Couple leaves children alone in hotel...

jhastings74

Original Poster
Courtesy of Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bk-foster-kids-alone-disney-072009,0,7765551.story?track=rss

A Michigan couple left their foster children, ages 2 and 4, alone in their Walt Disney World hotel room for two hours while they swam and tanned at the resort's pool Friday, deputies said.

Stephen Simmons, 49; and Kimberly Simmons, 41, were booked into the Orange County Jail on charges of child neglect. Each suspect paid a $2,000 bond Saturday and were released from jail.

Orange County sheriff's deputies said Kimberly Simmons, a counselor at a Michigan school, told them she has left the boy and girl unsupervised in the past. Deputies said neither foster parent seemed bothered by leaving the children alone.

Officials at the Department of Children and Families, who have custody of the children, said leaving a child unsupervised is a serious safety risk.

"In an environment like a home, a parent is expected to take a nap or shower, but they are still responsible for ensuring the child can't hurt themselves," DCF spokeswoman Carrie Hoeppner said. "In this situation and with a time delay of two hours, these children could have gotten out of the room or walked out of the hotel."

Hoeppner said family services officials from Michigan will be in Florida today to take custody of the boy and girl. Reports show the couple has been in custody of the children for at least 23 months.

Sheriff's reports show the housekeeping staff at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort entered the couple's room at 2:20 p.m. They found the 2-year-old girl wearing a diaper and the 4-year-old boy in his underwear.

The cleaning staff waited in the room for about five minutes for the parents to return. Hotel security then contacted the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said Disney's security staff searched the resort for nearly two hours and called the telephone number listed on the couple's registration form. Their calls were not returned. Security staff located the couple at the pool at 4:15 p.m. The couple was asked to return to their room.

When questioned by investigators, Kimberly Simmons told them she had taken her six-year-old nephew swimming and was "aware the two children were alone in her hotel room," the arrest report shows. Her husband "seemed OK with this arrangement."

Kimberly Simmons told deputies she is an out-of-state counselor. Deputies asked her if "leaving two small children in a hotel room alone for hours was reasonable in Michigan," according to the report.

She responded that she was aware of what she had done and knew how to "take care of children."

Both were arrested and booked at the Orange County Jail.

Disney staff also issued the couple a letter alerting them that they were not welcome on the property and were asked to leave.
Copyright © 2009, Orlando Sentinel

EnchantedRose

Wow! I am at a loss of words!! I have a 21 month old, and I don't even like leaving him in his bedroom by himself when I'm in the kitchen, let alone leave him in a room for two hours by himself!! & then to have the nerve to say you KNOW how to take care of children!! OMG! I really hope that those 2 kids are taken from such irresponsible people and given to a family that actually know how to take care of them!

jhastings74

Original Poster
I say three cheers for Disney Housekeeping and Security. :sohappy: And the extra touch of not letting them on property any more...very nice!

NewfieFan

My kids are three and five and I don't like getting in the shower for ten minutes... and when I do I don't turn on the fan so I can hear everything that is going on outside the door!!!

Wow! I'm at a loss for words... how can they think this is ok!?! :eek:

CBOMB

I tip mon chapeau to WDW for taking the appropriate action. Especially asking these total idiots to leave the property.

EpcotServo

"Ironically, the children are now being held unsupervised in the Orange County jail. In a moment...the results of that trial."

Lee

Adventurer
Stupid parents.
Two thoughts for them:
1 - Thats' what kennels are for.
2 - Bathroom. Stick 'em in there. They probably couldn't reach the to get out.

:lookaroun

PotteryGal

And the sad thing is there are couples in this country that desperately want children and can't conceive, yet these two are given the privilege of raising these children, and this is how they act. :brick::brick:

Vernonpush

Stupid parents.
Two thoughts for them:

Stupid parents.
Three thoughts for them:
3 - Use the "Do not disturb" sign.

:lol:

EpcoTim

Stupid parents.
Two thoughts for them:

Covering the area in front of the door with Tacks is also a good precautionary measure.

Vernonpush

Sadly, there might be some parent out there moronic enough to try this now.....:brick: Or worse: has already done it. :brick::brick:
I'm sure there's been couples who've put the little ones to bed, put out the "Do not disturb", then gone to the Lounge for a few cocktails.:hammer:

WDWmazprty

Reminds me of these guys:

parenting_fail-13310.jpg

parent-fail1.jpg

millionaire_idiot_fail-713308.jpg

Her parents failed at teaching her basic knowledge.

EpcoTim

Stupid parents.
Two thoughts for them:

Covering the area in front of the door with tacks is also good preventative maintenance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom