Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Other cruise lines can require vaccines and just say “no kids.” I’m not sure how DCL returns before 2022. Maybe if hospitalizations and deaths fall precipitously and don’t rebound for a few months.
I agree...and I don’t honesty think they will return before 6/2022...but too soon to get a read

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought I was clearly being satirical...calling it a “Dollar Tree vaccine”, I would have thought, would set off the “he’s being silly” sensors. I also said I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the vaccine, but that the company monkeying with numbers early on poisoned the well in the USA, dramatically pushing off their Phase III that our government agencies are considering. The combination of those two things will likely render the vaccine unnecessary here, putting it into COVAX.

Keeping more expensive products while donating cheaper ones is commonplace in America. I’m not suggesting that was the goal here, just that it’s what will occur in the end, and it’s an interesting metaphor for America.

The AZ vaccine is cheap. It’s a fact.

View attachment 535147

I’ve got $40 of juice floating through me...

And not only do I feel no different (which is the great) physically...I feel 400% better mentally.

Anyone not wanting these vaccines are nuts. Just for mental health

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Other cruise lines can require vaccines and just say “no kids.” I’m not sure how DCL returns before 2022. Maybe if hospitalizations and deaths fall precipitously and don’t rebound for a few months.
I guess if 16+ are required to be vaccinated, what’s the issue if a kid brings it on board?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess if 16+ are required to be vaccinated, what’s the issue if a kid brings it on board?
Any infection at all on a ship causes an incident...and bars them from ports...and could create quarantine and crew problems.

I assume your playing the straight man here? Or you didn’t follow the cruise difficulties last year?

Cruises are not gonna sail with 1,000 unvaccinated kids with the “they’re fine...no big deal” mantra.

That policy is never gonna get past legal

Miss Bella

Yeah...I think they don’t sail until full vaccinations.

And why is that a problem for Disney? Kids.
There's that but the biggest problem is the borders being closed.

Carnival and Royal actually transport more kids around than Disney. Cruising has become a family affair. The big mega ships with all the kids attractions are their bread and butter. Carnival's new ship has a rollercoaster on the top deck. It's not just an old persons vacation anymore. It will be a problem for all cruise lines.

ToTBellHop

Any infection at all on a ship causes an incident...and bars them from ports...and could create quarantine and crew problems.

I assume your playing the straight man here? Or you didn’t follow the cruise difficulties last year?

Cruises are not gonna sail with 1,000 unvaccinated kids with the “they’re fine...no big deal” mantra.

Well, not until such time as the CDC declares numbers are low enough that we can ditch masks and social distancing even with unvaccinated kids—which is possible, but I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s the only way we are “back to normal by Christmas” as leaders suggest. There’s no chance of kids being widely vaccinated by Christmas. They seem to be in no rush to start younger kid trials. Rush to get a vaccine to market in 11 months and then take a further 13 months to trial it in kids while also developing variant vaccines that may replace your original vaccine by then? Great idea.

Last edited:

havoc315

Well, not until such time as the CDC declares numbers are low enough that we can ditch masks and social distancing even with unvaccinated kids—which is possible, but I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s the only way we are “back to normal by Christmas” as leaders suggest. There’s no chance of kids being widely vaccinated by Christmas. They seem to be in no rush to start younger kid trials. Rush to get a vaccine to market in 11 months and then take a further 13 months to trial it in kids while also developing variant vaccines that may replace your original vaccine by then? Great idea.

Trials with younger kids are already underway. My 13 yo nephew is participating in one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's that but the biggest problem is the borders being closed.

Carnival and Royal actually transport more kids around than Disney. Cruising has become a family affair. The big mega ships with all the kids attractions are their bread and butter. Carnival's new ship has a rollercoaster on the top deck. It's not just an old persons vacation anymore. It will be a problem for all cruise lines.

No I hear you...

But carnival and royal transport more kids due to larger ships/more ships/more runs, no?

Disney has few ships...but I would guess the % of Berths with kids on dcl is quite high.

Would be interesting total numbers to see though? 🤔

Miss Bella

No I hear you...

But carnival and royal transport more kids due to larger ships/more ships/more runs, no?

Disney has few ships...but I would guess the % of Berths with kids on dcl is quite high.

Would be interesting total numbers to see though? 🤔
I've been on Disney cruises with 1400 kids. Yikes!..... and a couple of Transatlantics with 400 kids which by Disney standards is an adult cruise. Carnival brags about transporting the most kids and with the number of ships and cruises they have I tend to believe them.

A lot of the older ships which tended to attract more adults because of the itinerary's have been retired to the ship graveyard. It will be interesting to see how the cruiselines fare when all this is said and done. I'm not really sure how they go about attracting first time cruisers.

After looking at the new terms and conditions I'm not sure I'll ever cruise again. It won't be first activity in my life that I've loved and had to give up. At this point I'm kind of numb to it all.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

I just don’t see that happening in 2021. Your cruise ship has a Covid outbreak among children that is impaired from spreading to its adult population? So do 900 elementary schools with vaccinated teachers (in this not too distant future). In any case, come dock in Florida where the majority of the population seems to be trying to end the pandemic by letting it run its course.

Also we’re not, last I checked, even planning to age the vaccine down past 6 year olds. So DCL seriously cannot wait because they could literally be waiting forever.

Bartattack

Just read that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 2 months ahead of shedule for delivery... They expect to get approved half March (in Europe) ... and would be able to deliver 20 million doses by the end of march. You only need one shot and it can be kept in 'normal' fridge temperature. It's considered a very important vaccine to give a boost for our vaccination program (Belgium)... because of the easier logistics. We should get 280.000 doses in april, 420.000 in may and 700.000 in june.

havoc315

But we are ALONG way from mass vaccination of kids. Fall at the “warp speed” earliest. They are going to be at the back of the line no matter what...and it’s a long line.

Yes, a matter of prioritization as well as safety.

But here is the thing — the danger to children has both been overplayed by some and underplayed by others.
Children are in fact less likely to contract symptomatic disease, and are less likely to transmit it.
Yes kids can get it.. they can transmit it.. they can die or contract serious complications. But their numbers are already reduced compared to adults.
It’s almost as if kids are already vaccinated with a minimally effective vaccine.

Let’s remember — herd immunity protects the entire herd, not just those that get vaccinated. (Probably the greatest misunderstanding is people thinking they take safety measures to protect themselves... but masks, social distancing, and even vaccines... are often more about protecting others even more than protecting yourself).

If we vaccinate enough adults... we can effective eradicate Covid before we even start vaccinating kids.

But that’s why we can rip off the masks the moment optional vaccines become available. Need to continue the extra weeks (hopefully not months) until we actually reach herd immunity or something very close to it.

Going back to basics, it’s about reducing the R0. When the R0 is >1, infection numbers rise. It’s the equivalent of putting your foot on the gas. R0 <1, it’s foot on the brakes, cases drop.
I am currently teaching my son to drive. He had been pressing the brakes too hard... I had to teach him that even lightly tapping the brakes will gradually bring you to a complete and total stop.

For the last year, we’ve been dancing around R0=1. February, we didn’t even know Covid was around in the US, R0=2, cases secretly exploding in the US. Started mitigation measures... R0=0.8... cases dropped. People get together for holidays... restrictions get relaxed... R0 rises to 1.3... many of those who ignores restrictions eventually get some degree of immunity when they get infected.. others become more cautious, R0 of 0.85.

If you vaccinate enough adults. That R0 falls more. You keep masks a little longer, the R0 falls even more. On the other hand, if you drop masks while an insufficient number of people are vaccinated — R0 goes back over 1.

But enough adults vaccinated combined with continued mitigation measures— R0 falls SIGNIFICANTLY under 1.0... when it falls to 0.1.. 0.2... Covid basically disappears in a matter of weeks. Kids and adults become safe.

And getting back to cruise lines... they can adequately protect themselves and guests for now by requiring adults to be vaccinated and kids to have a negative Covid test.

DisneyCane

That started in October and when I say “younger kids”, I mean 11-and-under. Fauci recently said we won’t have results for them until early 2022. Ridiculous.
I wouldn't say it is "ridiculous." It's likely difficulty in getting enough people to sign their kids up for a trial. They need to study a minimum number of people and even the placebo group has to agree as if they are getting the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom