Too much to quote. I tend to take the impending doom with a grain of salt now. Everything is so dramatized and let's be real people are emotionally spent and not always level headed. Cases are going up in some cases. Others leveling, others decreasing. Do I think we'll bobble for a few months? Yes. Will it be long term, not likely based on Israel.

Parker in NYC

Too much to quote. I tend to take the impending doom with a grain of salt now. Everything is so dramatized and let's be real people are emotionally spent and not always level headed. Cases are going up in some cases. Others leveling, others decreasing. Do I think we'll bobble for a few months? Yes. Will it be long term, not likely based on Israel.
Folks here were emotionally spent two weeks after Disney closed. Nothing's going to change their minds.

ToTBellHop

Did you bother to check the stats before making that assertion?

View attachment 543410

View attachment 543411

This is why cases are on the rise in the whole U.S. It's *still* everywhere.
Yes, it is, but that nyt analysis can be misleading. For example, if you look at AK, is it high (compared to where it has been)? No. Is it technically rising? I’m sure, but it isn’t dramatic.

They aren’t even saying “impending doom” in Europe where the schnitzel is actually hitting the fan. They’re saying “it is going to be much better by summer.” Because people don‘t need more negativity. If you are a reader of nyt, and it seems you are, surely you also saw last week’s story about how the mainstream media in America has substantially more negative COVID-19 news coverage than local news or any international news and how that is damaging.

3F3765AD-3AD5-4D2E-89F5-F104C6AA1FFD.jpeg

bdearl41

Yes, it is, but that nyt analysis can be misleading. For example, if you look at AK, is it high (compared to where it has been)? No. Is it technically rising? I’m sure, but it isn’t dramatic.

They aren’t even saying “impending doom” in Europe where the schnitzel is actually hitting the fan. They’re saying “it is going to be much better by summer.” Because people don‘t need more negativity. If you are a reader of nyt, and it seems you are, surely you also saw last week’s story about how the mainstream media in America has substantially more negative COVID-19 news coverage than local news or any international news and how that is damaging.

View attachment 543415
I read this article a few days ago. I think everyone on this thread should read it. Great post

Shouldigo12

Were her words dramatic? Probably. But all I know is, we were would to clean up our act in spring, summer, and fall or risk a surge in cases. We didn't, and the cases surged. So if the experts are telling me we need to stay strict with restrictions or risk a fourth wave before we can finish vaccinations, I think that's worth listening to. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, just something to keep an eye on.

ToTBellHop

Were her words dramatic? Probably. But all I know is, we were would to clean up our act in spring, summer, and fall or risk a surge in cases. We didn't, and the cases surged. So if the experts are telling me we need to stay strict with restrictions or risk a fourth wave before we can finish vaccinations, I think that's worth listening to. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, just something to keep an eye on.
They’re not all saying that.

ToTBellHop

Which is why I'm saying it's not a sure thing, just worth listening to.
Sure.

My overall struggle is I fear the “get a vaccine” message has been muddied by inconsistent positions. When you have Fauci saying kids could go to summer camp and then the CDC director saying “IMPENDING DOOM!” a couple days later, what is a person without scientific background to think?

The message should be simple and optimistic.

bdearl41

They’re not all saying that.

So given my profession, CNBC is one of my default resources for news. A) they don’t have real political bias B) if you want the real news follow the money and C) it’s actually fairly uplifting. That being said Gottlieb has far and away been the most accurate doctor/expert on TV. He was saying by April anyone who wants a shot can have one and by May we will have a surplus. He was saying this back in December. I would trust him over Wrawenski, Fauci or any others any day. His track record is so much more accurate. He said last spring worst case scenario we would be looking at between 500-600k deaths when others were calling for 4 million. He also said last September the big wave was coming and was inevitable. Both have proven to be accurate.

ToTBellHop

So given my profession, CNBC is one of my default resources for news. A) they don’t have real political bias B) if you want the real news follow the money and C) it’s actually fairly uplifting. That being said Gottlieb has far and away been the most accurate doctor/expert on TV. He was saying by April anyone who wants a shot can have one and by May we will have a surplus. He was saying this back in December. I would trust him over Wrawenski, Fauci or any others any day. His track record is so much more accurate. He said last spring worst case scenario we would be looking at between 500-600k deaths when others were calling for 4 million. He also said last September the big wave was coming and was inevitable. Both have proven to be accurate.
Yeah, and he was generally viewed as a good FDA Commissioner.

havoc315

“Impending doom” is outrageous. Even blue state Governors are suggesting this is almost over.

"Impending doom" was hyperbole that will likely only serve to undermine credibility.

But "serious concern" is not inappropriate. We will eventually get ahead of this thing with vaccines but it appears quite possible that we still have 1 more surge, which could have been avoided. The surge peak likely won't be as bad as the December surge, and it might not be nationwide. Our current path of vaccinations should certainly prevent "doom."
But we may be heading for a few weeks of things looking bad again.

havoc315

Gottlieb has been a very calm, consistent and measured voice.
His current message seems to be, "don't panic... things look like they will work out... but the newer variants are concerning, with some unknowns"

Shouldigo12

Sure.

My overall struggle is I fear the “get a vaccine” message has been muddied by inconsistent positions. When you have Fauci saying kids could go to summer camp and then the CDC director saying “IMPENDING DOOM!” a couple days later, what is a person without scientific background to think?

The message should be simple and optimistic.
I can get understand. We're all just mentally done. I'm probably an extremist when it comes to things like restrictions and staying home, and *I'm* done. Sometimes I think of what a normal day used to look like for me and it just makes me depressed to realize it's been over a year since I've been able to do what used to be everyday things. So I understand the need for some optimism, and agree that at the very least we need some food news mixed in with the good.

I'm also regretting choosing the CDC director to quote haha. I only picked her because she was quoted in the last article about a surge I read. I wish I had picked a person whose statement was a little less dramatic.

CLEtoWDW

😂😂😂😂Impending Doom. And here I thought the media funneled all the hyperbole. What Dr. Drama should have focused on was the fact that the vaccines are 90% effective against COVID and nearly 100% effective against serious disease. People need to get shots in their arms so give them an incentive to do so! A near 100% chance of not dying from COVID is plenty of incentive for me.

ToTBellHop

😂😂😂😂Impending Doom. And here I thought the media funneled all the hyperbole. What Dr. Drama should have focused on was the fact that the vaccines are 90% effective against COVID and nearly 100% effective against serious disease. People need to get shots in their arms so give them an incentive to do so! A near 100% chance of not dying from COVID is plenty of incentive for me.
She had a nightmare last night.

1617060327895.gif

Lilofan

Florida news is reporting that more than 800K people that are undocumented and living and working in Florida. It will be interesting to see if these folks can go to a vaccine center and get the covid shots. FL requires proof of residency to get the shot and some don't have documentation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom