Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

The one thing that everyone has to agree on is that the US has Covid19 on the run as we have had 3 consecutive days with less than 30,000 new cases.
Well, we've said that before in May 2020 and August 2020. Hopefully it's real this time!

(I still remember being relatively convinced that we would be able to go on our Memorial Day WDW trip last year... obviously that was misplaced optimism.)

seascape

Well, we've said that before in May 2020 and August 2020. Hopefully it's real this time!

(I still remember being relatively convinced that we would be able to go on our Memorial Day WDW trip last year... obviously that was misplaced optimism.)
The difference between today and last year is the vaccine. Thanks to the scientists and pharmaceutical companies we will win this now. Even NY is down to 9. The reason for the drop this time haa nothing to do with masks and social distancing, even though they help, it's the vaccine and that we have well over half the adults vaccinated. We have 14 more days of reporting this month and it will be interesting to see how low it in on May 31. I predict 6 per 100,000 but wouldn't be shocked with a lower number. It all depends on Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington and Colorado. Those 5 states represent 28.55% of the US cases.

drizgirl

Except there was no vaccine back then. No reason to believe it would hold. There is a very specific reason to be optimistic now. Let yourself be optimistic.

fgmnt

Except there was no vaccine back then. No reason to believe it would hold. There is a very specific reason to be optimistic now. Let yourself be optimistic.
Not only that, the system for testing was not as accessible in May of 2020 as it is in May of 2021. It's theoretically a lot easier to find and confirm cases now than it was a year ago, yet it's not happening.

correcaminos

I get your point. We had a late May/early June trip. I was hopeful until they started cancelling our ADRs and such :(

I do think it is so different with the vaccine though. We leave for an early June trip (take 5 I think lol). I am very confident in this trip finally!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like Home Depot has joined the masks not required for vaccinated customers on the honor system bandwagon. I think CVS also.

I'd imagine Lowes and Walgreens will be close behind.

Yes, CVS also adopted this. I am a little surprised at that. You would think one of the places you would like to have a strict mask mandate is a place where you want unvaccinated people to go to get vaccinated.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, it's Jersey so I wouldn't get too hopeful. They are still hesitant when it comes to pumping gas on their own. LOL

An idea that other states might want to consider.... ;)

1621345419575.png

mmascari

The 7 day average of cases in the US fell another 3% yesterday to 32,032. The number of states in single digits per 100,000 is now 29 with 4 more at 10. Unfortunately, Michigan and Colorado are still at 20 and Florida still at 15. With a little luck maybe tomorrow's report will have no states in the 20's and 30 or more in single digits. The one thing that everyone has to agree on is that the US has Covid19 on the run as we have had 3 consecutive days with less than 30,000 new cases.
Any guess when most will be below 3.1/100,000 cases and 0.05/100,000 deaths?

I'll feel much better taking my unvaccinated kids unmasked everywhere once we hit that. My county is almost there at 4 and 0.08. However, they kids tell me they would like to see things outside the county. Clearly they're spoiled.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Any guess when most will be below 3.1/100,000 cases and 0.05/100,000 deaths?

I'll feel much better taking my unvaccinated kids unmasked everywhere once we hit that. My county is almost there at 4 and 0.08. However, they kids tell me they would like to see things outside the county. Clearly they're spoiled.
I think sooner than we thought. The drop off happens fast. In states that hit the tipping point on vaccines we will hit that point soon. For the states further behind it may not happen at all. They may plateau at a higher number of cases.

Yesterday was the first time that all 50 states had declines in covid cases. Trending down across the board. Keep up the jabs and this will all be over soon :)

Last edited:

ABQ

I think sooner than we thought. The drop off happens fast. In states that hit the tipping point on vaccines we will hit that point soon. For the states further behind it may not happen at all. They may plateau at a higher number of cases.

Yesterday was the first time that all 50 states had declines in covid cases. Trending down across the board. Keep up the jabs and this will all be over soon :)
incredible example of how fast the tipping point impacts things. I know, I'm going back to the same well of Statnews, but the visual is dramatic in Michigan
1621347949908.png

havoc315

The 5/7 number you post (715,000) is the number of first dosages on May 7, not the "7 day rolling average". Per the CDC, the 7-day moving average on May 7 was 650,964. Please refer to the following chart from the CDC:

View attachment 557038

Depending on the day of the week, there is a great deal of variance. Therefore, you should look at this in whole week increments.

The most recent day that the CDC reported a moving average is May 7. I'll use that as the end date, and count backwards week-by-week.

This results in the following 7-day moving averages as reported by the CDC (with percent drop from previous week), for those receiving a first dose:
  • April 9: 1,831,161
  • April 16: 1,547,994 (15.5% drop)
  • April 23: 1,134,806 (26.7% drop)
  • April 30: 918,792 (19.0% drop)
  • May 7: 650,964 (29.1% drop)
As you note, we need to focus on those receiving first doses. This tells us how many additional people are being vaccinated per day, on average, for that week.

As you suggest, second doses are a trailing indicator and will lag behind those receiving first doses. For example, for the week of April 16, the 7-day moving average was 1,547,994 receiving a first dose each day. This is significantly more than those receiving a first dose for the week of May 7. Chances are, there were more people receiving a second dose for the week of May 7 than who received a first dose for that same week.

From April 9 to May 7, we've gone from a daily first dose average of 1,831,161 to 650,964. Together, these two numbers tell us the decline in first doses over this timespan.

For those interested where this data is coming from, I encourage you to visit the below CDC page and then filter on "People Receiving Dose 1".

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-trends

It's wonderful to see life returning to "normal" in many places, it's wonderful to see cases continue to drop.
And some "regions" may be starting to feel borderline herd immunity effects.

To be clear, even just vaccinating 30-40% of people.. combined with seasonality, was going to lead to huge decreases in cases. But true herd immunity brings us to where Israel is:

Israel's 7-day rolling average is down to 28 cases per day. If you scaled that to the US, you would be talking about UNDER 1,000 cases per day.

With proper vaccination and mitigation until we get there, that's where the US could have been headed.

Sadly, the vaccination numbers continue to plummet, even with 12-15 added:

The last full 7-day average number available is now May May 12, 2021-- when we were averaging a mere 545,000 first doses per day. It appears there was a small bump after that, the 12-15 year-olds, but a very small and very temporary bump.

As per above: May 7: average was 651,000
May 12: 545,000 first doses: 16% drop in under a week.

Also consider, many of these doses are now going to under 18. If we measured adults only, the drop-off would be even more significant.

With the huge relaxation of mitigation -- The vibe I'm getting now is people acting like, "oh, it's over, guess I don't need to get vaccinated after all"

It's going to be quite a challenge (not impossible) to reach 70% of adults vaccinated.

Now, that number is somewhat arbitrary. I don't know what actual number will be required to get to herd immunity. It's possible that we get to herd immunity without that 70%.
But I fear/suspect, that Covid will continue to persist at low but not insignificant levels in areas with low vaccination. We are already seeing this in much of the deep south, where Covid cases are not really dropping very fast, just persisting at a lower flat level than previously.

ABQ

It's wonderful to see life returning to "normal" in many places, it's wonderful to see cases continue to drop.
And some "regions" may be starting to feel borderline herd immunity effects.

To be clear, even just vaccinating 30-40% of people.. combined with seasonality, was going to lead to huge decreases in cases. But true herd immunity brings us to where Israel is:

Israel's 7-day rolling average is down to 28 cases per day. If you scaled that to the US, you would be talking about UNDER 1,000 cases per day.

With proper vaccination and mitigation until we get there, that's where the US could have been headed.

Sadly, the vaccination numbers continue to plummet, even with 12-15 added:

The last full 7-day average number available is now May May 12, 2021-- when we were averaging a mere 545,000 first doses per day. It appears there was a small bump after that, the 12-15 year-olds, but a very small and very temporary bump.

As per above: May 7: average was 651,000
May 12: 545,000 first doses: 16% drop in under a week.

Also consider, many of these doses are now going to under 18. If we measured adults only, the drop-off would be even more significant.

With the huge relaxation of mitigation -- The vibe I'm getting now is people acting like, "oh, it's over, guess I don't need to get vaccinated after all"

It's going to be quite a challenge (not impossible) to reach 70% of adults vaccinated.

Now, that number is somewhat arbitrary. I don't know what actual number will be required to get to herd immunity. It's possible that we get to herd immunity without that 70%.
But I fear/suspect, that Covid will continue to persist at low but not insignificant levels in areas with low vaccination. We are already seeing this in much of the deep south, where Covid cases are not really dropping very fast, just persisting at a lower flat level than previously.
We are dosing pretty hard and fast here in NM and still have that same flat case count and though our governor removed much mask requirements just last week, we had be mitigating like it was 2020 for till then and the cases are just flat. Maybe it's the virus being a virus, but with each day that passes as long as some portion of the population gets added to the vaxxed population, those cases will hopefully be mild, not extreme.

Chi84

Premium Member
NJ is a pretty crazy drop off too. It snowballs fast...similar to the surge in cases when a new wave started in the past.
Illinois has somewhat less than 13 million people, and there have been 11 million doses administered. The 37% fully vaccinated number is deceptive when you consider how highly effective the two-shot vaccines are - people are receiving much more protection than the average flu shot provides after just one dose of those vaccines. One thing I wonder about is how many of those people don't return for the second shot and will therefore never be counted among the fully vaccinated. They are still helping to drop the cases. Our numbers are improving quite a bit every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom