Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloMagic

A few tidbits I’ve heard through the grapevine... Although dangerous to post this because it’s literally a moving and unknown target, I’m hearing talk of opening between April 18th and the 25th? And I’m not sure if it’s a phased approach over that timeline or just may reopen sometime within that window. Our schools are currently closed through the 15th and I’m not sure I believe that as well so I can absolutely see them simply extending the closures. Also, I know they are doing phone interviews for CP’s so that’s a good sign :).
I wouldn't be surprised if they announce tomorrow with a Friday 5pm drop extending til 4/19.

DisneyCane

Let's hope the politicians are explaining that the more you test people, the more cases you are going to find, that's how the virus works. This is why perspective and understanding the mild vs. critical dynamic is so important and keeping mild people out of the hospitals. This all goes back to the terrible initial messaging that we would "stop it" vs. manage it.

Dr. Birx went out of her way to explain this in yesterday's briefing. She said that there were going to be a weeks worth of tests run in a single day in some cases.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

A few tidbits I’ve heard through the grapevine... Although dangerous to post this because it’s literally a moving and unknown target, I’m hearing talk of opening between April 18th and the 25th? And I’m not sure if it’s a phased approach over that timeline or just may reopen sometime within that window. Our schools are currently closed through the 15th and I’m not sure I believe that as well so I can absolutely see them simply extending the closures. Also, I know they are doing phone interviews for CP’s so that’s a good sign :).

Possible but as you said, it really depends on what the infection rate is etc. The way Florida's governor is handling this (not closing beaches, restaurants, etc) makes it less likely every day of hitting those dates.

Jumpr71

Why would you just join the WDW forum now and immediately come here? Seems odd.
I joined the WDW forum because I travelled to WDW in the end of January and I wanted to do some research before I went. I came back to this forum because during that trip I got sick AF with all of the symptoms of CoVid 19 and I was hoping to find other folks that had the same thing happen. I’m not sure that qualifies as fishy.

Ismael Flores

Those dates seem to match dates of a supposedly quiet release of hotel pricing for rooms at the Disneyland Anaheim hotels.
Wonder if they are hoping that they might open both resorts around that time

wishiwere@wdw

Possible but as you said, it really depends on what the infection rate is etc. The way Florida's governor is handling this (not closing beaches, restaurants, etc) makes it less likely every day of hitting those dates.
I’m mostly neutral on him but just to add that it seems it was mostly regional governments that weren’t following protocol and he more or less forced the issue? I’m not following this as closely as I should (partly for my sanity and also because I’m extremely busy) so anyone here is welcome to keep me honest but my understanding is that he was actually very upset about the spring breakers which resulted in a Sunday beach closure. That wasn’t good enough and he swayed them toward a Friday night closure? Regardless, you are absolutely correct. I suspect in the coming days there will be much stronger and enforceable rules in place to get this done and done right.

Patcheslee

New work orders today: beginning tomorrow all 800 of us employees must use a single entrance into the plant. Come Monday all employees will have to answer 3 health questions and have a temperature check before entering. Any employee who leaves due to illness during the day must notify the medic and work area must be sanitized. If we leave the plant, we have to go through the screening process again.
Today someone was sent home for a 99.3 "fever"....

Calmdownnow

If you are following infection curves you need to take into account that testing was not widely available until March 17th/18th/19th, so the curve can be interpreted in two ways: 1 ) a less steep, more gradual, rise to the current summit because infections (undetected) were much higher around March 12th/16th than were captured in the data and 2) if the real curve is more gradual, but still hitting the current peak, the top of the curve may be some days away.

LittleBuford

MERS is officially named Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Was it racist or xenophobic of the WHO to include the region of origination in the name? Of course not.

The WHO introduced new (and in my opinion extremely sensible) naming guidelines back in 2015:

“In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as ‘swine flu’ and ‘Middle East Respiratory Syndrome’ has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. “This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples’ lives and livelihoods.”

JohnD

I would hope enough people are following the social distancing guidelines and staying home that state-to-state travel would soon stop...

I’m looking at city to city travel in the same state. I live in Tallahassee. My folks live in Jax. They are both almost 80. Together we agree that maybe I shouldn’t visit them next week to celebrate my birthday. Welcome to the new normal.

JohnD

What is the status of the areas closed WDW? as in can you still walk along the beaches of Polynesian and Grand Floridian (Fav spot in all of WDW) or boardwalk/beachclub area or are those blocked off?

would be neat and would be something to do a sunday drive around the property if you lived locally.

There is no lockdown. However, because both MK and the resorts are closed, I suspect you won’t be able to park anywhere around Seven Seas Lagoon.

DisneyCane

The WHO introduced new (and in my opinion extremely sensible) naming guidelines back in 2015:

“In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as ‘swine flu’ and ‘Middle East Respiratory Syndrome’ has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. “This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples’ lives and livelihoods.”

If somebody is so ignorant that they would discriminate against somebody because of a disease name, there really is little hope for them as a person.

I call it the Chinese virus because I'm angry with the Chinese government for their early cover up. I still buy Chinese food from my local take out place that is owned by Chinese people.

Lilofan

What is the status of the areas closed WDW? as in can you still walk along the beaches of Polynesian and Grand Floridian (Fav spot in all of WDW) or boardwalk/beachclub area or are those blocked off?

would be neat and would be something to do a sunday drive around the property if you lived locally.
It might be a problem trying to park your car in the resort area parking lots since the resorts are shut down.

DisneyCane

Gavin Newsome:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom described in letter to President Trump on Thursday the impact coronavirus will have on the state and its residents.

“We project that roughly 56% of our state’s population – 25.5 million people – will be infected with the virus over an eight-week period,” he said.

Of course they don't have the letter posted for context of the statement. That has to be projected with no measures in place. If, with all these extreme containment measures in place, 56% still get infected over 8 weeks then there really is no point to all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom