Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I am starting to get concerned myself with Delta.

Reason being is that they are forcing us into the office beginning of July and about half of the company won't get vaccinated.

They are attempting to say that's not a concern because masking will be mandatory....but only when walking away from our desk in the break room. I.e., I will be in a small room, with just a cubicle wall, surrounded in the same air, all day, with maskless people. Sigh. I'm not worried about dying, but I am worried about getting sick or catching a resistant strain.
Straight from the Andy Slavitt, former White House senior adviser for Covid-19 response: "If you have been vaccinated, you have very little to worry about".

In regards to the Delta variant.

Bill in Atlanta

What can the government do to promote better overall health?

One big answer is to make sure everyone has access to health care.

I was referring more to precautionary measures in the dietary/fitness areas that people could've done for themselves. Imagine a big PR campaign of "here are 3 things you can do right now to give your body the best chance to survive against this virus, if you happen to get it."

We stressed the hygiene and distancing part, but not the "give your body everything it needs to win this potential battle" part. And when I say "we", I mean society, govt officials, anyone with influence.

hopemax

So the answer to my question is... yes it’s possible.

(I’m not saying possible = likely).
Yes.

Although, this is one of those times where the "don't borrow trouble" idiom applies. Not like we can do anything about it at this point. Unless anyone is unvaccinated. Then, since full-regimen Pfizer looks good to go against Delta, go get your Pfizer shots! In the US, you have enough time as long as you avoid 4th of July gatherings and other high risk activities in areas where Delta may already be lurking.

Heppenheimer

I'd be curious to how many people received which type/brand.

So far the US numbers don't support the notion that the Delta has invaded the country yet or the vaccines. Absolutely could change but right now I still have optimism as the title suggests. 👍
Nope, it's definitely in the US:

Those who are fully vaccinated appear to be protected against it, however.

Heppenheimer

I was referring more to precautionary measures in the dietary/fitness areas that people could've done for themselves. Imagine a big PR campaign of "here are 3 things you can do right now to give your body the best chance to survive against this virus, if you happen to get it."

We stressed the hygiene and distancing part, but not the "give your body everything it needs to win this potential battle" part. And when I say "we", I mean society, govt officials, anyone with influence.
Or, we have been doing that for decades, but people just don't listen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We have reached 65% of adults with 1 shot as of yesterday. Seems unlikely we get to 70% by July 4th at this point, but yesterday was an increase from 64.7% to 65% which represents around 600K additional adult first doses. We aren’t quite done yet.
BA697E54-5DB6-423D-8E4A-CA628A4778A2.png

mmascari

Reason being is that they are forcing us into the office beginning of July and about half of the company won't get vaccinated.
Half?

That's super depressing. Where's the optimistic item in this post? Like, you'll get to see your office chair and it's probably missed you.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

There's a depressing number of counties in the "below 30%" vaccinated.

On the optimistic note, my county isn't one of them. We're at 65.5% of population vaccinated. Might be close enough, might need to find those 4 already over 70% of population vaccinated.

For all those living in areas under 30% or 40%, I think I heard Delta say "Hold my beer". 🥺

SamusAranX

Half?

That's super depressing. Where's the optimistic item in this post? Like, you'll get to see your office chair and it's probably missed you.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

There's a depressing number of counties in the "below 30%" vaccinated.

On the optimistic note, my county isn't one of them. We're at 65.5% of population vaccinated. Might be close enough, might need to find those 4 already over 70% of population vaccinated.

For all those living in areas under 30% or 40%, I think I heard Delta say "Hold my beer". 🥺
Actually, they let me take my office chair with for WFH as it's super comfy. :p

mmascari

Actually, they let me take my office chair with for WFH as it's super comfy. :p
Now I'm super jealous. That's the only thing I miss from the office. I may have to break down and spend what feels like an unreasonable amount on an office chair. If I read this forum enough on it, I can call it part of a Disney vacation, where money doesn't matter and never read the final bill total. :cool:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It is done at least for kids. I’ve seen first hand the efforts made to teach kids at the elementary school level about healthy eating and the benefits of exercise. There was an effort made to provide healthy lunches at school for kids in need. That program came under fire recently but it’s critical to getting kids the proper nutrition they need at an early age and for many of those kids it’s the only healthy food they get. Much more effort is needed on that front but unless we want the government to ban unhealthy foods for everyone they can’t do much to stop adults from eating how they want.

As far as hygiene, distancing and masks those things were done on an emergency basis to slow the spread. I don’t disagree that if we as a society were in better shape there would likely have been less hospitalizations and death, but it wouldn’t have changed spread. We would have still needed those temporary restrictions.

hopemax

I am starting to get concerned myself with Delta.

They are attempting to say that's not a concern because masking will be mandatory....but only when walking away from our desk in the break room. I.e., I will be in a small room, with just a cubicle wall, surrounded in the same air, all day, with maskless people. Sigh. I'm not worried about dying, but I am worried about getting sick or catching a resistant strain.
Just work on your smug, "what did you think was gonna happen / I don't want to hear it" face, whenever any co-worker starts complaining about any symptoms. (mild illness) or your concerned "did you think everyone was lying about the seriousness / nobody wanted this to happen to you" face if anyone finds themselves dealing with something more serious.

The more worrying thing will be how much extra work you have to take on because several people are out sick and you're not. There should be an office rule, if someone has to take on your work because you are unvaccinated and out with covid, you have to bring them breakfast/lunches for the length of time you were out.

The resistant strain won't be Delta, so you can put aside that fear in the short term.

Touchdown

Pfizer and AZ, assuming you’ve had both doses are highly effective against delta. One shot of either is not.

If your vaccinated, best case scenario as delta hits, it’s not a big deal for the country. Realistically worse case scenario you get see first time what survival of the fittest means.

Flugell

I’m happy to join the optimistic element of this thread!

The delta variant is the dominant one in the U.K.- Correct.
We are having an increase in infections- Correct 11,007 in the U.K. today
Deaths are increasing -79 in the last week of which 19 were today.

So why the optimism?
1. We are now in a position to vaccinate all over 18’s from today.
2. There is no drop off in people wanting to be vaccinated.
3. There are pop up centres being sent to areas with high infection levels and people are queuing round the block for their vaccinations.
4. My 27 year old son waited for over an hour last Friday at a pop up centre, he had only been in the eligible age group for less than 7 days and was given the Pfizer jab.
5. The sun has shone today and yesterday- a rare event in Manchester U.K.!
6. The football is on TV for most of the day and Wales are doing well (so far)

I rest my case!!

Tom P.

Nonsense. The data clearly supports this new variant is going to hit the USA hard like the UK. The UK is using Astra Zeneca and Pfizer. The USA using Pfizer and moderna. The only difference is the Astra Zeneca vaccine. Both countries have high vaccination rates, but also have similar traits of large unvaccinated sectors of people.

The only difference being the USA is still at around 10% Delta, where as the UK is now full 100% Delta. I'm sure the US are looking at the UK numbers with alarm.
What data? I have yet to see any data from you to back up your doom-and-gloom claims.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Nope, it's definitely in the US:

Those who are fully vaccinated appear to be protected against it, however.
I'm scared of Delta variant will be more dangerous in USA soon....No masks I don't want to wear it anymore for rest for my life.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom