Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Threads about coronavirus and WDW are getting merged into this thread, and subsequently lost to discussion about coronavirus that have nothing to do with WDW.

hopemax

This is entirely untrue. The virus has been sequenced and the origin is well known. Its natural not man made. This is dangerous conspiracy BS.

And in case people haven't read an article about the study yet. A team was organized by Scripps Research Institute, including a doctor from Tulane University, Columbia University, University of Sydney, and the University of Edinburgh. Their findings were that the molecular structure of this virus, especially the "backbone" is unlike other known human coronaviruses, and most closely resembles viruses found in bats and pangolin monkeys. If a virus were engineered, they would have started with something that is already known to cause illnesses.

Undoubtedly, other countries will be conducting their own research, and if you think all the countries are going to cover for someone's military, that is some conspiracy.

PeoplemoverTTA

lisa12000

More than 75% of the deaths in Italy had high blood pressure. Over 100 million Americans have HBP and many don’t know it.

I am 39 and am otherwise healthy but have had stubborn high blood pressure my entire life.

These numbers don’t make me feel less concerned.

my sister works in the medical profession and says that it is the medication taken for blood pressure that is the problem as it means that the receptors multiply due the medication which allows more of the virus to attach on to them - meaning that more of the body is overwhelmed; so undiagnosed hbp for this virus is probably less dangerous (although obvs lots of other complications with it)

Rimmit

I think this will be much worse.
100 percent agree. Post 9/11 there was a lot of solidarity to get out there and show the terrorists we weren’t scared. That we weren’t gonna let them beat us by ruining our way of life. There was American Pride. There were flags flying. The world started back up within a week to show the terrorists we were stronger than that. We didn’t have to social distance. We were allowed to continue on with our lives as long as we were comfortable doing so.

None of that is going to happen this time. Nothing is going to be able to open back up for a while. I don’t see flags flying from every flagpole and every car in the US. I don’t hear “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood blaring on the radio 24/7. There is a total lack of solidarity here and part of it is that we are fighting a faceless enemy. One without remorse, conscience, or emotion. You can’t “hurt” a virus. You can’t get revenge on a virus.

When the airport security ramped up and we had not increased staffing yet as it was such an abrupt increase in security protocols with no warning and there were 1-2 hour waits, no one complained. Everyone was happy to do their part and stand in line. We can’t even get college students to sit at home and binge watch Netflix this time around. Therein lies the problem.

MickeyLuv'r

I can’t believe how bad this thread has gotten.

Anything actually relevant to WDW is buried by coronavirus discussions that sound like my crazy uncle and his crazy friends have on Facebook all day.

Any chance we could have two threads? One for discussion relevant to WDW, and one for...whatever the heck the rest of these posts are about?

Alas, there isn't much to say about WDW right now.

I think that's why the subject has veered off a bit. Well actually, a long ways.

I actually kind a finding it a bit comical in an odd way. Who knew the debate would veer like this, eh?

TrainsOfDisney

How do you expect this impact on WDW’s business to be similar or different from the post-9/11 impact?

September 11 was a terrible day.
But on September 12, Disney Parks in the USA reopened.
On September 13, all Broadway Theaters reopened.

That should really be a chilling reminder to how bad this will be... emergency responders were still looking for survivors and on the same island Nathan Lane was on stage with Matthew Broderick.

Economy wise there is no comparison.

PeoplemoverTTA

my sister works in the medical profession and says that it is the medication taken for blood pressure that is the problem as it means that the receptors multiply due the medication which allows more of the virus to attach on to them - meaning that more of the body is overwhelmed; so undiagnosed hbp for this virus is probably less dangerous (although obvs lots of other complications with it)

Wow that is really good to know - thank you!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can someone please explain to why anyone thinks they need to stock up on toilet paper for multiple weeks at a time?
Toilet paper is cheap and doesn’t expire. It’s the “low hanging fruit” of panic buying. In a situation like the one we are in it’s impossible for most of the population to do anything to prevent or avoid the situation. That lack of control and helpless feeling manifests in panic buying because I can’t control the outbreak or the lock down but buying TP is within my control.

Social media caused the spread of TP panic buying. Viral videos showing people with shopping carts full of giant packs of TP made people think there was a shortage. Even though traditional media coverage kept saying there was no shortage...people gotta believe what they read or see on their FB group. This isn’t the first time TP has been part of panic buying. Back in the 1970s during the oil embargo there were actual shortages of gasoline and some other petroleum based products. Johnny Carson was the host of the Tonight Show back then and he made a joke in his opening dialog about a TP shortage. Lots of people who saw it thought it was real and there was a run on TP. No social media back then but there also wasn‘t cable TV so a whole lot of people watched the Tonight Show.

tallica

More than 75% of the deaths in Italy had high blood pressure. Over 100 million Americans have HBP and many don’t know it.

I am 39 and am otherwise healthy but have had stubborn high blood pressure my entire life.

These numbers don’t make me feel less concerned.
Yes, but on the positive side the average age was 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom