Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Nope, no more than making them wear clothes, some don't want to do that either but we make them.
Oh I don’t agree at all. I have no problem requiring masks as long as they have an appreciable impact on transmission. But if they aren’t doing anything, I don’t believe they should be mandated simply because they aren’t causing significant harm. There’s a reason why people wore pants but not masks prior to the pandemic.

If the evidence is inconclusive, I would say that the tie goes to the pandemic and masks should be required. But I’m not on board with people who think they are no burden at all or have no negative impact whatsoever.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
image.thumb.jpeg.8d8a5c44411d59bf81cb661e93980261.jpeg

So, wasn't the U.S. and/or some of its states going to come out of the current Delta wave in the way Israel and the UK got through it? Because... it looks like no one's getting through it.

The UK lifted all their restrictions on July 19. And with the number going down immediately after, it was declared a success. But now...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It gives lie to everyone's claim that CDC edict is sacrosanct.
The CDC is the premier repository of the scientific medical consensus.

It isn't perfect. Human beings aren't perfect. Science isn't perfect, but it is generally self-correcting with new information.

But if you're not getting your information and recommendations from the CDC with regard to human diseases, then from whom?

Any other source wouldn't represent the consensus. Any other source wouldn't have the resources. Any other source wouldn't have the expertise.

Indeed, many other contrary sources are from loons and conspiracy theorists and people who don't have a clue about science.

Between the CDC and you, I'll listen to the CDC. They don't sound strident and aren't concerned about how protocols for public safety might be inconvenient.

disneygeek90

I’m struggling to find a study that showed mask mandates for children in school provided benefit.
In all fairness, this is a tough thing to prove either way. Maybe a school had 100 cases in one month last year wearing masks. Perhaps one could say that masks did nothing to control it. However, what could have happened if there were no masks? Maybe there would have been 300 cases.

I don’t really know how you prove it either way since regionally schools operate differently and have different conditions but I don’t think we can really draw consclusions that something didn’t work because theoretically it could have. We just don’t know what the “worst” path was.

BrianLo

I'm really not into anecdotal evidence, but I've surely seen 1000 kids at this point for extended periods of time and they all do a pretty good job wearing masks. Toddlers not so much, but School aged kids.

It's just temporary at this point until they can be vaccinated, soon enough. Then we definitely need school vaccine mandates to follow.

Casper Gutman

Kids are going to be effected by the current era in huge ways, just like every generation is effected by the the world events surrounding them. The disruption of schooling, domestic political conflict, imminence of mortality, the fact that other people are viewed as possible vectors of disease, the fact that the very idea of contagious disease is more prevalent that at any time in decades - these will all shape a generation, in the same way that war or terrorism has shaped previous generations. I have no idea exactly HOW these things will shape the generation, but it will.

In the grand scheme of things, the effect of masks on children pales in comparison to these broader forces. Considering the broader effects of this pandemic, focusing on how much masks effect childhood development seems a bit limited.

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Funny how I have tracked this thread for a year and I can absolutely predict what each poster will say. Except one who said vaccine passport at least once a day at least 2 months after it was obvious than no such thing would happen in FL. WAKE UP! No one is changing their views.

Lilofan

Most of Canada is still requiring for children in school.

Nevermind Canada doesn't exist to most of you here.
Actually what you said is somewhat true. Even growing up we learned about American history in school, hardly anything about Canada and on the map we had a map of every country in North , Central and South America and Canada was just a big giant blob in the map. Canada makes the US news when you have an election for example. Canada is an afterthought and hardly ever on the news on TV but I still like vacationing ( no way in winter ) in Toronto and Vancouver. The diverse food is amazing.

Last edited:

Willmark

More anecdotal evidence here, but I’ve spoken to a teacher friend who has said it’s a nightmare. Masks wet and caked with snot, milk, food…constantly touching under them and pulling them down…trying each other’s cool masks on.

I’m sure there are some that don’t do this, but pretending it’s not happening by people that don’t spend all day with the kids is misguided.
I suppose under completely ideal situations masks are 100% effective, ie washed daily touched with sterile hands, properly fit, replaced frequently, etc.

I’m sure people and kids are that diligent 100% of that each time, or something.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I suppose under completely idea situations masks are 100% effective, ie washed daily touched with sterile hands, properly fit, replaced frequently, etc.

I’m sure people and kids are that diligent 100% of the time, or something.
I would think a teacher or parents keeping extra masks on hand for the students and their children is too much to ask?

Willmark

I would think a teacher or parents keeping extra masks on hand for the students and their children is too much to ask?
I would think that it’s impossible that the general public engages in proper mask maintenance, handling and wearing 100% of the time and children less so.

correcaminos

Funny how I have tracked this thread for a year and I can absolutely predict what each poster will say. Except one who said vaccine passport at least once a day at least 2 months after it was obvious than no such thing would happen in FL. WAKE UP! No one is changing their views.
If you say so. I know my feelings changed as evidence came to light even if I didn't like it.

DonniePeverley

So, wasn't the U.S. and/or some of its states going to come out of the current Delta wave in the way Israel and the UK got through it? Because... it looks like no one's getting through it.

The UK lifted all their restrictions on July 19. And with the number going down immediately after, it was declared a success. But now...

The UK's figures were inflated massively in early July due to the Euro Football tournament in which England made the final - causing a massive spike. Once that stopped, and schools broke up - the rates went down.

Heppenheimer

Actually what you said is somewhat true. Even growing up we learned about American history in school, hardly anything about Canada and on the map we had a map of every country in North , Central and South America and Canada was just a big giant blob in the map. Canada makes the US news when you have an election for example. Canada is an afterthought and hardly ever on the news on TV but I still like vacationing ( no way in winter ) in Toronto and Vancouver. The diverse food is amazing.
I remember spending a surprisingly long time studying Canada in grade school social studies class, including a dreadfully boring film strip on Canada's Parliament. But you are correct, Canada seems to be mostly an afterthought in the US public's mind. Even when I lived in the Buffalo-Niagara region, I was surprised how seldom people on the US side would cross the border, especially given how much nicer and economically vibrant the Canadian side is compared to the general Rustbelt crappiness of western NY.

I'm married to a German-Canadian, and we can't wait for the border to fully open again. Wife hasn't seen her family in over two years.

DisneyDebRob

I would think that it’s impossible that the general public engages in proper mask maintenance, handling and wearing 100% of the time and children less so.
The answer is not do anything because it’s not 100%, the answer is always try to do something even if it’s less. If it’s the best we got then we should do it.
Sometimes when reading this thread it’s like being catapulted back to March 2020. Still talking about the effectiveness of masks(proven) and the comparisons to the flu or driving a car over the speed limit(???). Six hundred thousand dead and still climbing, with the pandemic still raging and we are still discussing the flu.
By the way Willmark, none of this was meant for you, just went off on a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom