Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

On the vaccination front, it appears that another weapon may be added to our arsenal as early as some time in April. Novavax expects results from its clinical trial by the start of April and if the results are positive their plan is to apply for EUA short.y after. Their UK trial showed 89% efficacy so another highly effective vaccine in the mix possibly by May timeframe. This would be a great insurance policy against possible manufacturing delays from any of the other 3 manufacturers. They haven’t said how many doses would be available when, but the US has purchased 100M doses under the Warp Speed program.

edit: @MansionButler84 called this out already earlier. :)
Is AstraZeneca pretty much dead in the water at this point?

mmascari

If you think it’s highly effective why are you advocating those of us who have completed their course not change their routine?
I would like to minimize how often the virus and any mutations are exposed to someone who is vaccinated. For the same reasons that antibiotics aren't given out like candy at the first sign of infection, to avoid selecting for resistant strains.

Even with people following their current routines, there's more than enough exposure happening already.

For a vaccinated person, exposures that are most likely to lead to nothing, and hence reduce spread. Once spread is reduced enough, chances of anyone, including a vaccinated person having an interaction with the virus will be significantly less.

To head off someone doing the math to say that chances of exposure are already small, over seven thousand people in FL found out they lost that bet yesterday, just a few posts above. Instead do the math problem on how many vaccine virus mutation interactions are statistically likely before an unfavorable mutation happens. The farther we stay from that number, the better.

havoc315

If you think it’s highly effective why are you advocating those of us who have completed their course not change their routine?

The CDC will be releasing new guidance soon that will relax their recommendations yet you advocate not changing your routine. It’s one or the other.

Never said they shouldn't change their routine. In fact, I said the opposite -- I said it appears totally safe for people who are vaccinated to congregate with other vaccinated people, without masks.

Now, whether they can stop wearing masks in large public gatherings with people who aren't vaccinated:

That's an entirely different story. (and this isn't according to me, this is according to every expert).... So there are 3 critical reasons you can't suddenly have huge maskless public gatherings:

1. Remember, you do NOT wear a mask primarily to protect yourself. The primary reason for wearing the mask is to protect OTHER people.

We do NOT know the degree to which the vaccine prevents TRANSMISSION of Covid. More and more evidence is coming out that it does reduce transmission but the data is just starting to come in. We don't know HOW MUCH it reduces transmission.

Since this is such a huge question mark -- We need to continue masking to protect others.

2. Furthermore, there are a lot of other unknowns. We know the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are HIGHLY EFFECTIVE in the short-term (first couple of months), against the previously dominant variants. We know they are less effective against the South African variant -- We don't really know HOW MUCH less effective.

Now, even if the vaccine becomes much less effective after 6 months.. even if it had poor effectiveness against the South African variant, and even if the SA variant grows -- It's extremely unlikely a vaccinated person would transmit it to another vaccinated person.
But, if either of those people are unvaccinated -- there could potentially be a very real risk both ways in that scenario.

3. I previously said you could immediately start to have maskless large gatherings if you required a vaccine passport -- If you guaranteed that every person present was vaccinated.
But if you don't have proof of vaccination, then you have no way of knowing who was vaccinated and who isn't.
Children don't even qualify for the vaccine but can face extremely serious complications from Covid infection, Multi-system inflammatory syndrome.
So in that large gathering mixing vaccinated adults with non-vaccinated adults with non-vaccinated children... how would you enforce a rule that only non-vaccinated people have to wear masks?? (And remember, go back to #1 -- You wear a mask to protect the people around you, you don't wear it to protect yourself).

havoc315

I would like to minimize how often the virus and any mutations are exposed to someone who is vaccinated. For the same reasons that antibiotics aren't given out like candy at the first sign of infection, to avoid selecting for resistant strains.

Even with people following their current routines, there's more than enough exposure happening already.

For a vaccinated person, exposures that are most likely to lead to nothing, and hence reduce spread. Once spread is reduced enough, chances of anyone, including a vaccinated person having an interaction with the virus will be significantly less.

To head off someone doing the math to say that chances of exposure are already small, over seven thousand people in FL found out they lost that bet yesterday, just a few posts above. Instead do the math problem on how many vaccine virus mutation interactions are statistically likely before an unfavorable mutation happens. The farther we stay from that number, the better.
THIS

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They usually release itinerary’s on Thursday with Platinum booking on Monday. Maybe they’ll be released tomorrow that would make sense.

They cancelled out till may today?

Earliest sail date is December - I’ll guess? I forget where the over/under is? 🤔

Fauci says I can't go out until Christmas.

He did not...but the less mass stupidity there is, the faster you move that date up.

It’s like fastpass for the intelligent.

Disney Experience

I am sure Pfizer will be or is working on one too, because the South African variant reduces protective antibodies (and thereby may impact effectiveness)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very good indeed.

Flugell

When some reviews of AZ is " minimal protection " from Covid, it looks not to be a big thumbs up.
Well that is definitely not the story or statistics that we have in the U.K. and to be honest I cannot fathom the reticence to use an efficient, easily administered and readily available vaccine. But maybe that means more for us so............
if the link doesn’t work correctly I apologise- have never tried to use one before!!

Lilofan

Well that is definitely not the story or statistics that we have in the U.K. and to be honest I cannot fathom the reticence to use an efficient, easily administered and readily available vaccine. But maybe that means more for us so............
if the link doesn’t work correctly I apologise- have never tried to use one before!!
Ashes Zeneca is not even a big factor in the USA. Pfizer and Moderna ( which I received ) are the big players.

James J

In the Parks
No
When some reviews of AZ is " minimal protection " from Covid, it looks not to be a big thumbs up.
It's mainly minimal protection from the SA variant, rather than all Covid. It's currently being rolled out in 50 countries, and for the original strain has 76% efficacy against symptomatic infection for three months after a single dose. This then goes up after the second dose.

A booster for the Autumn is being prepared to deal with the variants.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is AstraZeneca pretty much dead in the water at this point?
No clue. I think their trial is still running so it will eventually finish. Under the Warp Speed contracts I think we bought 200M doses of that one so if it gets FDA approval we have to buy the doses. If it’s too late for the US to use them I imagine they go to Covax or other countries who still need them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I am sure Pfizer will be or is working on one too, because the South African variant reduces protective antibodies (and thereby may impact effectiveness)
The true beauty of the mRNA technology on display :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom