Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic denier-tactic: Take bad news and compare it to worse news so that the bad news doesn't seem bad.

Up until the time she said that, cases as a proportion of the population was rising, with the presumption that they would continue to rise.

I'd call that troubling, unless you're predisposed to make our health leaders look like fools since one is a anti-vaxxer?

View attachment 581036

Why not compare the rising hospitalizations of adolescents to the Bubonic Plague, or the death of all humans at all time? It would be equally enlightening.
Denier? Maybe. I will defend your right to say that until the very end. The more debate we have over this the better. One thing that has really bothered me since the beginning of all this is that folks have divided into camps and are extremely unwilling to hear any other point of view. I love that this thread has a gajillion posts - the more the better. For something that is this important, we should debate, argue, post data, yell at each other about it, and keep hashing it out. I tend to not trust those in charge (on both sides of the political spectrum), I would rather see the data, read the arguments (like on this thread), and then make decisions for my family based on my own judgement. Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming! If I post something dumb, I want to know about it. I want to keep learning and figuring all this out. Let's keep it going - even after this is all over.

So 20,500 cases per day in Japan. Which is what Florida has been hitting lately. Population Florida: 21.5 million. Population Japan: 126.3 million.

5.8x Population, similar case loads.

What was the point of this?
That's a great question. One thing I love about this thread is that if I post data that I find or thoughts that I have, other folks can look at it from different angles than I did. I don't trust our leaders (on either side of the political spectrum), so I try to find data that will help me figure all this out. It's great to have a forum where you can basically say "what you posted doesn't make any sense". Something this important, we should keep doing this - post data, argue, debate, yell, hash everything out. Thanks for your feedback, and keep it coming!

Kevin_W

So, wasn't the U.S. and/or some of its states going to come out of the current Delta wave in the way Israel and the UK got through it? Because... it looks like no one's getting through it.

The UK lifted all their restrictions on July 19. And with the number going down immediately after, it was declared a success. But now...

UK is ugly, but not all countries are. India, where this variant originated, has dropped to ~5% of the level of the UK. An even Brazil, which has been hit as hard overall int he past year as any country in the world, is trending down.

The rest of Europe has managed better than the UK (France was the worst, but they have started to trend down in the past week), so it's not all complete doom and gloom. Though the Israel numbers are particularly disheartening as they were the poster child for success such a short time ago.

1629720980201.png

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
UK is ugly, but not all countries are. India, where this variant originated, has dropped to ~5% of the level of the UK. An even Brazil, which has been hit as hard overall int he past year as any country in the world, is trending down.

The rest of Europe has managed better than the UK (France was the worst, but they have started to trend down in the past week), so it's not all complete doom and gloom. Though the Israel numbers are particularly disheartening as they were the poster child for success such a short time ago.

View attachment 581807
Is the cases will going down faster by next year in United States soon?

lazyboy97o

Denier? Maybe. I will defend your right to say that until the very end. The more debate we have over this the better. One thing that has really bothered me since the beginning of all this is that folks have divided into camps and are extremely unwilling to hear any other point of view. I love that this thread has a gajillion posts - the more the better. For something that is this important, we should debate, argue, post data, yell at each other about it, and keep hashing it out. I tend to not trust those in charge (on both sides of the political spectrum), I would rather see the data, read the arguments (like on this thread), and then make decisions for my family based on my own judgement. Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming! If I post something dumb, I want to know about it. I want to keep learning and figuring all this out. Let's keep it going - even after this is all over.
Debate? What debate? You just keep posting random images. No actual information.

DisneyCane

Well, first, you are straight up wrong - of course a vaccine passport is a mitigation measure. It is to prevent super-spreader events.

In any case, apparently you haven't been watching very closely. Where have you been? I was not just talking about what he DID make illegal, but clearly used the word "tried" - because he TRIED to make things like mask mandates illegal, but was foiled.

This guy has tried to do everything in his power to make COVID worse. I rarely use this word, but his actions are truly indefensible. He's sick and people have died because of his political ambitions.
PEOPLE ARE FREE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO IN ORDER TO PROTECT THEMSELVES.

No government official is causing people to die (well, you could argue that the ones who sent COVID patients to nursing homes did). A virus is causing people to die. Short of ordering complete, ultra strict lockdowns like Australia and New Zealand no measures are going to suppress the spread down to near zero "numbers." Just look at the winter outbreaks in NY, NJ and PA while their governors were "saving lives."

The main thing making COVID worse is the mutation of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

It appears that the outbreak in FL has peaked and starting to decline. The decline obviously has nothing to do with actions taken. The outbreak curve is a natural occurrence. I will be shocked if the "good" states don't have significant outbreaks in the next few months. The only thing that makes a real difference (short of lockdowns) is how many people are optimally vaccinated (I won't say fully anymore since the booster requirement renders that term moot).

You need to stop putting so much faith in visible safety blankets. If people are allowed to interact, the only protection that really matters is microscopic and invisible.

Debate? What debate? You just keep posting random images. No actual information.
Noted - I'll try to add some commentary moving forward. For example, one of the things I'm trying to figure out with the mask thing is that it looks like cities/states/countries that have a high percentage of mask adoption, the case curves seems to be pretty much the same as the cites/states/countries that don't. Does that mean that masks don't work? There have got to be other things at play - someone mentioned that you can't really compare due to population size, etc. It would be great to see a comparison of Disney vs. Universal over the last few weeks. Have more folks gotten sick at Universal than Disney because of the differing mask requirements? It would be a really great apples to apples case study. Apologies for posting random charts/data. It's just stuff I've found in my searches that looks interesting, and I'm hoping to get thoughts/input from all sides.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You can't debate stats and facts and numbers. But you can lie about them or cherry pick them to make a point that doesn't reflect reality. Just like you did to try to make a scientist look like a fool by presenting two different statistics on one graph to purposely minimize the significance of one of them.

You can have a debate in science when there is a new discovery (a novel virus with novel variants), but you can't present new conjectures as fact. Nor cherry pick information from unpublished "studies" that haven't been peer reviewed and show up on anti-vaxxer websites.

Remember hydroxychloroquine? When one doctor had patients who did well after receiving it, he didn't do what scientists are supposed to do: Follow up with a rigorous study and publish the data in a peer-reviews respected scientific journal. Instead, he short-circuited the scientific method by announcing he found a cure-all for COVID. He was wrong. And everyone who got on the hydroxychloroquine train wound up looking like fools, including the president.

Early in the pandemic, there were two doctors running a clinic in California who declared the pandemic was pretty much over because the overwhelming majority of the population already had COVID and we were heading into herd immunity. But they were wrong. They forgot very basic statistical modeling that all medical degrees teach that a self-selecting sample of a population (the people who were coming to their clinic because they were sick with COVID) can not be extrapolated to the general population. They were roundly and justly mocked as fools because they were so, so wrong.

But, according to you, at the time these two false claims were being made, that's just "part of the debate." No. It's not. It's wrong and it's not science and it leads to people getting hurt.

The opposing conjectures in science need to be established as true or false based on the scientific method. Not based on whether the results would lead to further inconveniences of one's "freedoms."

People saying, "but it's just my opinion, and isn't debate good?" Yes, debate is good, if you're going to back up your assertions with the scientific method done correctly. But to throw your opinions out into the general public as if it was true... that's just a fancy way of saying you're lying. Because you have no way of knowing if your "opinion" is really true or false.

Don't know why anyone would do something like that and set themselves up to be roundly mocked when their assertions are shown to be false. The doctor who hyped hydroxychloroquine and the two bozos who declared herd immunity should be sanctioned for their idiocy and their failure to uphold the scientific method and leading people astray.

Perhaps they feel no shame?

So, stop leading people astray with your "opinions.'

Casper Gutman

PEOPLE ARE FREE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO IN ORDER TO PROTECT THEMSELVES.

No government official is causing people to die (well, you could argue that the ones who sent COVID patients to nursing homes did). A virus is causing people to die. Short of ordering complete, ultra strict lockdowns like Australia and New Zealand no measures are going to suppress the spread down to near zero "numbers." Just look at the winter outbreaks in NY, NJ and PA while their governors were "saving lives."

The main thing making COVID worse is the mutation of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

It appears that the outbreak in FL has peaked and starting to decline. The decline obviously has nothing to do with actions taken. The outbreak curve is a natural occurrence. I will be shocked if the "good" states don't have significant outbreaks in the next few months. The only thing that makes a real difference (short of lockdowns) is how many people are optimally vaccinated (I won't say fully anymore since the booster requirement renders that term moot).

You need to stop putting so much faith in visible safety blankets. If people are allowed to interact, the only protection that really matters is microscopic and invisible.
Vaccines work, as you say. Any government official who willfully casts doubts on vaccines for power and popularity with their base, prohibits private entities from demanding guests and employees be vaccinated, and otherwise actively impedes efforts to maximize the number of vaccinations, is worsening the pandemic and, yes, making its outcomes more dire.

Other measures may not get the infection to zero, but they can help limit it. But those measures pale in comparison to vaccines.

This post reads like a person who, very sensibly, believes in vaccines but doesn't want to grapple with the anti-vaccine actions of certain political figures they support, so they have fallen back to a "political leaders are completely disconnected from the pandemic" position.

DisneyCane

You want school info? We had zero cases of classroom spread with mandatory mask usage. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. All spread was after hours or unmasked close contact sports. We had excellent contact tracing.
Scientifically, you can't conclude that masks were the reason there was no classroom spread unless you had groups which were masks and groups which were unmasked in the classroom to compare. It's possible that the setup of a classroom isn't a high risk environment for spread.

I'm not saying that the masks were definitely not the reason but there is no proof that they were the reason. Maybe the classrooms in your district have good ventilation. Maybe the distance between desks is enough to make it low risk. I don't know. My biggest problem with everything COVID is that things are implemented and mandated based on "common sense" and not valid, scientific studies.

At the beginning we had no choice but to base things on educated guesses. 15 months into 15 days to slow the spread, everything should be based on strong scientific evidence, not "it can't hurt."

DisneyDebRob

You can't debate stats and facts and numbers. But you can lie about them or cherry pick them to make a point that doesn't reflect reality. Just like you did to try to make a scientist look like a fool by presenting two different statistics on one graph to purposely minimize the significance of one of them.

You can have a debate in science when there is a new discovery (a novel virus with novel variants), but you can't present new conjectures as fact. Nor cherry pick information from unpublished "studies" that haven't been peer reviewed and show up on anti-vaxxer websites.

Remember hydroxychloroquine? When one doctor had patients who did well after receiving it, he didn't do what scientists are supposed to do: Follow up with a rigorous study and publish the data in a peer-reviews respected scientific journal. Instead, he short-circuited the scientific method by announcing he found a cure-all for COVID. He was wrong. And everyone who got on the hydroxychloroquine train wound up looking like fools, including the president.

Early in the pandemic, there were two doctors running a clinic in California who declared the pandemic was pretty much over because the overwhelming majority of the population already had COVID and we were heading into herd immunity. But they were wrong. They forgot very basic statistical modeling that all medical degrees teach that a self-selecting sample of a population (the people who were coming to their clinic because they were sick with COVID) can not be extrapolated to the general population. They were roundly and justly mocked as fools because they were so, so wrong.

But, according to you, at the time these two false claims were being made, that's just "part of the debate." No. It's not. It's wrong and it's not science and it leads to people getting hurt.

The opposing conjectures in science need to be established as true or false based on the scientific method. Not based on whether the results would lead to further inconveniences of one's "freedoms."

People saying, "but it's just my opinion, and isn't debate good?" Yes, debate is good, if you're going to back up your assertions with the scientific method done correctly. But to throw your opinions out into the general public as if it was true... that's just a fancy way of saying you're lying. Because you have no way of knowing if your "opinion" is really true or false.

Don't know why anyone would do something like that and set themselves up to be roundly mocked when their assertions are shown to be false. The doctor who hyped hydroxychloroquine and the two bozos who declared herd immunity should be sanctioned for their idiocy and their failure to uphold the scientific method and leading people astray.

Perfectly said Mister. Please include all the people here that take side swipes at the experts.. or still claim masks do no good. They usually follow it up after that with..” I’m a science guy” or..” we need to follow the science”.. trying to play both sides against each other. You either follow it or don’t. You either adjust opinions based on new findings by science or you stick with the tried and true remarks of your past because you don’t want to believe your wrong. It’s harmful to others that are looking for facts.

DisneyCane

Vaccines work, as you say. Any government official who willfully casts doubts on vaccines for power and popularity with their base, prohibits private entities from demanding guests and employees be vaccinated, and otherwise actively impedes efforts to maximize the number of vaccinations, is worsening the pandemic and, yes, making its outcomes more dire.

Other measures may not get the infection to zero, but they can help limit it. But those measures pale in comparison to vaccines.

This post reads like a person who, very sensibly, believes in vaccines but doesn't want to grapple with the anti-vaccine actions of certain political figures they support, so they have fallen back to a "political leaders are completely disconnected from the pandemic" position.
The official to whom you refer has never casted doubts about the vaccines and is vaccinated himself. Employers are not prohibited from demanding that employees be vaccinated. The only thing prohibited is businesses and educational institutions requiring that customers/students be vaccinated. You may disagree but my medical information is not the business of a restaurant I go to.

The key here is that the vaccines are extremely effective (for some period of time) in preventing serious illness if you get it. Everyone who is 12 years old or older can almost eliminate the chance of having a serious illness from COVID. I am vaccinated but if you are then it doesn't really matter to you if I am if we end up in line for FoP next to each other for 3 hours.

Casper Gutman

That's a great question. One thing I love about this thread is that if I post data that I find or thoughts that I have, other folks can look at it from different angles than I did. I don't trust our leaders (on either side of the political spectrum), so I try to find data that will help me figure all this out. It's great to have a forum where you can basically say "what you posted doesn't make any sense". Something this important, we should keep doing this - post data, argue, debate, yell, hash everything out. Thanks for your feedback, and keep it coming!
Not trusting political leaders completely is fine. Not trusting journalists, bureaucrats, even scientists completely - fine. But that's step one of critical thinking. Step two is taking that lack of trust and compensating for the various biases and motivations, both conscious and subconscious, that skew the messages coming from those figures so you can decode some usable information from what they say. Part of this is realizing that not all public figures succumb to their biases to the same degree, and that some are acting in outright bad faith. The existence of bias (unavoidable for humans) in some figures is not an excuse to give equal weight to those who are just lying for profit and power.

Its also important not to fall victim to the lure of "impartial" data. Every chart, set of numbers, etc. is framed in a particular way, often to lead the viewer to a specific conclusion. Context is left in or kept out. The idea that data is impartial is nonsense.

This is a very, very complex and confusing crisis. Unless you have a postgraduate degree in the field (or subfield) being discussed and days at a time to dedicate to it, you are not going to be able to accurately interpret data. I know I can't - I don't have the lifetime of skills needed. The most likely outcome is that the reader will reinforce their pre-existing belief no matter what the data might say to an expert.

The upshot here is to listen to a range of voices, adjust for their particular shortcomings, and believe them, even if only conditionally.

Casper Gutman

The official to whom you refer has never casted doubts about the vaccines and is vaccinated himself. Employers are not prohibited from demanding that employees be vaccinated. The only thing prohibited is businesses and educational institutions requiring that customers/students be vaccinated. You may disagree but my medical information is not the business of a restaurant I go to.

The key here is that the vaccines are extremely effective (for some period of time) in preventing serious illness if you get it. Everyone who is 12 years old or older can almost eliminate the chance of having a serious illness from COVID. I am vaccinated but if you are then it doesn't really matter to you if I am if we end up in line for FoP next to each other for 3 hours.
Come on. That official has sold merchandise mocking health experts who endorse vaccines. They have barely mentioned vaccines while heavily pushing a much less effective, more experimental, and more expensive alternative treatment for the infected, making it seem like a viable alternative. They have frequently gone on heavily watched national TV shows and nodded along to vaccine misinformation. They have spent much of their nationally-visible efforts on a highly publicized fight to prevent companies from demanding guests be vaxxed, in the process presenting vaccine refusal as a valiant stand for liberty and freedom. You can support whatever political figure you like, but you should at least do so with an honest understanding of their position.

And yes, if you can infect other diners or guests with a deadly disease, it absolutely is justified for a restaurant or other businesses to know your vaccine status. Is this where we discuss HIPPA? The very idea that this is controversial is a position that has been conjured up in the last couple years by political figures seeking to avoid blame for the crisis and selfishly channel the fiery, generalized anger of a segment of the population.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Scientifically, you can't conclude that masks were the reason there was no classroom spread unless you had groups which were masks and groups which were unmasked in the classroom to compare. It's possible that the setup of a classroom isn't a high risk environment for spread.

I'm not saying that the masks were definitely not the reason but there is no proof that they were the reason. Maybe the classrooms in your district have good ventilation. Maybe the distance between desks is enough to make it low risk. I don't know. My biggest problem with everything COVID is that things are implemented and mandated based on "common sense" and not valid, scientific studies.

At the beginning we had no choice but to base things on educated guesses. 15 months into 15 days to slow the spread, everything should be based on strong scientific evidence, not "it can't hurt."
How about you ask instead of assuming? Seriously. Public schools here so we don't have the luxury of keeping classes tiny. My kid is in a 100 year old building where the HVAC is okay but not great. We had to build a couple of schools recently and I'm sure their HVAC is better but most of the schools kind of suck. A/C goes out now and most were retrofitted units to older buildings. Not that my district is bad, but we just have old buildings. It happens even to the best.

While at the height of the pandemic we were remote only, we did have hybrid until March 1st. Where we did have 6 feet of distance. After March 1st, they couldn't even guarantee 3. They did take care with band and choir as best as they could spreading out into many classrooms, but the others? Nope, not even 3 feet after we went back full time. We did have common sense as much as we could until the vocal minority kept pressuring with even a lawsuit against the district for 5 DAYS NOW! Not joking. They bawled and whined and boo'd at school board meetings as well. The district did the best they could. The only thing that has remained constant is that masks are required by all. Now at the HS with over 60% vaccinated, they do make masks optional but the staff has been instructed to keep wearing them.

Strawman's arguments are tiresome to me and whether you realize you did it or not, you tried to use my words to promote an argument that I am beyond sick of.

And yes, this is all anecdotal evidence, but for real, this mask hating person really has opened their eyes to the fact that maybe masks *do* work. I still hate them, but I wear them more now without whining.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Full approval for Pfizer -

"The Food and Drug Administration on Monday granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine for people 16 and up, making it the first to move beyond emergency use status in the United States."

OK, thanks for that. I will stop posting on this thread. The last thing I want is to lead anyone astray, this is too important of an issue.

Not trusting political leaders completely is fine. Not trusting journalists, bureaucrats, even scientists completely - fine. But that's step one of critical thinking. Step two is taking that lack of trust and compensating for the various biases and motivations, both conscious and subconscious, that skew the messages coming from those figures so you can decode some usable information from what they say. Part of this is realizing that not all public figures succumb to their biases to the same degree, and that some are acting in outright bad faith. The existence of bias (unavoidable for humans) in some figures is not an excuse to give equal weight to those who are just lying for profit and power.

Its also important not to fall victim to the lure of "impartial" data. Every chart, set of numbers, etc. is framed in a particular way, often to lead the viewer to a specific conclusion. Context is left in or kept out. The idea that data is impartial is nonsense.

This is a very, very complex and confusing crisis. Unless you have a postgraduate degree in the field (or subfield) being discussed and days at a time to dedicate to it, you are not going to be able to accurately interpret data. I know I can't - I don't have the lifetime of skills needed. The most likely outcome is that the reader will reinforce their pre-existing belief no matter what the data might say to an expert.

The upshot here is to listen to a range of voices, adjust for their particular shortcomings, and believe them, even if only conditionally.
Good stuff, thanks. I'll go ahead and bow out of the conversation, I don't think I was contributing in a good way.

LAM378

I’m genuinely curious as to what makes you think the outbreak in FL has peaked and is starting to decline. It’s no secret that FL hospitals are full and are turning away very sick patients. Many of those people are going to die at home.

It’s also no secret that it’s near impossible to get a COVID test in a timely manner in the state of Florida right now. People that want to be tested today have to wait in a line for hours, provided they’re not too sick to do that, or wait days for a scheduled appointment. My guess is a lot of symptomatic people are forgoing testing entirely, and very few asymptomatic people, even if they know they’ve been exposed, are going to expend the time and effort to get tested when it’s an enormous hassle at the moment.

Add to this that we know many hospitals have dropped out of reporting, AND the fact that people are being encouraged to take at-home COVID tests. So there’s an awful lot of data that’s missing here. Yeah, the peak HAS to come, of course. But I don’t think FL is there yet.

And yes, there’s a really good chance that the “good” states will see big outbreaks in the next few months. But the leaders of those states are probably going to do whatever they can to prevent it from becoming the utter failure that FL is. Let’s never forget that at any moment, a state of emergency could be declared in Florida, which would allow the FL National Guard in to open up field hospitals and massive testing centers, and allow doctors and nurses from other states to come in and treat this desperately ill population, which would have the added benefit of freeing up space and help for people who are suffering from non-COVID illnesses and accidents and who can’t get the medical help they need right now.

Even putting aside the mask wearing and the vaccinations for a minute, let’s acknowledge that Florida’s leadership won’t do what’s right for the people who are already sick, and refuses to put in place or even encourage any measures to prevent healthy people from becoming sick. I don’t think that will happen in the “good” states.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Full approval for Pfizer -

"The Food and Drug Administration on Monday granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine for people 16 and up, making it the first to move beyond emergency use status in the United States."

Now we'll see what other lame excuses the people come up with to not get vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom