News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

doctornick

Honestly, I don't know. I don't have faith in modern Disney to pull it off. I have been to a show, where a Mom brought a 3-4 year old, mom seemed uncomfortable and then apologized to her that the show, "Wasn't what she thought it would be," at the same time the older adults were laughing their heads off, clapping along and smiling. Obviously, something has to change. I think they will end up with something that the Mom would feel more comfortable with taking her child to, and lose the impact on the older adults. After a few years, I think it will gain an even bigger reputation of being a "kiddie" attraction.
I don’t doubt your anecdote at all but it just seems so odd to me that anyone would really find CBJ to be uncomfortable in any way.

Edit: I guess my point is that it is so cheeky that it surprises me that people would actually take it seriously enough to be bothered. It’s a bunch of cartoon bears making silly jokes, not (say) a guidebook for actual child rearing.

Last edited:

Phineas

Fingers crossed they keep the iconic “Blood on the Saddle”, and remember that the cast are a little rough around the edges, and I can live with this.

It beats them being banished forever.

Edit: Having him drunkenly, laboriously sing “Let it Go” is also acceptable.

Last edited:

Brian

Why frame it in these terms? CBJ was on the chopping block regardless of the sociopolitical mood. Audiences stopped flocking to it years ago. Even in this forum, it gets surprisingly little love.
The social issues accelerated its demise. As another member pointed out, it was targeted as part of the "Stories Matter" initiative.

ETA: It could've stuck around longer but for the social issues component, much like how Carousel of Progress doesn't receive much love from most MK guests, and hasn't for some time now, but still flies under the radar.

PiratesMansion

Don't get me wrong. It's my favorite show. But I can easily see how 21st Century Disney doesn't feel like its a fit in MK....blood, ugly woman, fat joke, double entendres.
It's just frustrating to see that Disney, which used to be able to do (and mean) so many things besides "let's make sure every moment you're walking around our parks and resorts you're thinking about a Disney film", views itself and its fans so reductively. Disney used to mean whatever its designers wanted it to mean. Now it exclusively means 'the same animated movies you've seen or heard a hundred times, but also wouldn't you rather talk about Marvel or a Star War?' And so many seemingly welcome the company and themselves being seen in this way.
Tokyo hasn't even brought back the holiday or vacation overlay, probably due to being cheap. They're practically just as bad for not bringing back those overlays.
In fairness, those overlays don't have a patch on the original. Which is why I can't get side with people who are optimistic and think this might be good-if Imagineers in the eighties couldn't improve, let alone equal, the Marc Davis original show, I have no faith that 2020s Imagineers can.
The show is very much stuck in the 70s. At least Tiki Room for example they've updated over the years with new effects and animatronics.

Surprised people are upset over this. The country bears should sing country music which has changed a lot over the last 50 years.

Considering this was at one point going to be replaced by a Toy Story show this seems like a great outcome.
What new effects in the Tiki Room? I don't recall a single one. And I don't think it's fair to say that CBJ is too dated and of its era when the same criticism could be lodged at ETR. People don't exactly impersonate Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong in their daily life anymore either.

Personally, I have a lot of nostalgia for old country-it reminds me of my family and the music they listened to as I grew up. New country isn't to my taste. And it was appropriate that CBJ music was more on the country western, old fashioned spectrum-to better help it fit into Frontierland.

We deserve a better outcome than 'at least it isn't Toy Story' or 'PhilharMagic but with AAs and in a country twang'.

Brian

This little ditty is only 4 years old:

Our Imagineers are always looking at ways to bring more magic to our guests through experiences and stories they know, but contrary to rumors, Country Bear Jamboree is not going into hibernation any time soon.

I should point out that at the time of that article, it was still experiencing low attendance. What changed is that a target was placed on it when the 'Stories Matter' initiative began.

doctornick

It was on the same list as Splash, Jungle Cruise and a few others. With the big 2 out of the way, it was no surprise Bears are up
My biggest concern in this regard is The American Adventure. There’s nothing actually “problematic” with it but I feel there’s some sentiment that anything overly celebratory and positive about American history could be a target of those trying to update the parks

LittleBuford

Personally, I have a lot of nostalgia for old country-it reminds me of my family and the music they listened to as I grew up. New country isn't to my taste. And it was appropriate that CBJ music was more on the country western, old fashioned spectrum-to better help it fit into Frontierland.

We deserve a better outcome than 'at least it isn't Toy Story' or 'PhilharMagic but with AAs and in a country twang'.
On a personal level, I totally agree with you on the nostalgic appeal of the current songs. That the show feels like a relic of another era is a major part of why I love it (the same goes for the Tiki Room).

At the same time, I don't really see what better outcome we fans of CBJ could realistically have hoped for. In its current form, the show simply does not appeal to enough guests to be deemed popular. Tastes have changed, and those of us who still really love the show constitute a small minority. Disney had every incentive to scrap it entirely. I for one am very, very relieved they're taking a middle road.

IanDLBZF

At the same time, I don't really see what better outcome we fans of CBJ could realistically have hoped for. In its current form, the show simply does not appeal to enough guests to be deemed popular. Tastes have changed, and those of us who still really love the show constitute a small minority. Disney had every incentive to scrap it entirely. I for one am very, very relieved they're taking a middle road.
And giving everyone the "Happy Median."

Consumer

My biggest concern in this regard is The American Adventure. There’s nothing actually “problematic” with it but I feel there’s some sentiment that anything overly celebratory and positive about American history could be a target of those trying to update the parks
Yep, the Walt Disney Co. hates the United States. Remember when Main Street USA at Disneyland was going to be replaced by Mickey Ave?

LittleBuford

This little ditty is only 4 years old:

I should point out that at the time of that article, it was still experiencing low attendance. What changed is that a target was placed on it when the 'Stories Matter' initiative began.
But what's happening doesn't contradict the article's assurance that the bears are staying. They are!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom