Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

DisneyCane

This is entirely untrue. The virus has been sequenced and the origin is well known. Its natural not man made. This is dangerous conspiracy BS.
I’m sorry not entirely untrue...they do have a lab in Wuhan...just mostly untrue. Which is typical of conspiracy BS.

Exactly. The Chinese government tried to cover up the outbreak but they didn't create the virus.

Think about it, if you were going to produce a virus as a bio-weapon:

1) You'd make one that is a lot more deadly and
2) You'd create a vaccine simultaneously to inoculate your own people (or at least the people in power)

Even if it got out accidentally, the work on #2 would have been done.

ImperfectPixie

“It might be” - technically he’s not wrong. My money is on a bat infecting a chicken in a weird animal farm / slaughter house / market combo - seems like something bad would come from that to me!

I mean I’m not saying he should have said that... but doesn’t seem any worse than things our leaders have said recently.
It might take me a while to sort through my history to find the scientific article (not a peer-reviewed journal article, though) I read about the origins, but it said bats (and possibly snakes, with the warning that they're at a loss about the cold/warm blood jump) that infect animals, specifically mentioning animals like camels and civets, and from those animals, the virus made the leap to humans. Right around the same time I read the scientific article, I also studied up on wet markets, in which live animals taken from the wild are kept in close quarters, usually with less than sanitary conditions so be sold as a food source.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But the TP shortage is real. Just go into any store. So when reality differs than what the media and authorities keep telling you then you lose trust in that information.
There is plenty of toilet paper being produced and shipped to cover normal needs. There is no shortage or supply disruption. Almost all TP is manufactured domestically so there’s no supply chain issues from China or anything. The shortage is only caused by panic buying and hoarding. Once those store shelves are empty anyone who sees that in person or on social media is likely to buy more than they need the next time they see it. It’s a false shortage. If you took a poll and people answered honestly almost everyone has more TP on hand then they actually need right now.

Calmdownnow

I can’t get in this discussion, it will be impossible to avoid politics.

The fact that China covered up this disease and then knowingly lied about... - is not political, just simply what we know has happened.

I think we all need to take a deep breathe and consider whether there is any government that has not knowlingly lied about this, covered up the extent of the disease -- including taken steps to reduce testing to obscure data on the volume of infections -- and tried to minimize infection rates in order to gain a political advantage. What we all do about this is something for "after". Now we need to be cutting through the blame game and focusing on the actions needed to keep people safe.

DisneyCane

But the TP shortage is real. Just go into any store. So when reality differs than what the media and authorities keep telling you then you lose trust in that information.

In a way yes. In a way, no. There is plenty of toilet paper in existence for everybody in the USA to use. The problem is that morons are hoarding it and likely have a 3 or 4 year supply while other people can't get ahold of any right now.

Hopefully, when the supply trucks arrive and the stores restock the shelves, the same selfish morons won't go out and buy more.

In the 1970's oil crisis, there was actually a shortage. There wasn't enough oil in the country to meet the needs.

ImperfectPixie

In a way yes. In a way, no. There is plenty of toilet paper in existence for everybody in the USA to use. The problem is that morons are hoarding it and likely have a 3 or 4 year supply while other people can't get ahold of any right now.

Hopefully, when the supply trucks arrive and the stores restock the shelves, the same selfish morons won't go out and buy more.

In the 1970's oil crisis, there was actually a shortage. There wasn't enough oil in the country to meet the needs.
Well, we're going on 8 days here and TP and other goods are still flying off the shelves faster than they can restock them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not true, some are down to there last roll.
True...but that’s because of the panic buyers not an actual shortage. We are using the same amount of TP as before and the supply is the same so there should be no shortage. There could be a shift from commercial toilet paper (the big rolls in some stalls in public bathrooms) and standard home rolls due to more people spending more time at home but that doesn’t account for what we are seeing. There is a legit shortage of hand sanitizer and hospital masks because people are actually using a whole lot more of them than they did a month ago.

JohnD

RobWDW1971

Let's hope the politicians are explaining that the more you test people, the more cases you are going to find, that's how the virus works. This is why perspective and understanding the mild vs. critical dynamic is so important and keeping mild people out of the hospitals. This all goes back to the terrible initial messaging that we would "stop it" vs. manage it.

wishiwere@wdw

A few tidbits I’ve heard through the grapevine... Although dangerous to post this because it’s literally a moving and unknown target, I’m hearing talk of opening between April 18th and the 25th? And I’m not sure if it’s a phased approach over that timeline or just may reopen sometime within that window. Our schools are currently closed through the 15th and I’m not sure I believe that as well so I can absolutely see them simply extending the closures. Also, I know they are doing phone interviews for CP’s so that’s a good sign :).

Josh Hendy

This is entirely untrue. The virus has been sequenced and the origin is well known. Its natural not man made. This is dangerous conspiracy BS.
The virus may have naturally evolved. That's what my friend who is an MD with a PhD in tropical medicine believes.

However, labs all over the world have been collecting and storing virus samples from anywhere they can find them. Some of them are civilian labs trying to find cures and vaccines, some of them are military labs which are presumably both trying to produce weaponized germs, and defenses from them. For example the anthrax sent in the mail shortly after 9/11 supposedly originated in a US weapons lab.

Wuhan is where the Chinese military have a lab. Scientists there were intensively studying bat-borne virus, proven by the papers they published. Chinese scientists were allegedly acquiring virus samples, among other ways by stealing them from a lab in Canada, and collecting bats without a permit in India.

I don't think that the Chinese lab actually weaponized the virus or deliberately released it. But I believe they probably had LOUSY safety procedures. Or rather, they had great procedures on paper, but in practice they couldn't be bothered following them. I think someone from the lab accidentally released the virus. Mishandling live bats maybe.

The reason why I assume the lab is incompetent is that I have been in modern, "up to date" looking Chinese hospitals in big cities twice, in the 90s. One in Beijing, one in a large provincial capital near Beijing. These were both the "best hospitals in town" where westerners were told to go.

At a casual glance everything looked ship-shape and modern. Close up, they were horrendous. In one I saw a nurse try to get away with drawing blood samples from 5 people WITH THE SAME LANCE.

In the other one I watched a doc doing a minor surgical procedure (removing a parasitical fly larva). His instruments looked like they were sterilized and probably were, but I noticed whenever he finished with an instrument he put it down on the window ledge ... which was absolutely FILTHY. Hadn't been cleaned in weeks. Oh yeah and the room filled up with about 12 members of the public who were walking by and squeezed in to watch!

Point is, of all the class 4 labs in the world who would be able to get certified, but then who would screw it up, release a deadly germ, lie about it and finger point elsewhere, I would bet on China every time.

But that's only a hunch. This pandemic is so costly that there had better be a pretty long, intensive and honest inquiry figuring out what happened. N'est pas?

JohnD

A few tidbits I’ve heard through the grapevine... Although dangerous to post this because it’s literally a moving and unknown target, I’m hearing talk of opening between April 18th and the 25th? And I’m not sure if it’s a phased approach over that timeline or just may reopen sometime within that window. Our schools are currently closed through the 15th and I’m not sure I believe that as well so I can absolutely see them simply extending the closures. Also, I know they are doing phone interviews for CP’s so that’s a good sign :).

Not dangerous at all. This is in line with state offices closed through 4/19. I would rather WDW use prudence. With an immediate closing it makes sense for them to say “okay through the end of March” then they see where things stand as it gets closer to 4/1.

Jumpr71

I though you knew everything. You've already proclaimed 18 more months of this and every countries economy dying.
Nope...I dont know everything but I spent 20 years doing nothing but work in environments like the one we find ourselves in. I asked where you got information that I find fairly hard to believe. It sounds very Prison Planet Mindwarsish, Qanon to me...and none of the above are good sources of truth.

DisneyCane

Because it's common practice to do so. Name after the origin city/country/location.

Additionally, almost every report at the beginning called it the "Wuhan coronavirus" or something similar. I don't understand why this has become such an obsession of the media.

MERS is officially named Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Was it racist or xenophobic of the WHO to include the region of origination in the name? Of course not.

Although, he may have used the term sometimes beforehand, it wasn't until the Chinese media and officials started saying that the US Military might have been the source that President Trump started going out of his way to call it the "Chinese Virus" as often as possible.

Well, we're going on 8 days here and TP and other goods are still flying off the shelves faster than they can restock them.

Unfortunately, there is a segment of selfish morons in the population. Plus, the supply chain was set up for the normal consumption rate of TP, hand sanitizer and disinfectants. Suddenly, inventory went to zero so it will take some time for the supply chain to catch up for nonsensical things like TP. For hand sanitizer and disinfectants the use rate has gone up dramatically, so for those the manufacturing must be ramped up to produce more. That will take longer as the supply chain goes all the way back to raw materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom