Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatesMom

It looks like this is something the CDC is letting people handle on their own. There is no guideline stating that vaccinated people should request proof of vaccination from others or ask them particular questions.

Right now, the recommendation is that vaccinated people avoid medium or large gatherings, so it’s likely the people getting together would know each other well enough to take their word for it.
Actually, the CDC is clear that you do need to track others' vaccination status and understand whether they are potentially high risk before engaging in unmasked interactions:

1619402004454.png

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I insist on continuing to be the one who is optimistic about where we are headed with Covid. And, in that vein, I offer the following perspective from the same doctor whose analysis I quoted a while back. Again, you have to take it that she is just one person on Twitter doing an analysis and she could be wrong. But she is an infectious disease expert at UC San Francisco and San Francisco General Hospital, so she's got the bona fides.

She feels that we have reached the same "inflection point" on cases in the United States that Israel reached several weeks ago, and that we are headed toward plummeting cases as they have seen. Again, she could be wrong, but her analysis and her data seem very solid. And she agrees with @GoofGoof 's analysis of our overall trajectory, so who can go wrong with that? :p

I do sincerely believe that -- despite all of the doom and gloom predictions out there -- that by the end of May, the United States could be in a very different place with Covid.

What this is supposed to mean by end of May?

Tom P.

What this is supposed to mean by end of May?
No one knows for sure, or has any guarantees. But if we are on the same path as Israel, we could see cases drastically reduced over the next several weeks, which could give us an opportunity to start pulling back on some mitigation measures and returning to some normalcy.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No one knows for sure, or has any guarantees. But if we are on the same path as Israel, we could see cases drastically reduced over the next several weeks, which could give us an opportunity to start pulling back on some mitigation measures and returning to some normalcy.
Now by October-December, we think that masks will completely removed as full back to normal if Disney can change that if kids were vaccinated in September.

Chi84

Premium Member
Actually, the CDC is clear that you do need to track others' vaccination status and understand whether they are potentially high risk before engaging in unmasked interactions:

View attachment 551987
That’s true, but the question is how do you “track” it? The CDC has no guideline on that, so it seems they are leaving it up to the individual on that point. I asked my cousin if she and her husband were vaccinated, they said yes and we got together with them. Are you suggesting that the CDC is requiring something more than that? If so, I haven’t seen it, but I’ll admit I didn’t read through the entire site.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I insist on continuing to be the one who is optimistic about where we are headed with Covid. And, in that vein, I offer the following perspective from the same doctor whose analysis I quoted a while back. Again, you have to take it that she is just one person on Twitter doing an analysis and she could be wrong. But she is an infectious disease expert at UC San Francisco and San Francisco General Hospital, so she's got the bona fides.

She feels that we have reached the same "inflection point" on cases in the United States that Israel reached several weeks ago, and that we are headed toward plummeting cases as they have seen. Again, she could be wrong, but her analysis and her data seem very solid. And she agrees with @GoofGoof 's analysis of our overall trajectory, so who can go wrong with that? :p

I do sincerely believe -- despite all of the doom and gloom predictions out there -- that by the end of May, the United States could be in a very different place with Covid.

I love it that an infectious disease expert actually agrees with me. I can say stuff until I’m blue in the face but ultimately I might just be some idiot on a message board saying stupid stuff....she’s got a real PHD and everything. 😜

I am also hopeful that we see some big changes coming from vaccinations soon. It’s no guarantee that we follow that exact trajectory, but it’s something to hope for.

CatesMom

That’s true, but the question is how do you “track” it? The CDC has no guideline on that, so it seems they are leaving it up to the individual on that point. I asked my cousin if she and her husband were vaccinated, they said yes and we got together with them. Are you suggesting that the CDC is requiring something more than that? If so, I haven’t seen it, but I’ll admit I didn’t read through the entire site.
Nope. I'm suggesting that (just as you have done) every interaction should begin with asking if everyone is vaccinated, so that you know what mitigation steps (if any) to follow. That's the direction most of my group conversations these days are going anyway. Vaccination status is the first discussion topic whether we meet on the street, in the grocery store, at someone's home, or (as was the case this weekend) if we take our teen daughters camping.

Chi84

Premium Member
Nope. I'm suggesting that (just as you have done) every interaction should begin with asking if everyone is vaccinated, so that you know what mitigation steps (if any) to follow. That's the direction most of my group conversations these days are going anyway. Vaccination status is the first discussion topic whether we meet on the street, in the grocery store, at someone's home, or (as was the case this weekend) if we take our teen daughters camping.
Excellent way to promote vaccination and discourage hesitancy.

fgmnt

I do sincerely believe -- despite all of the doom and gloom predictions out there -- that by the end of May, the United States could be in a very different place with Covid.

I have discussed it once or twice in here, but I'm a believer that there will be a "wall" soon where we will see cases crater over 2-3 weeks before continuing a very very slow decline. I'm looking forward to being able to see this wall hopefully develop before memorial day.

BlindChow

Probably. I rode Spiderman at universal tonight. They’re still only doing one party per row, but loading all rows. No plexiglass. I don’t know, with the recent development being that it’s 15+ mins for exposure, a 4.5 min ride isn’t really too concerning to me.
That isn't a recent development. That's been a CDC "guideline" for a long time now.

In some ways, it's ridiculous. At my work, when someone came down with Covid they'd look at the security cameras afterwards to do contact tracing "according to CDC guidelines." Basically, if they didn't see you stand right next to a person for 15 straight minutes, they wouldn't inform you that you had been in direct contact with someone with a positive Covid test.

Patcheslee

That isn't a recent development. That's been a CDC "guideline" for a long time now.

In some ways, it's ridiculous. At my work, when someone came down with Covid they'd look at the security cameras afterwards to do contact tracing "according to CDC guidelines." Basically, if they didn't see you stand right next to a person for 15 straight minutes, they wouldn't inform you that you had been in direct contact with someone with a positive Covid test.
Are you my coworker? :oops: It's the same at my job.

Kevin_W

We've only had 2 cases in my workplace, but we've been the opposite - erring on the side of caution. I had to have 2 employees stay home for a few days and get tested after they spent less than 5 minutes near an employee who tested positive. They were probably never closer than 6', both employees were masked, and they were in a highly ventilated area with >6 air changes her hour. but we went with "better safe than sorry".

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The technical rule is 15 cumulative minutes over a 24 hour period so if you work with someone and come in contact for 1 min at a time 16 times in a day that counts as ”close contact”. The main reason for the 15 min distinction is to reduce the number of close contacts amongst people who just passed near each other which is relatively low risk. They had to set a time limit but I don’t think 15 mins is any more scientific than the 6 foot rule. Sorta just a ballpark.

DisneyCane

It's completely dependent upon viral load. The 15 minutes is an estimation of how long it takes to build up to a viral load that will make you sick.
Since the ride is almost continuously moving, there isn't much build up near an infected person anyway. Any viral build up would be inside the building in general. If it got high enough in the building, it doesn't matter if the ride vehicles are full or being done one party per vehicle.

ImperfectPixie

Since the ride is almost continuously moving, there isn't much build up near an infected person anyway. Any viral build up would be inside the building in general. If it got high enough in the building, it doesn't matter if the ride vehicles are full or being done one party per vehicle.
My point is that I wouldn't want to be sitting on a roller coaster behind someone who has COVID who sneezes and isn't wearing a mask. Granted, it would mostly blow into their own face, but it's still not a risk I'd want to take.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with this. Ride vehicle distancing is unnecessary. I always go back to the airplane. If I can sit safely next to a stranger on an airplane for hours (Including times where he or I remove our masks to eat or drink) then I can sit for less than 15 mins (most cases less than 5) on a moving ride. I know airplanes have filtration systems which may be better than a ride show building but that’s negated by the motion and short duration and full masks the entire time.

DisneyCane

View attachment 551987
That's not really what the graphic is saying. It is saying that if you are vaccinated and plan to gather with somebody who is unvaccinated AND at high risk of severe disease then you should take prevention measures. Of course, at this point, if somebody is at high risk of severe disease and they haven't gotten vaccinated yet, they are an idiot (unless they can't be vaccinated for some medical reason).

The bottom image is not indicating that it is necessary for the vaccinated household to take measures since there are now two unvaccinated households. It is indicating measures are necessary because there are now two unvaccinated households interacting with each other. I assume they don't think that the unvaccinated people will take measures if the vaccinated people aren't so they recommend all do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom