Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

Don’t worry. They’ll be boosters. I wonder how many times they can incentivize people to get a damn shot.
I'm not convinced that there will be boosters, or at least not as frequently as some are saying. Right now, it's all speculation. So far, there have been no studies showing people who have been vaccinated who later lost the immunity. Covid and the Covid vaccines just haven't been around long enough. They are taking an educated guess and also trying to be prepared in case boosters are necessary. But there is no data yet that actually says they will be.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not convinced that there will be boosters, or at least not as frequently as some are saying. Right now, it's all speculation. So far, there have been no studies showing people who have been vaccinated who later lost the immunity. Covid and the Covid vaccines just haven't been around long enough. They are taking an educated guess and also trying to be prepared in case boosters are necessary. But there is no data yet that actually says they will be.
So far the studies from people naturally infected show there are still anti-bodies a year later. The studies showed that the more severe the infection the higher level of antibodies remaining. All of the people in the study who were hospitalized showed high levels but the level of coverage decreased in people who were younger and/or mildly infected. The vaccines are designed to simulate to your immune system a full blown Covid case so should work as well or even better than the people with severe infections.

On the variant front, so far none have been completely resistant to the vaccines. Some variants showed a decrease in the effectiveness, but none were ineffective. If a variant emerges that is truly vaccine resistant a booster would be needed ASAP.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report - with today's update, Florida has crossed over 17 million doses administered.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 2.26.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 2.27.01 PM.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So far the studies from people naturally infected show there are still anti-bodies a year later. The studies showed that the more severe the infection the higher level of antibodies remaining. All of the people in the study who were hospitalized showed high levels but the level of coverage decreased in people who were younger and/or mildly infected. The vaccines are designed to simulate to your immune system a full blown Covid case so should work as well or even better than the people with severe infections.

On the variant front, so far none have been completely resistant to the vaccines. Some variants showed a decrease in the effectiveness, but none were ineffective. If a variant emerges that is truly vaccine resistant a booster would be needed ASAP.

The question is, how long would it take to produce and administer the booster?

Jlwise2021

Today’s Orange County report looks good with the positivity rate for yesterday still under 4%, and the rolling average well around 5%, though I know the Mayor is using something different (excluding rapid tests I think).
E98E14B3-20E0-4A32-AE41-E1CF2FADF086.jpeg

correcaminos

They were already ready working on that if needed. For Pfizer I was told they were running tests on Phase 1 only so they'd likely be ready to go. But for now we don't need them so it hasn't gone any further.

Heppenheimer

Using the mRNA technique, not long at all. They just need to know the complete amino acid sequence of the spike protein variants, backwards code them into mRNA and multiply the sequence exponentially through a PCR machine. The beauty of the mRNA technique is how easily you can make them.

Wendy Pleakley

Any concern that booster shots could impact global vaccine supplies in general?

There are countries that have barely started vaccinating, and are counting on supplies from the "have" countries once they inoculate their own population, but by the time that happens will they already be trying to produce third shots?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Design won’t take long at all thanks to mRNA and I imagine they could ramp up in the same facilities used today so manufacturing would be quick to ramp up too. Assuming both Pfizer and Moderna were involved they have shown they are capable of delivering over 100M doses a month combined so 2 to 3 months for enough doses for everyone who wants one. Assuming a pace of 4M+ doses a day administered we could be done in about the same amount of time. So roughly 2-3 months after they start delivering the vaccine boosters we could have everyone who wants one vaccinated.

In Disney terms if they started today the US population could be done with the boosters in time for the 50th Anniversary :)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Any concern that booster shots could impact global vaccine supplies in general?

There are countries that have barely started vaccinating, and are counting on supplies from the "have" countries once they inoculate their own population, but by the time that happens will they already be trying to produce third shots?
It depends on what happens with the patent waiver fight. There are plenty of places all over the world that can start ramping up manufacturing of the Pfizer or Moderna or AstraZenneca vaccines if they are allowed.

Chi84

Premium Member
Today, Illinois' infection rate has nearly reached the lowest point ever reported during the pandemic (it's at 2.2%) - a 40% drop from two weeks ago. We have nearly 40% fully vaccinated and about 65% with at least one shot. Vaccination rates have leveled off at about 77,000 per day, with some pretty wide fluctuation day to day.

Just got back from grocery shopping at Mariano's. The sign on the door says "Masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated persons." Almost all the shoppers were wearing masks (I assume either they weren't vaccinated, didn't know about the change, or chose to wear a mask). But we saw several employees who were not wearing masks, so the revised policy obviously applies to them. It was such a great feeling to be able to shop without wearing one.

dreday3

Today, Illinois' infection rate has nearly reached the lowest point ever reported during the pandemic (it's at 2.2%) - a 40% drop from two weeks ago. We have nearly 40% fully vaccinated and about 65% with at least one shot. Vaccination rates have leveled off at about 77,000 per day, with some pretty wide fluctuation day to day.

Just got back from grocery shopping at Mariano's. The sign on the door says "Masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated persons." Almost all the shoppers were wearing masks (I assume either they weren't vaccinated, didn't know about the change, or chose to wear a mask). But we saw several employees who were not wearing masks, so the revised policy obviously applies to them. It was such a great feeling to be able to shop without wearing one.

At Jewel today one of the ladies who works there told us they were instructed not to tell customers to put their masks on.
The sign are still on the doors, everyone still had their masks on. But it seems you can go in without one now and no one who works there will say anything.

I'll wait until I see more people without masks before we shop without one. I don't want some customer saying something to me.

Chi84

Premium Member
At Jewel today one of the ladies who works there told us they were instructed not to tell customers to put their masks on.
The sign are still on the doors, everyone still had their masks on. But it seems you can go in without one now and no one who works there will say anything.

I'll wait until I see more people without masks before we shop without one. I don't want some customer saying something to me.
My husband and I were not wearing masks, and no one even seemed to notice. It may have helped that at least 5 employees (including one manager) were very visible and not wearing masks. Contrary to what you see on social media, most people mind their own business and try to avoid confrontation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Design won’t take long at all thanks to mRNA and I imagine they could ramp up in the same facilities used today so manufacturing would be quick to ramp up too. Assuming both Pfizer and Moderna were involved they have shown they are capable of delivering over 100M doses a month combined so 2 to 3 months for enough doses for everyone who wants one. Assuming a pace of 4M+ doses a day administered we could be done in about the same amount of time. So roughly 2-3 months after they start delivering the vaccine boosters we could have everyone who wants one vaccinated.

In Disney terms if they started today the US population could be done with the boosters in time for the 50th Anniversary :)

Yes, but wouldn't the booster need to go through the same trial process as the original vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom