Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I suspect that once the seasonality aspect of COVID returns, you'll see a sharp difference in regions that will correlate with the vaccination rates.
Even in states with lower vaccination rates we should see a big impact in cases. It’s not like the vaccines do nothing and then suddenly kick in at 70% vaccinated. There are tipping points where cases shoot down faster but even having 30-40% of the population vaccinated will hopefully avoid the major new waves that were inevitable without a vaccine. I agree that there will be areas with lower vaccination rates where the potential for seasonal outbreaks will be high. It is a little concerning that there are a handful of states where more than a quarter of the 65+ population is vaccinated. That leaves the door open for hospital shortages and a lot of unnecessary death.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've been wrong about plenty, often happily so. So far, I'm not wrong about what I said about summer: Go back to the February earnings call, I quoted Chapek, that some level of masking and social distancing would remain for the summer. So far, that's correct -- But I am now hopeful that both masking and social distancing will be completely gone by July. And I'll very very happily accept being wrong!

I also said I expected much of the WDW "abnormal" to continue through the summer, because it wasn't directly related to Covid. So far, I've been correct -- EMH was cancelled, River of Light and Finding Nemo, permanently cancelled shows. The opening of Space 220 delayed, still multiple resorts and restaurants with no re-opening dates. No apparent return of FP (possibly gone forever). So as I said, much of the "abnormal" is continuing over the summer, some of it potentially permanently.
I'm hoping I was wrong about all that as well -- Hope they bring back the full Halloween party, full night-time EMH, fast passes, Rivers of Light, etc.
I don’t know what will be back or what won’t for the Summer. I agree that almost nothing will be restricted due to Covid mitigations by some point this Summer and that’s what I said I hoped for even back in February. No capacity limits, no distancing (3 feet now but in most cases that’s really not different than normal), no masks outdoors and likely none indoors at some point this Summer too. We did hit a home run with the vaccine rollout and we have gotten to this point much faster than many people thought we would. Definitely something to be celebrated.

ParentsOf4

I'm not taking the bet, but I think it hinders on how much the management cares about a-holes berating the cast members who try to enforce the mask rules indoors and in queues. Either they go back to 100% masked or remove it entirely. May also depend on how vaccinated the cast are.
Having been at WDW since they changed their mask requirement, I have not seen a misbehaving Guest, so far.

“So far” is the key.

The overwhelming majority of us at WDW booked our trips expecting to wear masks all the time.

Give it a month or two when thousands who have not been wearing masks at Walmart, Target, etc. start to show up at WDW expecting the same “freedom”.

The vast majority will behave well, but I am waiting to read about the self-entitled moron getting kicked out, screaming it’s his “right” not to wear a mask on Tower of Terror...

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I don’t know what will be back or what won’t for the Summer. I agree that almost nothing will be restricted due to Covid mitigations by some point this Summer and that’s what I said I hoped for even back in February. No capacity limits, no distancing (3 feet now but in most cases that’s really not different than normal), no masks outdoors and likely none indoors at some point this Summer too. We did hit a home run with the vaccine rollout and we have gotten to this point much faster than many people thought we would. Definitely something to be celebrated.

What do you make of that news?

ABQ

Having been at WDW since they changed their mask requirement, I have not seen a misbehaving Guest so far.

“So far” is the key.

The overwhelming majority of us at WDW booked our trips expecting to wear masks all the time.

Give it a month or two when thousands who have no been wearing masks at Walmart, Target, etc. start to show up at WDW expecting the same “freedom”.

The vast majority will behave well, but I am waiting to read about the self-entitled moron getting kicked out, screaming it’s his “right” not to wear a mask on Tower of Terror...
I agree, most, by an overwhelming majority, I assume, are following all rules, but it's always the real jerks that ruin things.
Example, saw this on Reddit this morning:

1621354016149.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

correcaminos

I don't know if it qualifies as a "game changer", but Ohio did have an uptick in adult vaccines after announcing the 5x million dollar lottery giveaway. So if more states did something similar perhaps it would have a national effect.

My libertarian-leaning BIL is fairly incensed by this use of tax dollars. I remind him that if people like him had gotten vaccinated int he first place, we wouldn't need incentives.
I'm totally cool with more incentives here too!

havoc315

99% agreed. Using the Disney definition of summer (which starts in 2 weeks), I do think we will have some Covid restrictions through early summer. By mid to late summer, my Covid mitigation expectations (or at least they will claim it is due to Covid mitigation):
- Still no buffets
- Still no character meets
- Still no baby sitting services
- Masking might remain in indoor theater-type settings, monorails, buses, but that will likely disappear at some point too
- Question of when regular Mousekeeping returns. It's technically Covid mitigation, but affected by staffing issues.

And my major hope: They eliminate restaurant distancing, which severely is hampering restaurant capacity. Of course, they will need to find enough staff for restaurants if they do increase capacity.

And non-Covid related, at least not directly:
- Don't expect all resorts to re-open before late summer or fall.
- Some restaurants may remain closed due more to staffing issues. (this includes Space 220, which really should have been open by now)
- Doubtful that the full array of entertainment, shows, parades, returns before late summer/fall.
-Doubtful that FP returns in any form before late summer/fall
-EMH---> Early entry... Suspect this summer at some point, but really no firm idea of when
- Dining plan -- I don't expect for the rest of this fiscal year

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as Texas doing so well with low vaccination rate.

I can only imagine that it's herd immunity combo (for now) that was reached with vaccines and so many people contracting COVID and gaining the more permanent T-Cell immunity. Otherwise to me, it defies explanation as of now.
It’s not really all that surprising. Cases have dropped throughout the pandemic without any vaccinations. Even though TX is near the bottom on percent vaccinated they still aren’t at zero. 41% of their total population have 1 dose so assuming most doses went to adults and 75% of the population is adults more than half of adults have received a shot. If TX was at 25% of adults with 1 shot then it may defy explanation. Over 50% of adults vaccinated combined with some level of natural immunity is still a significant drop in potential hosts.

One word of caution is that TX has had a very low level of the variants circulating. We saw up here in the NE a month or so ago how cases exploded in NY and then spread to the rest of us when the variants took hold. Hopefully due to national vaccination levels the variants are suppressed more and they never get there. If they do we could see a spike, but with 60%+ adults immune due to vaccination and/or natural infection the spike would be shorter lived and much less severe than NY more recently or CA in January.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
99% agreed. Using the Disney definition of summer (which starts in 2 weeks), I do think we will have some Covid restrictions through early summer. By mid to late summer, my Covid mitigation expectations (or at least they will claim it is due to Covid mitigation):
- Still no buffets
- Still no character meets
- Still no baby sitting services
- Masking might remain in indoor theater-type settings, monorails, buses, but that will likely disappear at some point too
- Question of when regular Mousekeeping returns. It's technically Covid mitigation, but affected by staffing issues.

And my major hope: They eliminate restaurant distancing, which severely is hampering restaurant capacity. Of course, they will need to find enough staff for restaurants if they do increase capacity.

And non-Covid related, at least not directly:
- Don't expect all resorts to re-open before late summer or fall.
- Some restaurants may remain closed due more to staffing issues. (this includes Space 220, which really should have been open by now)
- Doubtful that the full array of entertainment, shows, parades, returns before late summer/fall.
-Doubtful that FP returns in any form before late summer/fall
-EMH---> Early entry... Suspect this summer at some point, but really no firm idea of when
- Dining plan -- I don't expect for the rest of this fiscal year
Again I said “some point this Summer” not at the start of Summer for almost all Covid mitigations to be gone. That means if they change it Labor Day weekend it still happened at some point this Summer.

havoc315

Again I said “some point this Summer” not at the start of Summer for almost all Covid mitigations to be gone. That means if they change it Labor Day weekend it still happened at some point this Summer.

Not many would consider September to be "summer" -- Disney considers it "fall." But yes, technically, on the calendar, the first 3 weeks of September are still "summer."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As far as Texas doing so well with low vaccination rate.

I can only imagine that it's herd immunity combo (for now) that was reached with vaccines and so many people contracting COVID and gaining the more permanent T-Cell immunity. Otherwise to me, it defies explanation as of now.

... but Texas didn't have a very high infection rate. In cases per 1 million population they are currently #30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom