Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

This article, which is not at all designed to panic people, neglected to point out that, in cases per 100k for the week, the under 12 age group (0% vaccinated) is essentially the same as the 60-64 age group (73% vaccinated). It continue to show that very young people have some kind of natural resistance to SARS-CoV-2 or at least a natural resistance to any kind of somewhat severe illness resulting from it.

We also need to stop calling positive tests "cases." Testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 is not the same as having a case of COVID-19. If 5 billion people were asymptomatically infected with SARS-CoV-2, it wouldn't be a health crisis.
How about we stop comparing relative groups and if one is worse than the other call one of them good. Let's evaluate them each on their own. Not good in the absolute is still a problem even when it's not as bad as another group.

Can we also stop pretending that 2%, 1%, or less than 99% is a small number and effectively nothing? Can we realize that the difference between 99.00000% and 99.99999% is enormous. Especially when it's applied to a very large number.

That article said "Nationwide, fewer than 2% of pediatric COVID-19 cases have led to hospitalizations.". Which sounds "small", but it's not. Based on overall vaccination, we can assume that eventually all 28,000,000 kids age 5 to 11 will be infected eventually. Hopefully, they'll be approved for vaccination before that happens, but let's assume for now they will not. If we assume, "fewer than 2%" is really 0.05% because we're being super generous and assuming it's really bad reporting, that's still 14,000 kids that end up in the hospital. That's 14,000 parents that have a really bad experience. Why wouldn't a parent do something to avoid being one of those?

Heppenheimer

Thanks for the puppy pictures!

Have there been many people who need to miss work the day after the first shot of an mRNA vaccine? Everybody who I know that had anything more than a sore arm, the other symptoms were all after shot #2.
The sick reaction is far less common with the first shot, but it does occur often enough that it's worth a warning.

DCBaker

Premium Member
In a news briefing late this morning, Mayor Demings shared the latest on the numbers in Orange County.

The current 14-day rolling positivity rate for Orange County is 5.99%. Up 1.89 points from the last briefing.

On Vaccinations -

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 12.13.28 PM.png

Dr. Pino notes the highest number of positive cases are in people between the ages of 15-34.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Dr. Pino also gives some raw numbers from February 6th through June 22 -

There were 185 deaths - out of those, 177 were unvaccinated.

There were 530 hospitalizations - out of those, 506 were unvaccinated.
This is the type of info that should be put on billboards. Maybe that would finally get the unvaccinated to have it sink in how much lower thier risk would be if they got vaccinated. Over 95% of deaths from roughly half the population.

If it is 50/50 vaccinated vs. unvaccinated that means the vaccines are over 95.5% effective in preventing death from COVID.

It could be higher since some of the vaccinated who died may not have been fully vaccinated yet. It would also calculate higher if under 50% of the population was vaccinated which is pretty much guaranteed given the time frame.

Heelz2315

Is there a consensus on when/if the restrictions will be re implemented at WDW? I have a trip planned in August and November. And I'm hoping for both to be mask free. The rising case #'s make me wonder if things will change/revert back.

Wendy Pleakley

Is there a consensus on when/if the restrictions will be re implemented at WDW? I have a trip planned in August and November. And I'm hoping for both to be mask free. The rising case #'s make me wonder if things will change/revert back.

Based on the actions of those in charge in Florida, I would find this extremely unlikely.

My personal guess is, if cases really spike the most you'd see is a vaccine requirement to enter the parks.

Heelz2315

Showing a vaccine card would not be an issue. We're all vaccinated. So y'all think things will stay pretty much like they are now (back to normal) for the foreseeable future?

correcaminos

That would be a problem in Florida.
From what I understand after reading about cruises, they can ask for proof of vaccine, but cannot deny entry without it. If one does not have it, they can distinguish and require masks. I think Celebrity was doing special wrist bands for vaccinated so they had access to vaccinated only areas too.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
From what I understand after reading about cruises, they can ask for proof of vaccine, but cannot deny entry without it. If one does not have it, they can distinguish and require masks. I think a celebrity was doing special wrist bands for vaccinated so they had access to vaccinated only areas too.
Maybe, but the poster was specifically asking about WDW and the person answering mentioned a vaccination requirement to enter the parks.

Epcotfan21

Showing a vaccine card would not be an issue. We're all vaccinated. So y'all think things will stay pretty much like they are now (back to normal) for the foreseeable future?
I think so. You might see more "recommendations" if cases continue to rise, but I highly doubt they revert back.

Salted Nut Roll

Thanks for the puppy pictures!

Have there been many people who need to miss work the day after the first shot of an mRNA vaccine? Everybody who I know that had anything more than a sore arm, the other symptoms were all after shot #2.
I made sure to schedule my 2nd Moderna shot for a Friday evening, since I don't work weekends, just in case. And I'm glad I did! My first shot was fine--sore arm and slight headache. But on the afternoon after my 2nd one, I got hit with the full side-effects package: nausea, chills, and a fever of 103 degrees! Temp finally went down to a manageable 100 later that night, and by the next morning it was normal, though I still felt lethargic and kind of icky all day. And to my knowledge I have not had covid. The general consensus among the friends and other people I talked to was that the 2nd dose made almost all of them feel sick to some degree, though not as sick as I was. (Except for my brother and his girlfriend; they didn't have any negative reactions at all) But the effects were generally short-lived, and we're all glad to have gotten fully-vaccinated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom