Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Why are people so against masks? It’s really baffling to me. Masks and distancing help keep people alive = masks and distancing are a good thing!
Especially inside... in AC... I don't know. I really don't mind them at all and if it helps us get out of this mess even a little I'm all for it. I don't need people breathing down my neck even before covid.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
5 more months:joyfull: Totally OT but I'm so excited

EpcoTim

Yes the possibility exists but your comment of vax people being more dangerous is farther from the truth.

I didn’t speak in the definitive though, I did say probably. Could have worded it better but I never said it was ironclad.

Heelz2315

Why are people so against masks? It’s really baffling to me. Masks and distancing help keep people alive = masks and distancing are a good thing!
I just don't want to go to wdw and wear a mask. anywhere else I could care less, and do it all the time. No problemo. it's something about being there and not having to do it. Just don't want to.

correcaminos

Especially inside... in AC... I don't know. I really don't mind them at all and if it helps us get out of this mess even a little I'm all for it. I don't need people breathing down my neck even before covid.
Honestly it wasn't bad but there were times when I'd rather be outside in FL than indoors with AC with a mask. It wasn't the worst but not all times were great. I remember the Land pavillion being particularly bad.

They can kinda suck. I wear as directed but the failure to understand that not all are comfortable with them is something I am getting tired of hearing. Not as much as those still fighting wearing them, but I can tell you they are not my favorite thing at all and I loved not having them at all this summer. Not everything is great with them and not everyone who hates them and wishes them gone are maskholes. Lots of gray.

disneygeek90

We can still wear them, but normalize them implies long term. Nope, not gonna normalize masks in all situations. Sorry.
I didn't say forever, but we should be able to continue "normal life" while not being afraid of wearing a mask around large groups of people. FL still is averaging around 10k cases a day. Perhaps if it was something like 500 I would entertain that conversation.

DisneyCane

They can have a high enough viral load to be contagious, but it does not last as long. So a vaccinated person is much less likely to be infected than an unvaccinated person and if they do get infected and the viral load is high enough to be contagious they are contagious for a shorter period of time.
Has this actually been studied? Has there been an attempt to identify vaccinated people with breakthrough infections and unvaccinated people and try to catch the infection as soon as it is detectable and then monitor the viral load for days/weeks?

dovetail65

We can still wear them, but normalize them implies long term. Nope, not gonna normalize masks in all situations. Sorry.

Normalize(standard condition or state that does not seem out of the ordinary) yes.Mandate(an official order or commission to do something) everywhere we go other than public transit, no.

Heck they are normalized now. 3 years ago it would of been weird to see a person in the USA wear a mask. 3 year from now even if Covid is gone it's not going to seem weird if people wear masks.

Normalize does not mean long term forced use for everyone, it simply means it will not be out of the ordinary to see masks on 20% of people for any personal reason, pollution, whatever, like in Asia for the last 30 years. Heck, 3 years ago a person wearing a mask might be told to take it off for security issues(like getting through TSA pre covid), that won't be happening in the USA anymore because it's becoming normalized.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Because they are annoying to wear, uncomfortable to wear (if you are wearing one that has a chance of actually doing something), restrict breathing (same comment), make it more difficult to communicate verbally and impossible to communicate with facial expressions.

Also, the people I'm keeping alive by wearing one can choose to wear a KN95 which are easily available to buy online if they are concerned with what I may be breathing out into the air. They can also be vaccinated which, even with the apparent reduced real world effectiveness still make it incredibly unlikely to have a severe or life threatening illness if they do get COVID.

You can argue that in a situation like WDW where there are a lot of kids under 12 who can't be vaccinated and who won't wear a KN95 properly that forcing me to wear a mask is justified. Outside of some very specific situations like WDW or medical facilities, the argument falls on deaf ears to me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Clearly, I choose a poor stat, or haven't kept up enough. The point still stands, that a vaccinated person is way less likely to pass it along.

Bolding all mine to call out those points.
Nah, you were right. Directly from the article that was in the post replying to you:

One massive analysis of Delta transmission comes from the UK REACT-1 programme, led by a team at Imperial College London, which tests more than 100,000 UK volunteers every few weeks. The team ran Ct analyses for samples received in May, June and July, when Delta was rapidly replacing other variants to become the dominant driver of COVID-19 in the country. The results suggested that among people testing positive, those who had been vaccinated had a lower viral load on average than did unvaccinated people. Paul Elliott, an epidemiologist at Imperial, says that these results differ from other Ct studies because this study sampled the population at random and included people who tested positive without showing symptoms.

There were some smaller studies which showed vaccinated people having a similar viral load. It’s not definitive one way or the other but this was a very large study which showed lower viral load on average in fully vaccinated people who had a breakthrough infection. That doesn’t mean that a fully vaccinated person is definitely not going to be contagious. Just that on average their viral load was lower. The other study referenced from Singapore looked at time contagious and found that in fully vaccinated people the viral load dropped faster.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks. I must have missed the post and will go find it.
All true except for the smaller viral load, info taken from here:

“Data from COVID-19 tests in the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore are showing that vaccinated people who become infected with Delta SARS-CoV-2 can carry as much virus in their nose as do unvaccinated people.”

The amount of people and the window in which they carry will be much smaller but so far it looks like the amount of the virus carried is the same in the two, when a breakthrough occurs. Something for people to think about if there are worries of spreading it to others in close proximity.

Kevin_W

I just don't want to go to wdw and wear a mask. anywhere else I could care less, and do it all the time. No problemo. it's something about being there and not having to do it. Just don't want to.

I can certainly understand that. Part of visiting WDW is supposed to be an escape from reality. (Yes, I know that isn't really Rapunzel we are talking to, but it's fun to pretend that it is.) Constantly putting your mask on and off is a reminder of the "real world" and detracts from the experience, even if it isn't physically onerous.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can certainly understand that. Part of visiting WDW is supposed to be an escape from reality. (Yes, I know that isn't really Rapunzel we are talking to, but it's fun to pretend that it is.) Constantly putting your mask on and off is a reminder of the "real world" and detracts from the experience, even if it isn't physically onerous.
I felt this way too going in, but I can honestly say it wasn’t a big deal for me. In a weird way I almost feel like WDW was “more special” because of the issues going on in the real world. I needed an escape more than ever. The masks and hand sanitizer and covid signs everywhere just sorta blended into the experience. I was more focused on having fun and not having a heat stroke in the August FL sun 🌞 I think it’s all an individual thing. By the time I was going I was actually happy they brought back masks indoors. I think if someone is hard core triggered by masks like a number of people seem to be, it could be a deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom