Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like negotiations with Pfizer aren’t going as well as hoped. The US government has asked to exercise their option for an addition 100M doses but Pfizer says they can guarantee those doses in Q3 but the government wants them in Q2. They are still working on a solution but so far nothing firm to report. That option would put the US up to 400M doses of approved vaccine by June assuming Moderna gets approved later this week. Without the extra Pfizer doses in Q2 the US will need one of the other vaccines to come through to reach the goal of every adult who wants a vaccine vaccinated by the end of June. If the percent who want a vaccine goes up they may need a third vaccine anyway even with an extra 100M from Pfizer.

correcaminos

You still have to cover that 5% left over from the 95% effective vaccine you already got;)
Yes so true! Seriously the guy sounded so disappointed when I told him I was already in a trial. I think they need people but since other trials were here first it's harder to get people.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Here’s your ingredient list. Nothing too surprising but avoid it if you’re allergic to any component. The salts and sugar shouldn’t impact anyone (your body already has all of them), so it’s the fats. Most are already found in humans except for polyethylene glycol (PEG), which some are allergic to. It’s commonly found in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals (e.g. laxatives), and some foods. It’s in a rather low dose here, however.

Active Ingredient
30 mcg of a nucleosidemodified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike (S) glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2.

Fats
lipids (0.43 mg (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 0.05 mg 2[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 0.09 mg 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and 0.2 mg cholesterol)

Salts
0.01 mg potassium chloride
0.01 mg monobasic potassium phosphate
0.36 mg sodium chloride
0.07 mg dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate

Sugar
6 mg sucrose
So I haven't done extensive research but those in the know, what are the risks of the nucleosidemodified messenger RNA? It appears to be relatively new in vaccines.

Heppenheimer

So I haven't done extensive research but those in the know, what are the risks of the nucleosidemodified messenger RNA? It appears to be relatively new in vaccines.
I'm struggling to think of a theoretical risk. mRNA molecules essentially get used once to transcribe their target protein, then the cell rapidly degrades it and recycles the components. The spike protein transcribed from the mRNA code could conceivably cause an allergic reaction, but that same risk is there with any protein that ends up in our body.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm struggling to think of a theoretical risk. mRNA molecules essentially get used once to transcribe their target protein, then the cell rapidly degrades it and recycles the components. The spike protein transcribed from the mRNA code could conceivably cause an allergic reaction, but that same risk is there with any protein that ends up in our body.
I just did some armchair researching and found this to be a great layman's article on the vaccines and technology being used.

The only risks I could find were the malignant growth could occur if the RNA targets the incorrect cells but that isn't something I can find from a medical journal so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Heppenheimer

I just did some armchair researching and found this to be a great layman's article on the vaccines and technology being used.

The only risks I could find were the malignant growth could occur if the RNA targets the incorrect cells but that isn't something I can find from a medical journal so I'll take it with a grain of salt.
I don't see how a bioengineered mRNA could accidentally trigger malignant growth unless the transcribed protein was specifically designed to do that. That's kind of like someone following the instructions on how to build a radio, getting it wrong, and somehow building a TV by accident. More than likely if they get it wrong, they'll just build a defective radio.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don't see how a bioengineered mRNA could accidentally trigger malignant growth unless the transcribed protein was specifically designed to do that. That's kind of like someone following the instructions on how to build a radio, getting it wrong, and somehow building a TV by accident. More than likely if they get it wrong, they'll just build a defective radio.
Oh ok, good to know. This stuff is really over my head to be honest. It's actually quite interesting but just trying to understand some of the risks. I most likely won't be able to get the vaccine by the summer anyway but just trying to do some due diligence. 👍

ToTBellHop

And in any case, it likely wouldn’t matter. The cells that make this new protein are killed to initiate the immune response. If they made the wrong protein somehow, they’d still be killed. The vaccine just wouldn’t work since you’d make the wrong antibodies.

Somehow making the spike protein incorrectly wouldn’t result in loss of cell cycle control to cause cancer.

correcaminos

I don't recall where it was asked so I am just offering this. BioNTech and Pfizer will be moving placebo over to vaccine if the participant wishes. Only those in medical fields or in assisted living/care facilties are able. As more groups are added, we can find out our status and make the choice. Otherwise I wait until March to discuss my vaccine status.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s official...Moderna vaccine recommended for approval by advisory committee. FDA and CDC approval are both expected in the next few days with the first shots as early as Monday.

thomas998

With Ticketmaster exploring a plan to allow concert and sports venues to require a vaccination or negative Covid test to attend an event, what do people think about WDW possibly doing something similar once a vaccine is widely available? If WDW could remove their Covid restrictions sooner by asking guests to either show proof of a vaccine or a negative Covid test would you go?

I think you can expect this type of thing to be a bad idea long-term. 1) the vaccine isn't 100% effective so even if everyone that showed up had been vaccinated a large group of people standing elbow to elbow is going to be spreading the virus. 2) people will fake the system, some will do it because they don't trust the vaccine and others will do it because they can't get access to the vaccine while others will not be allowed to take the vaccine because they are too young or have a history of allergic reactions to vaccines... those people will not just keep themselves in a perpetual lock down so either exception will have to be made for them or they will just get fake vaccination papers.

Now regardless of why some people will be there without the vaccine the fact that everyone will have their guard down because they assume everyone is vaccinated, the end result will be more spreading of the virus. And this doesn't even consider the fact that the virus is constantly mutating and they have no clue as to which strains the vaccine does and doesn't work against.

thomas998

It will for a little while, but once the R naught drops below one, meaning each infected person infects less than 1 other person your case count drops low enough that eventually it nears zero. For the unvaccinated population and the unlucky 10% that get a vaccine that doesn’t work there will likely be future outbreaks (especially with borders opening) but it won’t turn into uncontrolled community spread.
Given that as far as I know none of the vaccines are approved for those under 16 we will have a perpetual spread of the virus from the kids and in a place like Disney that is targeting kids the problem become even worse. A vaccine might eliminate the problem in nursing homes where kids are a rarity but in a place like schools or amusement parks not having vaccines for the kids is going to present a problem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Given that as far as I know none of the vaccines are approved for those under 16 we will have a perpetual spread of the virus from the kids and in a place like Disney that is targeting kids the problem become even worse. A vaccine might eliminate the problem in nursing homes where kids are a rarity but in a place like schools or amusement parks not having vaccines for the kids is going to present a problem.
This concept was being considered for after the vaccine is widely available not immediately. It’s being widely talked about that the goal is to have kids vaccinated before the start of the next school year. I would not be surprised to see schools require the vaccine in the fall.
I think you can expect this type of thing to be a bad idea long-term. 1) the vaccine isn't 100% effective so even if everyone that showed up had been vaccinated a large group of people standing elbow to elbow is going to be spreading the virus. 2) people will fake the system, some will do it because they don't trust the vaccine and others will do it because they can't get access to the vaccine while others will not be allowed to take the vaccine because they are too young or have a history of allergic reactions to vaccines... those people will not just keep themselves in a perpetual lock down so either exception will have to be made for them or they will just get fake vaccination papers.

Now regardless of why some people will be there without the vaccine the fact that everyone will have their guard down because they assume everyone is vaccinated, the end result will be more spreading of the virus. And this doesn't even consider the fact that the virus is constantly mutating and they have no clue as to which strains the vaccine does and doesn't work against.
Again, not an issue if they do it after the vaccine is readily available. Nobody has to get a vaccine they don’t want they still have the choice. Nobody has to go on a cruise or to a concert or to WDW. There’s not a discussion around makimg people show proof of vaccination to come out of their house so not a “lockdown”. In the Ticketmaster example they are saying either proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test so there is an alternative and I’m sure if it’s for true medical reasons exceptions could be made.

I don‘t know if Disney will consider something like this, possibly only in the worse case scenario if the vaccine roll out is not as successful as hoped and the covid restrictions need to stay in place through 2021. At what point does it make better business sense for Disney to require a vaccine? DCL is much more likely to require it than WDW. It all depends on the situation with the pandemic and how long it takes to bring cases down.

There has been no evidence of a mutation that has made any of the vaccines ineffective. Not saying it can’t happen, but right now that’s not the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom