Cosplaying at WDW

Bairstow

I've seen a couple attempts at Potter bounding--I'd argue there are entire shops in WWoHP dedicated to it

Not sure if that counts.
The Harry Potter world of the books and films suggests that there is a sizeable population of students and alumni of this school, all of whom dress more or less like normal modern (or 1990s) people.
If you're wearing a Ravenclaw rugby jersey and scarf with a pair of jeans, aren't you more cosplaying as a Potter-World version of yourself rather than "channeling" any particular character from the books?

I'm not saying any particular term is incorrect here, just pointing out that part of the genius of the Harry Potter world is that it's such a large place and so fully inter-meshed with the real world that it allows for people to actually feel like a part of it themselves rather than having to step into the shoes of a fictional persona.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It has to be... quick google searches show nothing

I googled Disney Bounding and got 33,100 results. How did your "searches" (multiple) yield nothing?

I think it's pretty weak if you ask me

I would have to respectfully disagree. Bounding requires a certain subtleness to achieve the desired effect and allows you to go unnoticed by an unaware observer. Cosplay is sort of just "in your face", look at me! (which is fine)

For the record, I do not participate in either and believe that people should keep them both in their proper place and time. A nice tailored suit is my idea of dressing up. ( i hope thats not weak)

ddbowdoin

I googled Disney Bounding and got 33,100 results. How did your "searches" (multiple) yield nothing?

I would have to respectfully disagree. Bounding requires a certain subtleness to achieve the desired effect and allows you to go unnoticed by an unaware observer. Cosplay is sort of just "in your face", look at me! (which is fine)

For the record, I do not participate in either and believe that people should keep them both in their proper place and time. A nice tailored suit is my idea of dressing up. ( i hope thats not weak)
When I searched "bounding" I came up with nothing, when I searched "cosplay vs bounding" nothing. When I searched Disney Bounding I found a bunch of images of people wearing green tee shirts and calling themselves Peter Pan.

Well agree to disagree. I see cosplay as in your face as well, but more of "look at the impressive result I produced with hours and hours of attention to detail". Just from what I've seen from "bounding" it's very unimpressive.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
When I searched "bounding" I came up with nothing, when I searched "cosplay vs bounding" nothing. When I searched Disney Bounding I found a bunch of images of people wearing green tee shirts and calling themselves Peter Pan.

Well agree to disagree. I see cosplay as in your face as well, but more of "look at the impressive result I produced with hours and hours of attention to detail". Just from what I've seen from "bounding" it's very unimpressive.

There are good cosplayers and bad cosplayers just like good Disney Bounders and Bad Disney Bounders

worst-iron-man-cosplay-1.jpg
288108-iron-man.jpg

Disney Bounding is supposed to invoke the character not be a costume

a828a4ae13bb8acc034852a2c94d9038.jpg

DisneyBounding-at-Its-Finest-039-550x827.jpg

71jason

Not sure if that counts.
The Harry Potter world of the books and films suggests that there is a sizeable population of students and alumni of this school, all of whom dress more or less like normal modern (or 1990s) people.
If you're wearing a Ravenclaw rugby jersey and scarf with a pair of jeans, aren't you more cosplaying as a Potter-World version of yourself rather than "channeling" any particular character from the books?

Yeah, I don't pretend to be an expert on the world of cosplay or Disney bounding, but maybe we need a new term for that. There was one Beetlejuice stalker who wore essentially a school girl outfit but threw in a Slytherin tie and wand--not a particular character, not really even a costume from the movie, but it feels like it's in the same neighborhood as cosplay/bounding.

Or maybe just call it Potter Bounding even if that's not a perfect fit and I don't feel like thinking about this anymore--my head hurts. ;)

MissAlmyra

I love that Disney accepts and embraced Disneybounding! It's a lot of fun and allows cosplayers and non-cosplayers alike to express their love of a specific character or theme. It's also a bit more comfortable than cosplaying all day at a theme park...

Obi

EOD K9

That's the way it is anywhere you work. Never do anything based on a verbal OK by someone, get it in writing to cover your backside, because if it is your word and the managers word who do you think they will believe.
That's kind of how we operate at work. Its not what you know, its what you can prove.

okcthunder

Different strokes for different folks I guess, doesn't seem to be beneficial to anyone and seems a bit odd in my opinion but hell maybe I'm a prude.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom