Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonniePeverley

Delta Indian Variant is now starting to hit ... expect a doubling of rates soon.

Absolutely horrific ... covid would be over if it wasn't for this new variant.

DonniePeverley

Honestly? Being at a theme park catered to families, I thought they would leave indoor masks and at least try to compromise with line spacing until the 5-12 year olds were eligible. It's a little wild that the "fill in all available space" has returned virtually overnight.

When cases start to go up, people will start to think twice if there was no safety measures in place. Queuing indoors without masks or social distancing, while rates are going to get high would be offensive.

Trauma

When cases start to go up, people will start to think twice if there was no safety measures in place. Queuing indoors without masks or social distancing, while rates are going to get high would be offensive.
Did you see the numbers someone else just posted?

Almost all the cases are non vaccinated.

The only people who should be worried are the non vaccinated.

Almost no vaccinated person is going to think twice about safety measures.

DisneyCane

I figured they would continue until everyone had the opportunity to get vaccinated.

When restrictions where lifted I was somewhat surprised it felt a touch to early.

That’s why I suspect there was immense pressure on the administration from somewhere , I suspect corporate America.

I would also expect that same pressure is still there pushing to keep any return of restrictions at bay.
By the time they made the guidance change, everybody did have the opportunity to get vaccinated.

Exactly. Data continues to show that being vaccinated puts you at a minuscule risk.

If you are vaccinated you can rest easy and stop playing nanny to the people who make the bad decision not to be vaccinated.

ImperfectPixie

By the time they made the guidance change, everybody did have the opportunity to get vaccinated.

Exactly. Data continues to show that being vaccinated puts you at a minuscule risk.

If you are vaccinated you can rest easy and stop playing nanny to the people who make the bad decision not to be vaccinated.
No, we can't. We need to prevent as many infections as possible in order to prevent as many mutations as possible.

bryanfze55

Quite the contrary. Vaccinated people are the ones who will still think about safety measures… not all vaccinated people, but many will.

Unvaccinated people likely didn’t care about safety measures to begin with.

Trauma

No, we can't. We need to prevent as many infections as possible in order to prevent as many mutations as possible.
Ok Pixie I understand where you are coming from but I need an explanation.

Let’s say that the overwhelming majority of people who are unvaccinated at this point will remain that way.

With Delta even more contagious we know that masks and social distancing will slow but not stop the spread.

It is safe to assume at this point that the non vaccinated will catch covid at some point and be a mutation possibility.

So what does slowing the spread achieve ?

In the end we will have the same number of opportunities for mutation.

If hospitals are overwhelmed then sure slow that spread.

Otherwise you mine as well count every unvaccinated American as another case.

So we should expect what about another 50 millions cases or so?

Trauma

Quite the contrary. Vaccinated people are the ones who will still think about safety measures… not all vaccinated people, but many will.

Unvaccinated people likely didn’t care about safety measures to begin with.
I don’t buy this at all and I can prove it.

I live in a very pro mask area (Chicago) and everyone here was wearing a mask.

I can go to any crowded indoor venue of your choice and record how every much video you want and I promise maybe 1 in 30 people will be masked.

If I where to survey those same people about their feeling on returning to restrictions, I would give you 10-1 odds for any amount of money you want that it will be over 80% will not return to mitigation’s.

Just because there is a very vocal minority of people who want restrictions does not mean it’s going to happen.

LittleBuford

Their symptoms may not be serious enough to change your point (the article is thin on details), but it's worth noting this example in which a 100 vaccinated individuals have tested positive as part of a single outbreak:

ImperfectPixie

Ok Pixie I understand where you are coming from but I need an explanation.

Let’s say that the overwhelming majority of people who are unvaccinated at this point will remain that way.

With Delta even more contagious we know that masks and social distancing will slow but not stop the spread.

It is safe to assume at this point that the non vaccinated will catch covid at some point and be a mutation possibility.

So what does slowing the spread achieve ?

In the end we will have the same number of opportunities for mutation.

If hospitals are overwhelmed then sure slow that spread.

Otherwise you mine as well count every unvaccinated American as another case.

So we should expect what about another 50 millions cases or so?
My hope would be that slowing the spread gives more people the opportunity to see that the vaccines are effective and safe, and that the unfortunate people who DO become infected give those who aren't getting vaccinated a bit of a reality slap. Also, delaying wide-spread spikes in infections gives us a chance to approve vaccines for the under 12 group...which Delta targets in larger numbers than the UK variant did.

If we can get time to be on OUR side, instead of that of the the virus, we could have a shot at getting through this in better shape.

Trauma

Their symptoms may not be serious enough to change your point (the article is thin on details), but it's worth noting this example in which a 100 vaccinated individuals have tested positive as part of a single outbreak:

You are correct it is thin on details.

However it does say that these cases where detected due to routine random testing.

A reasonable person could infer that the majority if not all had no idea they where infected.

Was any one of those infected capable of spreading the virus ?

That’s the question I would love the answer too.

ABQ

Curious how many are currently aboard the ship? Typically, it operates with about 700. If that's the current ship's complement, then wow, 1in 7 testing positive after being fully vaccinated and apparently still wearing masks et al. It could be though, that the ship has over 1,500 aboard if it's fully tricked out for air operations, doubt that's the case though.

Trauma

My hope would be that slowing the spread gives more people the opportunity to see that the vaccines are effective and safe, and that the unfortunate people who DO become infected give those who aren't getting vaccinated a bit of a reality slap. Also, delaying wide-spread spikes in infections gives us a chance to approve vaccines for the under 12 group...which Delta targets in larger numbers than the UK variant did.

If we can get time to be on OUR side, instead of that of the the virus, we could have a shot at getting through this in better shape.
How many anti vax people do you know?

They go from one excuse to another.

Your hope of people changing their mind is a pipe dream.

It will be a statistically inconsequential number of people who suddenly wake up and decide to vaccinate.

LittleBuford

Curious how many are currently aboard the ship? Typically, it operates with about 700. If that's the current ship's complement, then wow, 1in 7 testing positive after being fully vaccinated and apparently still wearing masks et al. It could be though, that the ship has over 1,500 aboard if it's fully tricked out for air operations, doubt that's the case though.
The article says the ship is leading a deployment that has a total of 3,700 personnel, but that doesn't answer your question about how many people are on the ship itself.

ImperfectPixie

How many anti vax people do you know?

They go from one excuse to another.

Your hope of people changing their mind is a pipe dream.

It will be a statistically inconsequential number of people who suddenly wake up and decide to vaccinate.
I dunno about that...Delta is targeting younger demographics, and they're getting just as sick. A big part of the problem among those younger age groups is that they haven't seen anyone they know suffer under COVID.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don’t buy this at all and I can prove it.

I live in a very pro mask area (Chicago) and everyone here was wearing a mask.

I can go to any crowded indoor venue of your choice and record how every much video you want and I promise maybe 1 in 30 people will be masked.

If I where to survey those same people about their feeling on returning to restrictions, I would give you 10-1 odds for any amount of money you want that it will be over 80% will not return to mitigation’s.

Just because there is a very vocal minority of people who want restrictions does not mean it’s going to happen.

The problem with your survey is selection bias. The people who are concerned about the lack of safety measures will likely not be in a crowded indoor venue. I totally agree with the top. Vaccinated people probably care more about safety measures then unvaccinated people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom