Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Toad

It opens the door for critics because everything is looked at through a political lens. Nobody gives the benefit of the doubt ever. I'm not just talking about criticism of Desantis in this instance. I will guarantee you that if/when Biden targets minority communities there will be people who criticize that as pandering to his base when it makes sense from a statistical standpoint.

In this case, Desantis (correctly, in my opinion) has made vaccinations of people 65 and over the priority. He was given data about two zip codes with a high percentage of people in that age group and the same zip codes have the age group vaccinated at about half the rate of the overall Florida 65+ population. If you (not "you" specifically) didn't know who gave him the information and didn't know the racial makeup and median income of the zip codes, you wouldn't see an issue.

If there are zip codes with similar 65+ population ratios and vaccination rates that also have a significantly higher share of minorities and low income people and those zip codes ask for similar accommodations and are denied, then criticism can be warranted. Purely based on targeting these two zip codes, I think should be given the benefit of the doubt.
If he had stayed out of it personally and not initiated the process by personally calling a rich developer, instead keeping politics out of it by letting state and local health officials decide, I would agree with you. There's no doubt there are a lot of seniors in the area, but let's face it, there are a lot of seniors all over the state. As one of the articles noted, the number of reported COVID cases in the two zip codes chosen are much lower than in neighboring, less affluent zip codes. So the governor's actions, even if the intentions were good, point to at best a lack of reasoned judgement, and at worst, blatant favoritism. As an elected official, why even open yourself up to that sort of criticism and scrutiny?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It opens the door for critics because everything is looked at through a political lens. Nobody gives the benefit of the doubt ever. I'm not just talking about criticism of Desantis in this instance. I will guarantee you that if/when Biden targets minority communities there will be people who criticize that as pandering to his base when it makes sense from a statistical standpoint.

In this case, Desantis (correctly, in my opinion) has made vaccinations of people 65 and over the priority. He was given data about two zip codes with a high percentage of people in that age group and the same zip codes have the age group vaccinated at about half the rate of the overall Florida 65+ population. If you (not "you" specifically) didn't know who gave him the information and didn't know the racial makeup and median income of the zip codes, you wouldn't see an issue.

If there are zip codes with similar 65+ population ratios and vaccination rates that also have a significantly higher share of minorities and low income people and those zip codes ask for similar accommodations and are denied, then criticism can be warranted. Purely based on targeting these two zip codes, I think should be given the benefit of the doubt.
I actually agree with this in theory. Leaders need to do what’s right for the common good despite how that looks politically. The only caveat to that would be is he going to setup ”extra” doses for 65+ in Miami or somewhere else that isn’t going to vote for him? It has to be equal across the board. Get it done.

JoeCamel

I actually agree with this in theory. Leaders need to do what’s right for the common good despite how that looks politically. The only caveat to that would be is he going to setup ”extra” doses for 65+ in Miami or somewhere else that isn’t going to vote for him? It has to be equal across the board. Get it done.
Like someone else posted - Ron, sit down, you have people for this. Stop making political points off a pandemic..........

Heppenheimer

On another, related topic, are the current Nunavut-like conditions in Texas expected to have any effect on the manufacture and distribution of the vaccines (besides the obvious local delays in delivery)? I can't imagine that at least some parts of the vaccine chain wouldn't run through a state with as large and diverse of an economy as Texas.

Disney Experience

One Blood sent me a letter concerning my blood donation. The antibody test was “postive” and therefore I have been exposed to Coronavirus in the past.

Well.... maybe, maybe not. According to current CDC guidelines, people such as myself who have been vaccinated may show positive on some test. One blood will have to update their form letter now that people who both donate blood and are vaccinated exist.

From CDC:
Oh, and I checked the one blood site FAQ. They do state that the antibody test that they do does not distinguish between vaccinated or post covid.

From oneblood.org FAQ:

If I received the COVID-19 vaccine, will my blood donation test positive for the COVID-19 antibody?

The goal of the COVID-19 vaccination is for your body to develop an immune response to the virus and develop antibodies to COVID-19. Therefore, it is a possibility that after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine you will test positive for the COVID-19 antibody. At the present time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is evaluating further how the COVID-19 vaccination may affect antibody testing results.

How do I know if my positive COVID-19 antibody test result is from the vaccine, or if I really had COVID-19?

The test OneBlood performs does not differentiate between an antibody your body makes as a result of having had COVID-19 versus the antibody your body produces as a result of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. To make that determination it is recommended that you consult with your doctor.

ABQ

Like someone else posted - Ron, sit down, you have people for this. Stop making political points off a pandemic..........

He does have an election to win in a few years ;)
And if he were to sit down, the moment someone finds any sort of hiccup in vaccine distribution, they'd hammer him for not leading. He's damned if he does or doesn't. Bottom line is, compared to all 49 other states, it's hard to objectively say he's done poorly. My state is 2nd in doses administered, yet the governor is being bashed as the over 65 crowd is lagging behind in doses received. But as we have zero affluent counties, she can't do what DeSantis just did.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

And if her were to sit down, the moment someone finds any sort of hiccup in vaccine distribution, they'd hammer him for not leading. He's damned if he does or doesn't. Bottom line is, compared to all 49 other states, it's hard to objectively say he's done poorly. My state is 2nd in doses administered, yet the governor is being bashed as the over 65 crowd is lagging behind in doses received. But as we have zero affluent counties, she can't do what DeSantis just did.
Oh, once we got going and stopped trying to make the counties do the job it has been better. Might have been helped along with a disproportionate share of the distribution but it was never in doubt we have the people to do a lot of vaccines in a short amount of time.

Crowing about it and attracting attention to yourself for orders without execution is not heroic but just pathetic.

Ron did OK the first week or two when the virus hit but then lost his way til about two weeks ago.
There are people much more experienced in a mass health effort than he is, maybe he listens to experts but certainly shaves every opportunity in his favor to appear more than he is.

Oh Ronny, I don't think you should try this....

Last edited:

ABQ

Oh, once we got going and stopped trying to make the counties do the job it has been better. Might have been helped along with a disproportionate share of the distribution but it was never in doubt we have the people to do a lot of vaccines in a short amount of time.

Crowing about it and attracting attention to yourself for orders without execution is not heroic but just pathetic.

Ron did OK the first week or two when the virus hit but then lost his way til about two weeks ago.
There are people much more experienced in a mass health effort than he is, maybe he listens to experts but certainly shaves every opportunity in his favor to appear more than he is.
Well then if that's the case, then for the past year he's actually done well in delegating responsibility where it's needed and keeping himself out of the way.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 157 new reported deaths, along with 8 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.31.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.31.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.31.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.30.38 PM.png

Disney Experience

A nice article coming out in Cell tomorrow (but can be found in link below) on the adaptive immune system and sar-cov2 / covid. For those interested in the immune system biological details. Be forewarned, not counting references it is 14 pages long, so not a quick 1 or 2 page overview).

[ Sette and Crotty, Adaptive immunity to SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, Cell (2021), https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.cell.2021.01.007]

DisneyCane

Pretty well correlated that if you test more you get more cases. Means we need more testing.
I think I heard that somewhere before... :)

I disagree a bit about the more testing because the only way it would possibly be useful is if you tested a lot of asymptomatic people who didn't have known contacts with infected people. I just don't think you're going to get that many people who fall into that category who would want to be tested for what appears to them to be no apparent reason.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

View attachment 533041View attachment 533042

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker
Weather really hurting doses administered. I know in PA near me Rite Aid is cancelling their appointments for tomorrow due to weather :(. Their policy is to reschedule 3 weeks out which is really disappointing for the people who thought they would be almost done by then.

On a positive note 72,377,987 doses delivered and 57,395,477 administered so 14,982,510 unused. 7 day daily average is 1,609,204 doses administered a day. At that rate the unused doses represent about 9 days worth of doses. So this narrative that it takes weeks or even months from the time the doses arrive to the time they are used is not true. I know the numbers represent averages and every state varies, but on average we are on pace right now to use all the doses we currently have received within 9 days. In other words if we had received the last dose needed to vaccinate the last person who wanted it today they would have their first dose within 9 days not weeks or months later.

Disney Experience

bit off topic but re movie theaters anyone else kind of annoyed how their always coming last in the conversation when it comes to reopening?

I can see how that would be frustrating. But there are not many movies being widely distributed at this time. Though limited distributed movies under normal times do show up in New York City and Los Angeles.

Most movies have moved there showing out a year. this occurred a lot after Tenet came out in September.....and almost no one showed up in theaters. It is worth it for them to shelve a movie for a year even if done for the better revenue on release post covid.

Of course some are trying to simultaneous release as paid streaming and presentation in the movie theaters (Warner with HBO Max , and Disney(Mulan) with Disney+).

Browse the domestic release schedule and see the dearth of wide release movies in the upcoming months: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/calendar/?ref_=bo_lnav_hm_shrt
If you want to see the distribution channel move movies to later dates check out: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/calendar/changes/?ref_=bo_nb_rs_secondarytab

I went to a local IMAX for wonder woman 84 when it was in theaters. We were one of two couples in the IMAX theater.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom